Monitoring file changes is not reliable!

Working on new editor enhancements?
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Monitoring file changes is not reliable!

Post by Kukulkan »

Hello,

we lost several hours of developing time in the last months because of problems with the PureBasic IDE monitoring feature. This is really annoying. We just again lost 4 hours (3 hours searching the error and 1 hour to redo the changes by manually searching GIT-History for done and undone changes).

Normally, after pulling source code changes by using GIT, the PB IDE should show us that the file has changed and ask us for a reload, right? It does, but sadly it is not reliable! :x

I don't know if it is because it is not recognized or if the IDE does not really do the reload (like reported here: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 18&t=60399). Anyway, it is a huge problem!

Does it also work reliable if the file that has changed from the outside is also having unsaved changes in the IDE? I don't know.

It also seem to be the only editor that works. JaPBe seems to be no longer available and maintained by Gnozal...

Any other suggestions for a PB editor with debugger?

Kukulkan
blueb
Addict
Addict

Re: Monitoring file changes is not reliable!

Post by blueb »

As a lone wolf, I've used a file comparison tool from prestoSoft...
http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp

(Note: While I haven't done this... ExamDiff can be used from the command line)

But if I was working with a team, I'd be tempted to try the Pro version:
http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiffpro.asp?flm=1

and perhaps:

http://www.prestosoft.com/fvc_ftpvc.asp?flm=1

(FtpVC (FTP Version Control) is a serverless version control system for Windows, which allows joint software development using Internet FTP connections.)
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 Beta 9 (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Hi blueb,

thank you for your reply, but how should this help me? We can use GIT to restore all changes but this does not help us to get the PB IDE more reliable. If someone is saving a file from the IDE after it was updated using a pull in GIT, he is overwriting the last changes that have been pulled by GIT. Thus, the IDE has to detect if one of the current files has changed.

By the way, I personally like to use BeyondCompare since years. Nice tool, too.

Kukulkan
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

I have experienced this issue myself, but concluded that it was my mistake. What is a problem for me is latency - a small change is not immediately picked-up by PB and so you can start a debug run and then after the app is running PB asks if the code should be updated. That is a fault in itself - if your answer is yes, the PB file is marked un-saved but the file of course is not re-loaded - when you finish the debug you might inadvertently save and boom, your edits are lost.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

I can confirm there is *some* sort of bug with reload detection. I use CodeCaddy to reformat my code (I prefer my own formatting over the IDE's). For this I execute an external program and tell the IDE to reload the code.

Most of the time it does work, but sometimes it detects a code change before completing the 'programmed' reload. Must be a timing issue somewhere, but I'm not sure it's related to the problem you've seen.
( PB6.00 LTS Win11 x64 Asrock AB350 Pro4 Ryzen 5 3600 32GB GTX1060 6GB)
( The path to enlightenment and the PureBasic Survival Guide right here... )