Network play

Advanced game related topics
whertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network play

Post by whertz »

Is adding netplay over the internet or LAN difficult to do? Here's what I want to do:

Let's say I have a four player game, simulataneous play on one PC. I want to have the option of selecting the controls for each player, or have them be controlled by a remote player on a network or the internet.

Anyone done a game with netplay? If so, is it a massive undertaking?
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

Its massive especially the first time. But it also depends on how complicated you make it. I recommend finding some ebooks on it.
whertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by whertz »

Hehehe, better leave it then I think. Making a game is hard enough as it is.
Thalius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

might help...

Post by Thalius »

Am currently fiddling myself some Examples together for Netplay ( Well messages are easy .. tho keepin a real game synced is .. ugh ) atm.
If you haven't time to read big into TCP/IP you could use
Kylars Netlib:
http://www.krylarskreations.com/knl.shtml

am atm testing some stuff with it atm bc. the compiled example is horrid =P

Otherwise you could use DirectPlay() .. heres a little Tutorial on gamesdev.net ( good site btw, lots of ressources )
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/progra ... res/dplay/

..its not PB but you might get a lil insight into whats behind it at least.

Hope this helps...

Thalius
whertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by whertz »

Thanks, but I've decided to abandon netplay for the moment. I need to concentrate on finishing the game.
Joakim Christiansen
Addict
Addict

Post by Joakim Christiansen »

It's not too hard, try making a chat program first. :wink:
I like logic, hence I dislike humans but love computers.
dagcrack
Addict
Addict

Post by dagcrack »

I'd say that would help a lot if you're just starting!
After that, go for more!

a 2d screen with 2 circles (each circle a player) you should update their movement based on X milliseconds (say half a second or less) and reflect the new data on the graphics.

once you've got that nailed, implement some linear interpolation on the values, so the movement would be smooth with out having to send lots and lots of data every 10ms or so (heh that wouldnt help you much anyway on the net, wouldnt be a good idea at all!).

once thats ready and working, you're ready to implement networking on your game..
! Black holes are where God divided by zero !
My little blog!
(Not for the faint hearted!)
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

http://www.shadowturtle.de/sacede.zip

MMORPG Example with Blitzbasic or whatever(how many Blitzes are aviable?)
bye,
Daniel
dagcrack
Addict
Addict

Post by dagcrack »

...BlitzBasic IS the language, not a package. The released packages by blitz research that included "blitzbasic" language were:

Blitz2D (dx7 based)
Blitz+ (includes blitz2d + windows gui)
Blitz3D (dx7 based)

thats it.

the new bmax doesnt use blitzbasic, but a new variant of it. (kind of a "c" wannabe)

(you still want to stay away from any of those packages ;!!)

(laughs)

an MMORPG server in blitzbasic .. good one!!!!!!
pff ahahahah!! still laugthing here :)
How childish :/ They should of used C at least for such thing, mmorpg servers could be very loaded, and using bb is definetly not a good idea to process all that data. It might just be an exercise project I hope for their sake.
My little blog!
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

dagcrack wrote:How childish :/ They should of used C at least for such thing, mmorpg servers could be very loaded, and using bb is definetly not a good idea to process all that data. It might just be an exercise project I hope for their sake.
They? It was just one who programmed. And he is good, very good. I don't know much about BlitzWhatever.
bye,
Daniel
Thalius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Thalius »

am gonna hack some example server / linux / windows together.. eg somethin to fill out as base for a simple lil gameserver.

Posting once i erradicated the bugs ... =P

Thalius
Shannara
Addict
Addict

Post by Shannara »

dagcrack wrote: an MMORPG server in blitzbasic .. good one!!!!!!
pff ahahahah!! still laugthing here :)
How childish :/ They should of used C at least for such thing, mmorpg servers could be very loaded, and using bb is definetly not a good idea to process all that data. It might just be an exercise project I hope for their sake.
(laughs)

Should use C for such thing? haahha, hahaha, good one, I hope for your sake, your just kidding. :roll:
dagcrack
Addict
Addict

Post by dagcrack »

Well this is a purebasic forum isnt it, this is basic. isnt it a joke, it could be. Depends on your sense of humour.

I hope you Dont dare to compare the speed of C against BB because I will make you have sex with mark sibley. You cant compare them, C is fast, BB isnt. Thats the whole story. You sure can programm slow code in C as you can in BB, however the entire bundle is slow. That is no excuse. You cant host 100.000+ players in a B3D based server, the performance would not even be close to 60% as if was made in C.

If you don't believe me, I really don't care.
:wink:

I have my proven reasons for this.
My little blog!
dagcrack
Addict
Addict

Post by dagcrack »

DarkDragon wrote:
dagcrack wrote:How childish :/ They should of used C at least for such thing, mmorpg servers could be very loaded, and using bb is definetly not a good idea to process all that data. It might just be an exercise project I hope for their sake.
They? It was just one who programmed. And he is good, very good. I don't know much about BlitzWhatever.
Good? good for your standards :wink:
My little blog!
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

dagcrack wrote:
DarkDragon wrote:
Good? good for your standards :wink:
Would his mapeditor be sold then? :roll: I know I know I'm a noob, nobody has to tell me this.
bye,
Daniel