Open Source Game Programming Library\Engine

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
theDan
New User
New User

Open Source Game Programming Library\Engine

Post by theDan »

I was looking for a good 2-D game engine for my purposes but never found it (which doesn't mean there isn't one out there). Anyway I need some people to help. Any level of experience would be ok with me. I have already started and have written a few functions and would like some help with the GUI (mine sux).

Anyway it's gonna be written in %100 PB, have internet functions (later), and things to deal with items, input, files, sounds, WinAPI (lightly), etc. Basicly something to allow a new PB coder to bypass all the confusing stuff without limiting control (a whole bunch of broken-down functions with enough variables for people to control everything the feel like controlling). This won't eliminate the main coding aspect. Anyway anybody can do what they feel like (please let me know so we don't write the same thing), I don't need help for any of this but I can have alot more features added and a release alot quicker if you do so. Or if you just have a request or suggestion that's fine too.
What good is frosting when the cake is bad? - fortune cookie
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

I was looking for a good 2-D game engine for my purposes but never found it
Whats wrong with PB's built-in 2D commands? Or, are you just wanting an easy to use wrapper for those commands?
theDan
New User
New User

Post by theDan »

Well, in short, nothing is wrong with PB's commands. However this is not what the goal of the engine is. I wanted to create functions like:

loadTileSet(various parameters)

that do not exist in PureBASIC, and try to avoid wrappers and needless functions as much as possible.
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

Might be better and easier if you just did a wrapper for SDL ;)
Shannara
Addict
Addict

Post by Shannara »

It doesnt exist as native PB functions but several people on these forums, like myself, have created engines that does just that :) Though this might be better in the games forum instead of announcements? I Donno.
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

Shannara: Please, shut up and update Pure Basic News, LOL. I keep going there to see whats new, and there is nothing listed. Come on, man. We want news! We want news! We want news! :P
Epyx
User
User

Post by Epyx »

Hi
Try my Lib FX Lib , specialy to create GFX Demos or Games. Maybe its useful for you ?!!
If you can't make it good, at least make it look good.
Bill Gates
theDan
New User
New User

Post by theDan »

Well as to the section it goes in I have no idea (I barely use the forums). Anyway I did see a few other libs that looked interesting but they weren't what I had in mind. Oh and the GFXlib looked awesome, unfortunately, I do not know German.
Shannara
Addict
Addict

Post by Shannara »

Brice Manuel wrote:Shannara: Please, shut up and update Pure Basic News, LOL. I keep going there to see whats new, and there is nothing listed. Come on, man. We want news! We want news! We want news! :P

Heh, I didnt know anybody visted that site. Hrmph, Oki dok then!

Back on subject ...

I think a general 2d engine that the community can use would be quite helpful.
theDan
New User
New User

Post by theDan »

Oh well I guess no one wants to help. I will gradually do it in my free time as I see fit. Perhaps I can have something by the end of October, because right now Im really busy. Anyway if anyone wants to help between now and then the door is still open. But for now I will start coding away.
Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel »

I don't think that its people do not want to help. I think some may not be quite sure exactly what you are after. "Game Engine" is really vague and the specifics would vary greatly between different game genres. RPG, RTS, Platform, etc all require vastly different game engines.
loadTileSet(various parameters)
Unless it has been removed, there is a lib/code on PureArea.Net that loads tile maps created with Tile Studio. (I seem to remember seeing it long ago)
Try my Lib FX Lib , specialy to create GFX Demos or Games. Maybe its useful for you
Please, try and find somebody to convert this to English. It looks interesting :wink:
Truth_Seeker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Truth_Seeker »

Although I also agree this should be in the Game Programming Section, I am also creating a simple 2d game engine. It sorta would be nice if PB did all of it for us but I also am enjoying learning and creating it myself. Plus I have a greater understanding on how things work.

So far I have:

FullScreen
Windowed
ZOrdering (need to make it so that it can be wrapped)
Display Frames per second

I know it is a small list and I plan on adding a simple particle engine and something to keep track of things like bullets. After adding the last 2 I will probably start working on some kind of game (have not decided yet).

I know there is alot more I could add, like map loading, sound engine, AI, map editor, background tiling, and maybe a scripting language so that the users can modify the game. But all of those are specific to what game you create and cant really be generic.

Krylar has created a game programming book for PB: http://www.krylarskreations.com/pb_book.shtml even though I have not bought it myself, I am greatly tempted. I will also release the source code to the simple 2d engine that I am creating on the forums, if anyone will want it. I think it will be good start for people wanting to program 2d games.

And maybe we can hold contests for making quick simple games using the engine, I dont know, just a idea. But over all I would like too see more games created with PB. PB has a really nice 2d library, although I wish it could do more, it is good enough to start off with.

Of course if your making your own engine, dont wait for me to finish mine, because it will be a lot more fun to make your own. I would not want to prevent anyone from experiencing that. Now if you need help (dont we all, atleast I do) here is a really nice site for BlitzBasic (hopefuly that language will be beaten by PB near the end of next year, not that the language is bad, just that PB rocks!): http://www.blitzcoder.com/articles.shtml it gives lots of nice tips, I sure hope that site does not go down any time soon. I have not been able to find one like it anywhere.

I have probably caused you guys a headache from reading this huge reply but I would like to think it was worth it :). If you have any advice or opinions, dont be afraid to reply to this reply.
Thanks
Truth Seeker