Programming 2D Scrolling Games (V 4.61 & 5.0) Book Released!

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
wysardry
User
User

Re: Programming 2D Scrolling Games (V 4.61 & 5.0) Book Relea

Post by wysardry »

I've heard that for Kindle .mobi, the best format to convert from is HTML. If you're using Word, saving as filtered HTML gives the best results.

You might also want to look at Mobipocket Creator and Kindle Writer.

As for pricing, the $2.99 to $9.99 range gives the highest royalty rates on Amazon.
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Thanks for the info. Actually tried the html route and a few different apps, including the trial of writer...but the all struggle with the code and images.
Hadrian
User
User

Post by Hadrian »

Krylar wrote: If anyone has experience with a really solid service that allows authors to publish in a secure fashion using PDF and ePub, and where customers are protected and ensured to get their purchases properly, I'm all ears!
Dear Krylar, try this: http://www.packtpub.com/

Packtpub is a very good seller of books in PDF format. Their list of books is impressive. I bought several books from them. They also sell a lot of books about Blender. I also would like to buy your book in PDF-format.

Best wishes, Hadrian
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

Hi Krylar, great work, I would prefer PDF too, as my e-reader is good with them, but terrible at html. :)
PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

Will the book be available in drm-free form? It's the most critical point for me...
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Will the book be available in drm-free form? It's the most critical point for me...
Surely, the content of the book is the most critical. Unless you want it to be drm-free so you can steal/sell copies? :?
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

Hell yeah, always assume your follow forumers are fucking retards, that's a good spirit >.>
I'm using linux and I can't access any drm content; and even if I could, I would not.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

....No offence intended, it just seemed a strange requirement, given that the book authors cannot tell the publishers what to do. It's up to the platform suppliers to seek compatibility with a myriad of different e-book stands and drm locking. Linux is an issue unto itself of course.

It's a fact that most if not all of the big publishers have some form of DRM because they want to lock the book and the consumer to a specific device - that's obviously advantageous for Amazon for example, since they manufacture their own reader device. It might well be the case that some authors can publish their books with several different publishers but I think the technicalities of doing so might be too time consuming to make it worthwhile. Isn't Calibre available on Linux? if it is, it may well have a suitable plugin.

Anyway, there is a version that's completely DRM free - it's printed on paper!
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
wysardry
User
User

Post by wysardry »

There are online versions of Kindle and Kobo readers that allow you to read ebooks using a browser. Both require you to log in before use, so they should read DRM protected content that you own.

Kindle authors have the option to enable DRM or not during the publishing process. I use Kindle for PC and a physical Kindle, and so far have been able to read any books I've purchased on both without problems, as reading rights are tied to an account rather than a device.
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Note that the iBooks version is now available for your iPad. Just open up the store and search for "Programming 2D Scrolling Games" and you should find it. I'm guessing you can also view it on your iPhone, but I would imagine it'll be tough to read on a smaller device.

I'm still waiting for a response from BookBaby regarding the Kindle version.

No movement yet on a PDF version.
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

wysardry wrote:There are online versions of Kindle and Kobo readers that allow you to read ebooks using a browser. Both require you to log in before use, so they should read DRM protected content that you own.

Kindle authors have the option to enable DRM or not during the publishing process. I use Kindle for PC and a physical Kindle, and so far have been able to read any books I've purchased on both without problems, as reading rights are tied to an account rather than a device.
As I said, even if I could, I wouldn't: DRM are mostly an annoying stuff for legit users that does not affect pirate in any way, like anti-piracy message on dvd or always connected protections from games. That's why I left windows: bought an ubisoft game (HoM&M 6, being a HUGE fan of the series) and I could not play it. From now on, DRM in any form are banned from my life, even if it makes me miss awesome products.
IdeasVacuum wrote: Anyway, there is a version that's completely DRM free - it's printed on paper!
small apartment, my library is limited to my favorite novels :p
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

I just received my new hard copy of the book from Lulu and it looks great! Everyone planning to order the physical copy can feel comfortable that everything is all set with the printing. :)
wysardry
User
User

Post by wysardry »

I received a new hard copy of the book about a week ago. I noticed that many of the program listings had a border around them. If you were trying to put the listings in the Kindle version in tables, that could well be your problem, as tables can be tricky.
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

wysardry wrote:I received a new hard copy of the book about a week ago. I noticed that many of the program listings had a border around them. If you were trying to put the listings in the Kindle version in tables, that could well be your problem, as tables can be tricky.
BookBaby got back to me and said that they think they can resolve the issues but that I need to send them an updated version with a clickable table-of-contents and some styling changes...so you're likely correct. I just have to find the time to do it. ;)
wysardry
User
User

Post by wysardry »

Maybe this will be an incentive for you: it would make an ideal Christmas present. :wink: