PureMessenger

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

naw wrote:Please design Pure Messenger so that it can run *naked* ie without a skin.
thats the idea for now :lol:
Pure and Naked :lol:
naw wrote:I think I read earlier that it is working without a GUI and I think that is interesting too - many Linux users are anti-GUI and a console mode (simple command line User Interface would be neat too) and could perhaps become a valuable scriptable tool.
working without a GUI? nope, just doesnt have one yet. someone will probably be able to make a command line version of it in the future if they so desire.
naw wrote:I had an idea a while ago (I think it might be original) for users *avatars* to have speech bubbles to show text. That might be a neat looking hook for people. Perhaps the idea could be developed.
sounds kinda like IMVU. http://imvu.com :?
maybe someone with the time could implement it (if its not patented etc)

and if anyone wants to take a look, i updated the website: http://puremessenger.us.to
Demonio Ardente

Currently managing Linux & OS X Tailbite
OS X TailBite now up to date with Windows!
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

created a topic with poll, please vote http://purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?p=214562
Demonio Ardente

naw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by naw »

sounds kinda like IMVU. http://imvu.com :?
maybe someone with the time could implement it (if its not patented etc)
Thats quite a lot more sophisticated (almost sim city) but I guess it certainly has been done - oh well another (not very) original idea for the bin.
Ta - N
dontmailme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by dontmailme »

If you go for a smiley icon than I suggest the program is called 'Happy Talk' or something similar.

Making the icon match the name would be a good move...

Puremessenger will not make sense to many people.... only Purebasic guys will understand the name, and I don't think you'll ever get an icon that says... .. 'PureMessenger' :(
Paid up PB User !
Thalius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Thalius »

PureMessenger = PM : implicates also -> Personal Message "Common" - which when shortening it up in an Icon isnt too bad of an Idea actually. ;)

Thalius
"In 3D there is never enough Time to do Things right,
but there's always enough Time to make them *look* right."
"psssst! i steal signatures... don't tell anyone! ;)"
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

It would be good to get a PureMessenger working.
I am willing to test for dialup speed of 50000 bps, cos i'm still on dialup.
Keep up the good work.
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

dontmailme wrote:Puremessenger will not make sense to many people.... only Purebasic guys will understand the name, and I don't think you'll ever get an icon that says... .. 'PureMessenger' :(
well then explain the meaning of Adium and its icon.
does the name Adium make u think of a green duck like thing? (if the association isnt there)
i wouldn't think so.
'Pure' could also mean 'without bloat', 'fast', etc.
we need something unique to stand out from the rest
Demonio Ardente

dontmailme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by dontmailme »

lexvictory wrote:
dontmailme wrote:Puremessenger will not make sense to many people.... only Purebasic guys will understand the name, and I don't think you'll ever get an icon that says... .. 'PureMessenger' :(
well then explain the meaning of Adium and its icon.
does the name Adium make u think of a green duck like thing? (if the association isnt there)
i wouldn't think so.
'Pure' could also mean 'without bloat', 'fast', etc.
we need something unique to stand out from the rest
I think you miss my point.....

Adium is a meaningless word, it was made up by a guy called adam......

Therefore the icon can also be meaningless!

Trillian is another meaningless word......

Pure and Messenger are not meaningless, therefore you want the user to get the idea that this is small/fast... whatever.... and a happy face is not the right icon for this.

If you want the user to think it's fast, then you name it something like Cheetah etc..... or Small might be Ant.... etc....

and if you want this messenger to compete with the big boys..... then a great name and icon is very important..... otherwise people will not bother to use it.

This is why I suggested using the great happy face icon, but calling the program something which conveys the icon....

But, this is just my opinion, and even I don't always agree with myself! :D
Paid up PB User !
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

dontmailme wrote:..and even I don't always agree with myself! :D
:P me too (neither)
lexvictory
Addict
Addict

Post by lexvictory »

the way i see it, 'pure' can be interpreted as many things. this is up to everyone individually.
but, the icons we've come up relate mainly to the 'Messenger' part.
most people associate messenger with emoticons, speech, etc.
and if you look at the website, it states that its made in purebasic. so smart people would probably make that connection.

make sense?
Demonio Ardente

Joakim Christiansen
Addict
Addict

Post by Joakim Christiansen »

Nice webpage you put up for it, and using a GPL license is also cool I think! :)

Maybe I can help with some features. I got a good idea on how to make the program translatable in a way which keeps the code "clean", just like I did in my TV software:

Code: Select all

MessageRequester(L(#L_Update_check),L(#L_No_new_version_available))
I can help you implement this and then translating it to any language should be super easy. I can also implement it with automatic updating, etc.

Maybe we should start writing a todo list for the program and in it also write down which people will work on what. And maybe discuss how we will manage the development, maybe with a system like Trac? ( http://trac.edgewall.org )
I like logic, hence I dislike humans but love computers.
michaeled314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by michaeled314 »

Wait Guys Don't you need an application icon

Code: Select all

SendMessage_(hWnd,#WM_SETICON,0,YourIconHandle)
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

Puremessenger will not make sense to many people.... only Purebasic guys will understand the name, and I don't think you'll ever get an icon that says... .. 'PureMessenger'
Hmm I kinda think the name is a bit too.... pure? I mean all the messengers have the "-Messenger" suffix. Isn't that a bit "smoked" ? I suggest we find a good name for it... Just my 5 cents.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. (Goethe)
michaeled314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by michaeled314 »

How about friend-caller-upper :lol:
Irene
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Irene »

Inf0Byt3 wrote:
Puremessenger will not make sense to many people.... only Purebasic guys will understand the name, and I don't think you'll ever get an icon that says... .. 'PureMessenger'
Hmm I kinda think the name is a bit too.... pure? I mean all the messengers have the "-Messenger" suffix. Isn't that a bit "smoked" ? I suggest we find a good name for it... Just my 5 cents.
May I make a suggestion? Talkyptica ^o^