2023 is almost over, is there a PureBasic Report Writer yet?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
kweatherhead
New User
New User

2023 is almost over, is there a PureBasic Report Writer yet?

Post by kweatherhead »

I need to be able to generate a report, preferably a PDF that I can view, save or print.
I need this to work on both Windows and MACs which is why I was hoping that such
an animal had been developed in PureBasic and would be cross-platform capable.

I have looked for ArticReports BUT have been unable to locate. I desire to do my
project in the most current version of PB v6.03+. I noticed ddoc but it seems to
be relatively old, too.

I would rather not have to use raw PDF library if I can help it. What are my
options to support my app?

Regards,
Keith
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Re: 2023 is almost over, is there a PureBasic Report Writer yet?

Post by infratec »

kweatherhead
New User
New User

Post by kweatherhead »

The following link in the first article referenced
(https://kc2000labs.110mb.com/pb/zips/4.31/pdf_1.3.zip)
appears to be no longer be valid. As I am newer to PureBasic going to the owners site I see
references to both VB and PowerBasic... which is closer to the PureBasic needs?

Yes I have found pbPDF since posting....

Regards,
Keith
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

also there are myriad other ways

print... printing in ALL platforms support pdf export
csv , easy cross platform
xlsx there are also some excell plugin in forum
external tools , like ghostscript
HTML , easy to create it manualy, and super cross platform
Christos
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Valentina Studio Pro has a Black Friday promotion on at the moment, you can get the universal version (Linux, Mac & Windows) for $200.

Valentina Studio Pro enables you to visually design database reports, then end users use Valentina Studio Free to run them ( or your app calls Valentina Studio Free to generate them via a command line interface ).

Alternatively you can serve the reports by getting a license for Valentina Reports Server.

Btw I'm not associated with Paradigma Software in any way, I've just used the reports before in a previous project.
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

srod has made one, it's very good afaik although I haven't used it. Contact him and he'll likely make a copy available to you.
BERESHEIT
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

I don't think anybody's heard from srod since 2020 and he doesn't reply to their messages.
thanos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by thanos »

Hello.
The Pyrex Suite (ArticReports and its print engine) is the best you could think of. With a minimal code you can do amazing things.
I am using it as the report system in my commercial selling ERP and I don't have the slightest shortage.
The only downside is that its interface is a bit outdated and you can't export the data. But you can export the report contents in pdf by using a pdf printer.
Unfortunately Stephen who has always been very kind and helpful has not responded to my messages since 2020.
If a registered user doesn't need the Pyrex Suite and you can buy it, I think it will be the best investment you have made.
You can follow infratec suggestions for PDF.
Another two suggestions are:
1]. Report Manager. https://reportman.sourceforge.io/ It's free and it's very good.
2]. Another proposal, you can see is the CD Print And Preview https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=67703 by collectordave
Regards

thanos
» myPersonal Banker :: Because you do not need to have a master degree in economics in order to organize your finances!
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

thanos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:37 pm The Pyrex Suite (ArticReports and its print engine) is the best you could think of. With a minimal code you can do amazing things.
I assume, thanos, that Pyrex Suite is a PureBasic application then? I just searched for it and I only found references to PureBasic and the Pyrex cooking bowls too, which are rather useful :D

Reports are very much something that I'm interested in also, as I come from a database and ERP background, sales and purchase order processing, accounts, stock control etc. and I wrote a PDF report writer and business forms generator in PICK Databasic three years ago. A client has been using it very successfully, including invoices with company logo and various graphics, but I haven't yet had time to convert it to PureBasic. That is my intention anyway as I really dislike dependency on third-party software. I construct and write the PDF file natively and do not require any external software or utilities.

I might try to set some time aside and work on the PureBasic conversion, but it's just a problem finding the time.
thanos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by thanos »

Oso wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:29 pm
thanos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:37 pm The Pyrex Suite (ArticReports and its print engine) is the best you could think of. With a minimal code you can do amazing things.
I assume, thanos, that Pyrex Suite is a PureBasic application then? I just searched for it and I only found references to PureBasic and the Pyrex cooking bowls too, which are rather useful :D

Reports are very much something that I'm interested in also, as I come from a database and ERP background, sales and purchase order processing, accounts, stock control etc. and I wrote a PDF report writer and business forms generator in PICK Databasic three years ago. A client has been using it very successfully, including invoices with company logo and various graphics, but I haven't yet had time to convert it to PureBasic. That is my intention anyway as I really dislike dependency on third-party software. I construct and write the PDF file natively and do not require any external software or utilities.

I might try to set some time aside and work on the PureBasic conversion, but it's just a problem finding the time.
The Pyrex Suite is a suite had been developed in PureBasic for Win 32. Amazingly small and fast. Believe it or not it is complete report designer and system. Amazing quality. Hard to believe that is an application developed by only one person.
That is my intention anyway as I really dislike dependency on third-party software.
In some cases you can not avoid it. The Pyrex Suite is the only third party component I am using in my ERP. Invoices, reports, receipts, accounts, stock reports, statistic reports etc.all done with Pyrex Suite.
For the conversion follow the infratec's suggestions. The pbPDF-Module by Thorsten1867 is excellent.
Don't waste your time! Convert it as soon as possible.
PureBasic is a true weapon!
Regards

Thanos
» myPersonal Banker :: Because you do not need to have a master degree in economics in order to organize your finances!
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

thanos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:37 pm In some cases you can not avoid it. The Pyrex Suite is the only third party component I am using in my ERP. Invoices, reports, receipts, accounts, stock reports, statistic reports etc.all done with Pyrex Suite. For the conversion follow the infratec's suggestions. The pbPDF-Module by Thorsten1867 is excellent.
We have to be able to support and know our own commercial product, not be dependent on someone else's code. As you said, you've not been able to contact the author of the report generator. But yes, agreed in some cases there can be justification for using another tool.
thanos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by thanos »

Oso wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:26 am
thanos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:37 pm In some cases you can not avoid it. The Pyrex Suite is the only third party component I am using in my ERP. Invoices, reports, receipts, accounts, stock reports, statistic reports etc.all done with Pyrex Suite. For the conversion follow the infratec's suggestions. The pbPDF-Module by Thorsten1867 is excellent.
We have to be able to support and know our own commercial product, not be dependent on someone else's code. As you said, you've not been able to contact the author of the report generator. But yes, agreed in some cases there can be justification for using another tool.
As you can see the pbPDF-Module by Thorsten1867 is excellent and provided with high quality full source code, under MIT License
Regards

Thanos