New Forum section for C Programming!

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

New Forum section for C Programming!

Post by Mijikai »

There is a Assembly Programming section on the forum so it would be nice to also have a C Programming section :P
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Re: New Forum section for C Programming!

Post by idle »

+1
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Mijikai wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:47 pm There is a Assembly Programming section on the forum so it would be nice to also have a C Programming section
So scary seeing this type of request for a Basic product. Seems like the product is switching away from Basic very rapidly these days.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It always been like this, inline assembly is available since PB 2.00 and is much more difficult than inline C, so it's probably the reverse, it's getting more and more BASIC friendly :D
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Additionally, it wouldn't hurt to have full C support in the IDE as well. I.e. not built-in but, for example, editing and building in a common project or separately modules (libraries) in pure C. With the ability to choose the built-in GCC compiler or an external one.
Dawn will come inevitably.
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

Yes absolute no need for C , or even assembly
Neither as examples. Neither "features" .. we are BASIC
and neen to think and act like basic.

There several C distros out theree for everyone he prefers ....
Christos
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Im really puzzeled by some of the replies.
BarryG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:48 am
Mijikai wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:47 pm There is a Assembly Programming section on the forum so it would be nice to also have a C Programming section
So scary seeing this type of request for a Basic product. Seems like the product is switching away from Basic very rapidly these days.
How so, inline FASM and C are great features ?
Both make PB more powerful and versatile.
We could also discuss the creation of C libs in such a forum - a big bonus.
plouf wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 am Yes absolute no need for C , or even assembly

So lets just ignore one of the best features of PB - inline FASM/C ?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

My fear is that we'll start getting only get tips and tricks in future that are all C code. Or if I ask a question and I get a C example on how to do it. That's not what I bought PureBasic for. Anyway, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.
Lord
Addict
Addict

Post by Lord »

plouf wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 am Yes absolute no need for C , or even assembly

BarryG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:18 pm My fear is that we'll start getting only get tips and tricks in future that are all C code. Or if I ask a question and I get a C example on how to do it. That's not what I bought PureBasic for. Anyway, we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.
+1
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

How many people do you think are here because they are beginners with no exposure to programming? Very few, i would guess. Most came because of a past experience.

And of those of us who are not absolute newbies, many would probably prefer to take advantage of the full capabilities of the compiler... This is evidenced by the regular use of assembler. However, C is much easier than asm, so I would guess it gets more heavily used as time goes on.

Inline C greatly simplifies using libraries from e.g. GitHub. That's a huge benefit!
GoodNPlenty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by GoodNPlenty »

I understand your point of being strictly BASIC but this limits PureBasic in my opinion. Having the ability to inline assembly and C adds incredible power and capability. This allows PureBasic to be viewed as much more than a hobby language allowing sales to corporations and gives developers additional ways to promote its capabilities. It has been difficult to overcome the bias that some have about BASIC and having the ability to say that the source does include some C language and compiles with a C compiler is very powerful. This equates to additional individual and site license sales giving much needed revenue for Fred and team.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

I once said coding in pb is like coding in c on acid. It's like wow man it's so easy
And now it's almost true except it's cookies.

C backend will facilitate pb growing into the commercial sector as it shows it true rad potential. Every man and his dog use python but why what advantages does it have. It's simple syntax and the plethora of modules.
When people realize they will be able to import a c library or dll with one click what you going say or do then.
Pb could even be set up to cross compile with a bit of hacking so you get windows Linux osx and pi builds all in one go.

Seems to me there's a lot of people bemoaning advancement which will only directy benefit the purists down stream just because we like our Ferraris doesn't stop tou driving around in your trilabants .
Bring it on let's see pb user base double or triple but it won't do that if Fred ties our hands behind our backs.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Mijikai wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:47 pm There is a Assembly Programming section on the forum so it would be nice to also have a C Programming section :P
I'm a strong +1.

I know I'm not vocal very often (mostly due to time), but I've been here for well over ten years, and pop in regularly. I think I have a pretty good handle on who the community is here.

1. My opinion is the new forum section should NOT simply be called "C programming," but SHOULD be called something that has PureBasic in the name, like "PureBasic C programming" or "C code inside PB" or whatever. This will help reduce the people who are not using pb.

2. For the naysayers... Coders gonna code! Having a forum section for C will NOT reduce the pb code. What it WILL do is make it easier for you to avoid C if that's what you want, by segregating it. Those of us who want to include inline C or C libraries are going to do it, regardless. Those of us who are going to post about it are going to post about it on this forum, regardless. Just like the asm section, it's a PB feature that pb supports, and it WILL get discussed. A separate section will just help separate it from other topics.

3. For the basic purists, I'm sorry to break the news to you, but you've come to the wrong place. PB has always been a two-language per project language, even if you didn't take advantage of it. As Fred said, asm has been there since the beginning. Now, we can choose C instead of asm. It is already a steady topic on this forum.
If you want a pure "basic only" forum, there are plenty of others to choose from. Oh, wait, did you say they all died? Well, we 70s & 80s basic programmers are getting older; some of us are dying, and some are moving to more modern languages.
At least pb let's us use an alternate language (C) of "similar" age within it!

There are no down sides, no matter what your coding preference is.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

4. It's part of pb; it's here to stay.

5. There are no other forums to discuss C in a PB environment.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Inline C-Code Programming
Bare metal programming in PureBasic, for experienced users
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive