Windows 10 defaults to 125% scale? Seriously?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 defaults to 125% scale? Seriously?

Post by StarWarsFan »

Returning and taking the time to look at a heap of apps that I coded during the past years, I now found out they all look shit on a newer PC running Windows 10, because that new Windows defaults to 125% scale

I can NOT go and recode plus recompile 80+ applications now that I coded under Windows7, I do not have the time for that.

So what is a quick and dirty way to make my applications look sensible under nowadays default of 125% scaling?

Constructive help very much appreciated.

// Moved to “General Discussion” (Kiffi)
Last edited by StarWarsFan on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image - There is usually a lot of "try this, maybe do that" but ONLY an example that one can test for themself and get an immediate result actually brings people forward.
chi
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows 10 defaults to 125% scale? Seriously?

Post by chi »

Did you check "Enable DPI aware executable (Windows)" under Compiler Options?
Et cetera is my worst enemy
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarWarsFan »

No, because that was not used back when I coded all those applications!
(Purebasic 5.41 and even before that)

So what is a quick and dirty way to make my old applications look sensible under nowadays default of 125% scaling?

THAT MEANS: without compiling them all again of course - I thought that would be logic after what I wrote (80+ applications!!!!)
Last edited by StarWarsFan on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image - There is usually a lot of "try this, maybe do that" but ONLY an example that one can test for themself and get an immediate result actually brings people forward.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

Add following line to your manifest (before </assembly>) with e.g. ResourceHacker or write a tool to edit all your applications at once

Code: Select all

<asmv3:application  xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">     <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">       <dpiAware>true</dpiAware>     </asmv3:windowsSettings>   </asmv3:application>
On second thoughts, that might only work with PB 5.70+ applications... But you could try

Or tell your customers to change high DPI settings for your application
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

There are just too many possible ways to solve this, from software manifests, through windows settings, (tools who change) (icon launch) properties, alternative launch methods, a resource hacker - so a google search link just seemed the easiest way to offer a wide variety of solutions with one click. Read them all and you have solutions for your next upcoming problems too :)
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarWarsFan »

chi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:36 pm Add following line to your manifest (before </assembly>) with e.g. ResourceHacker or write a tool to edit all your applications at once

<asmv3:application  xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">     <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">       <dpiAware>true</dpiAware>     </asmv3:windowsSettings>   </asmv3:application>
I am sorry, what manifest do you mean here?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

StarWarsFan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:17 pmWindows defaults to 125% scale
No, it doesn't: my Win 10 is and always has been 100% DPI - I've never changed it. All my old apps (from the year 2001) still look fine even if I switch to 125% DPI, too, because Windows auto-sizes them. Something else must be up with your PC?
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

Windows 10 actually deviates the default DPI settings from your resolution and screen size if available, as far as I know. So it depends on your hardware.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

If you have a 4k screen it recommends 150%, if have it on 125%. Just the reality now. And pc serious ly lagged behind mobile (and Apple) in that regard so it's about time we get retina too.

Sadly Windows never got it right and depends on the dev adjusting its applications... its api also just plain sucks in handling it. Unlike macOS. Anyway with Windows 10 it finally becomes feasible because of now there is at least only way to do it. PB still doesn't support the multiple monitor; multiple dpi scenario which is getting more common as that old monitor is connected next to the fancy hidpi one. Windows itself only supports it for a few years decently. Hope it gets fixed in PB gadget lib real soon.

Compat mode gives you unsharp everything but that should work.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

StarWarsFan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:41 pm
chi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:36 pm Add following line to your manifest (before </assembly>) with e.g. ResourceHacker or write a tool to edit all your applications at once

I am sorry, what manifest do you mean here?
Somebody should write a little FAQ :D
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Windows 10 recommends 150% for a 4K display. I go with 125%. The pc lagged behind and finally gets retina. Phones, tables and macs did it years before. Windows also took it's time to release a stable API and still relies on the dev to fix things. Wrong way. O, your not even there when you have your app retina ready. We now have the situation that your old monitor sits next to your fancy hi-dpi one, so per-monitor-dpi aware it is (application with multiple windows on different monitor or moving the application to another monitor). PB isn't as isn't it's gadget lib. I hope it gets fixed soon. It also took long time for Windows to have an API for that situation. Luckily we are here now with Windows 10 and a stabilized API... still a mess but a stable mess.

* ok, a bit double didn't check if I actually posted my previous ramblings ;)
Last edited by Rinzwind on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarWarsFan »

NicTheQuick wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 pm Windows 10 actually deviates the default DPI settings from your resolution and screen size if available, as far as I know. So it depends on your hardware.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you.
Rinzwind wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:00 am Sadly Windows never got it right and depends on the dev adjusting its applications... its api also just plain sucks in handling it.
How true.
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarWarsFan »

Bitblazer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:21 pm There are just too many possible ways to solve this, from software manifests, through windows settings, (tools who change) (icon launch) properties, alternative launch methods, a resource hacker - so a google search link just seemed the easiest way to offer a wide variety of solutions with one click. Read them all and you have solutions for your next upcoming problems too :)
Maybe. But looking at the sheer number of applications (80+) I need something that goes the automatic and "lazy-end-user-way", particularly because I can not bother the end users who still use my tools to go the most complicated ways. That ist just beyond them.