PureCrypt: Anyone using this library please read!

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PureCrypt: Anyone using this library please read!

Post by Hatonastick »

Ok, if people from the German PureBASIC forum (or any other non-English forum) read this, please pass on the following information.

DO NOT USE PureCrypt and remove from all download sites. Why? Because it was written back when I did not understand how DLL's should be written under Windows. There are a few issues with it as it is now. One of which is major (but only through constant, repeated use). Also the current library release is not compatible with the current PureBASIC release I believe.

Now the good news. I'm in the process of writing a new version called HatCrypt. This will contain a library for the current version of PB as well as a DLL suitable for Game Maker. This library will contain the following:
Hashes:
- SHA-1
- SHA-256
- SHA-512
- MD5 (not needed for PB of course - this is the only one that might not make it into the final library).
Ciphers:
- Blowfish.
- Twofish.
- TEA.
- AES (Rijndael).
It won't be multi-threaded and I won't be adding any other ciphers or hashes. It will be fully open source and it will be written in the free Pelles C compiler so if someone needs to add something or fix a bug and I'm unavailable, then they will be able to do it themselves. It will also be Windows only, so sorry for those Mac and Linux users.

If you are trying to use PureCrypt and having difficulties, please remove and wait for this version.

Sorry for any inconvenience, also I'd like to apologise to anyone who has been trying to contact me. Inbetween cronic illness, mucho spammo at the previously given Hal9000 mail address, CoH/CoV madness, and the very seldom occasions that I've been on ICQ, I haven't been easy to get in touch with.

Please use the following address if you need to get in touch (letters and symbols only, remove all numbers):
j3a1r4r5a1t7t8.d9a2v1i3s5@7g4m3a7i8l2.c3o6m4
Please forgive my poor English, I'm an Australian.
dige
Addict
Addict

Post by dige »

Please post here, if there some news. thx
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi Hatonastick,

Nice to hear, that you plan to rewrite the library. I would like to see such code as PB-code. I like the idea to use the cipher-codes using linux, too. And executables without any librarys (DLL).

Isn't it you, who wrote on his website to focus on the real important things in life? No more programing in future? Have you found back the way to your computer? Or do I take you for someone else?

Ah, who cares? Nice to have you back in the community!

Kukulkan
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hatonastick »

Hello again Kukulkan, long time no see. :)

It will be released as a PureBASIC library so no DLL necessary. The DLL will be for those who also use Game Maker. I've got an idea that entails using GM for the client and PB for the server so this library is very much needed by me (so will definitely get done).

I won't be releasing it for Linux, however converting it wouldn't take much time if someone else wanted to do it. I've just got to keep a limit on the time I spend on such projects.

Well life is a funny old thing really. As I said above, I'm chronically ill which means (for those who speak English as a second language) I've been sick for a long time (around 5 years), and not likely to get better any time soon. So there are times when I just can't think well enough to program. Hence that announcement. Unfortunately at those times when I feel the worst, I tend to forget that the problems I face happen in "seasons", which means that they eventually pass and I'm able to return to programming. I've been programming for 21 years now and it's a little hard for me to give it up permanently just yet. :) So yes, that was me and thankfully it still is me. ;)

Take care all,

Jarratt
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi Jarratt,

Ah, I remember now. Your post tells me, that you are currently in a 'good season' and it is nice to hear that you are ok, so far... By the way, my best wishes to you. Maybe, some day, you are healthy again.

Your library would be very nice to have. I would use it in an actual project, if possible. There I need SHA-256 and Blowfish (256 Bit). Actually I use diCryptoSys.dll, but it is still another file to distribute...

It would be nice, if you can add some wrapper around all the functions to work alternatively with binary or HEX-data...

Kukulkan
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hatonastick »

Kukulkan wrote:Hi Jarratt,
There I need SHA-256 and Blowfish (256 Bit). Actually I use diCryptoSys.dll, but it is still another file to distribute...

It would be nice, if you can add some wrapper around all the functions to work alternatively with binary or HEX-data...

Kukulkan
It will have Blowfish and Twofish ciphers. So far I've added:
Hashes:
- SHA-1 (GM: Done)
- SHA-256 (GM: Done)
- SHA-512 (GM: Done) (I could add the other SHA types, but I don't see the point)
- MD5 (GM: Done, PB: Not needed)

I've yet to add:
Ciphers:
- Blowfish.
- Twofish.
- AES (Rijndael).
- RC6.

PRNGs:
- RC4.
- Sober128.
- Yarrow (requires a cipher to work).
- There are some others I have floating around that I might throw in too.

Originally I wasn't going to take requests, but if there are any other Ciphers/Hashes or PSRNGs that people want, then please let me know. However before anyone makes any requests: I won't be adding extras (ie. non-ciphers/hashes or PRNGs) such as Diffie-Hellman key exchange. People can do that with PureBASIC. I just want to keep this as simple as possible.

Once all the Ciphers/Hashes and PRNGs people want are in, then it's going fully open source/public domain (actually I'll be throwing the source code in with the zip file). So if someone needs to add something in the future, they can do so without my assistance. It should be reasonably painless to convert to Linux/MacOS if someone wants to do it. I won't be as my Linux box won't talk to my wireless network due to a minor hardware issue. Plus the fact that it's ancient and unstable probably don't help. :)

Anyway K I was wondering what you meant by adding a wrapper for binary and hex? There really shouldn't be any difference, at least I wouldn't have thought so. Hmm or are you refering to output from the library? If you can explain what you meant by that I'll certainly give it a go.
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

anything asymetric :-) but i'm so unfamiliar with encryption that i wouldn't know if you already added one...
( PB6.00 LTS Win11 x64 Asrock AB350 Pro4 Ryzen 5 3600 32GB GTX1060 6GB)
( The path to enlightenment and the PureBasic Survival Guide right here... )
CherokeeStalker
User
User

News ? ? ?

Post by CherokeeStalker »

Any updates / news on this ?
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

Bump!
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hatonastick »

Hi guys.

Sorry I've been away for a long time. I haven't programmed anything, in any language for months now (and boy does the brain get rusty without being used). I've got a lot of other things going on in my life right now, building a house being one of those (it's finally starting to happen beyond preparation), and so this is unlikely to be finished anytime soon - indeed it may never be finished. Note that I said "may". :) I really can't be more definite than that.

Jarratt

PS If I can get my head around programming again, and if I get the time, then I will do this. I hate leaving things unfinished but it happens all too often.
Rings

Post by Rings »

release unfinished/abadon projects as source, so any other guys can finish that :)
SPAMINATOR NR.1
Hatonastick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Hatonastick »

Sounds like JCV(I think that's right) is working on a more up-to-date library which does the same sort of thing. Anyway I had a bit of a tinker with mine last night after thinking about it a bit, so I'm not quite ready to release the source to the public just yet. It's not abandoned - it's just being worked on very, very, very, very (I think you get the idea) slowly.