What are the best free 3D games or demo apps made with PB ?

Advanced game related topics
scubero
New User
New User

What are the best free 3D games or demo apps made with PB ?

Post by scubero »

Please post links to where I can download the best or the most impressive 3D games or demos you have seen, made with PureBasic. I have not yet seen the full range of graphics features and performance of Ogre / Ogre3D technology, compiled with PureBasic.
bmon
User
User

Re: What are the best free 3D games or demo apps made with P

Post by bmon »

Hi Scubero ...
I have created two games using PureBasic native 3d library. I have demo versions of them that you can download and play for free (contains a time limit). Wouldn't say they are the "best games" created but it might give you some ideas. Any feedback on them will also be appreciated. Please go to here to find out more about them:

http://www.pencilwedgess.com/games.html

Thanks!
Bruce
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

Bmon, I think your link might be broken.
bmon
User
User

Post by bmon »

Hi Samuel ...
Actually I think it's my fingers that might be broken ... :oops:

Try this http://www.pencilwedgees.com/games.html

Sorry about that ...
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

Cool, I'll have to give the demos a try later.
scubero
New User
New User

Post by scubero »

@ Bruce,

Great job with the 3D Pool game! Quite addictive! (but I suggest the "power" level be set with the UP and DOWN arrow keys, and the up and down mouse movements be used to control the player's viewing height above the table! I found the power level setting a bit difficult to set along with the left-right aiming function of the mouse!)
Izzy was an interesting game too... you have great potential for making some really cool education games with what you already know.

By the way, I'm a complete noob with PureBasic, but I have a few years of experience playing around with DarkBasic Pro (which should be really called "DarkBasic Slow" because of its very slow rendering). That's why I am considering learning PB and Ogre.

QUESTIONS:

Do the built in Ogre 3D commands inside PureBasic v5.22 use DirectX 9 ?
If not, what rendering method does it use? OpenGL ?
Can this version of Ogre render bump-mapping effects? (What version of Ogre does the latest PB use?)
Are there any good 'step-by-step' tutorials or easy-to-follow Ogre 3D or PureBasic game programming books that you would recommend to beginners? (Or what learning path would you recommend to those new to PB 3D programming).
What 3D modeller did you use for your Izzy and 3D pool games? What would you recommend?
(I am familiar with 3DS Max basics, but I'm not sure that it can export a .mesh file for the models)

Sorry to bombard you with too many questions, but I have narrowed down my programming tool choices to:
PureBasic (first choice), Blitz3D and BlitzMax (using OpenGL, but there is hardly any documentation or sample code to learn from!). I cannot seem to find any books on Amazon about PureBasic 3D game programming!
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

scubero wrote: Do the built in Ogre 3D commands inside PureBasic v5.22 use DirectX 9 ?
If not, what rendering method does it use? OpenGL ?
DirectX 9.0c is used by default on Windows. In Purebasic's compiler options there is a library subsystem textbox.
There you can change the rendering to opengl if you wish.
scubero wrote: Can this version of Ogre render bump-mapping effects? (What version of Ogre does the latest PB use?)
You have to use material scripts, but any shader effect is possible with Ogre. Here's a link to a normal map shader (pretty much the same thing as bump mapping).
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 36&t=58739

As for the version of Ogre. I believe 5.22 LTS is still using Ogre 1.8.2.
scubero wrote: Are there any good 'step-by-step' tutorials or easy-to-follow Ogre 3D or PureBasic game programming books that you would recommend to beginners? (Or what learning path would you recommend to those new to PB 3D programming).
I'm unaware of any Purebasic 3D books, but the 3D examples that come with Purebasic helped me a lot when I first started and I had zero experience with 3D programming.
If you have any questions you can ask in 3D programming and I'm sure someone will help.
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewforum.php?f=36
bmon
User
User

Post by bmon »

Hi Scubero ... Thanks for taking a look at my games and the kind words. You can actually swap between the keyboard and the mouse with the pool game. Just click the little mouse image that is located to the left of the screen underneath the image of the cue stick and power display to toggle back and forth. In keyboard mode, the left/right arrows will move your view left or right (hold the shift key to take bigger steps) and the up/down arrows will control the power setting (again use the shift key to take bigger steps). Press the space bar when you are ready to shoot. Personally I like the mouse controls because it just seems more intuitive and adds a bit of skill to the shot. I don't have a way to change the angle so you can get a more above or below view though ... sorry.

Why DirectX and why DirectX 9?
Samuel answered some of your questions already above (Thanks Samuel) about OGRE's capabilities but here is a little bit more information. OpenGL is just for rendering (making the pretty pictures). It doesn't have native ability to do GUI, sound, or test for input controls (mouse/keyboard ect....) So that is where DirectX picks up the slack by also supplying those needed functions. You could also use third-party solutions and bypass DirectX all together as well but that is beyond what I have experience with. Again this is for a Window's based operating systems only. Unfortunately, when Microsoft upgraded the DirectX to 10 and higher, they no longer made it backwards compatible like it was up to version 9.0. Why? Who knows! But if you intend to use PureBasic and 3d with DirectX (either as a rendering platform or for sound,GUI, and input controls) then you will need DirectX 9.0c installed as well. If you do already have a higher version of DirectX (Vista, Seven, or Eight operating system) then you will still need to install DirectX 9.0c as well. Having both DirectX systems on the same computer SHOULDN'T cause any problems.

The 3d modeler I used is a program called Animation Master by Martin Hash. Technically it's not a polygon based program (like Maya or Blender or 3dMax) but you can create models and animations in it and export with a free plug-in to the .X format. Once in that you can use a bunch of other programs to convert to the OGRE .mesh format. I use Fragmotion to convert from .X to .mesh but there are other programs that will convert as well. So Animation:Master is a nice program but be warned that it doesn't play nice when importing existing 3d polygon models into it. Fragmotion is a modeler and animation package but I really just use it for the conversion purpose so I can't speak of how well it works as a modeler and animation package (but it should still be good for that). Of course you also have Blender but I know they have had problems in the past exporting models to other formats (not sure if they offer a .mesh exporter or not).

PureBasic is really more that capable of creating some really great games. And the 3d side of things just keeps getting better and better with each version released. I hope that I answered some of your questions and please feel free to ask more if needed. This is a very friendly board with a lot of people willing to take the time out and help if you need it ... :)

Again thanks for the comment and suggestions ... Bruce
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

I can't heap enough praise on Izzy. One of the best purchases I ever made and I used to play it daily until moving to Linux. Very fun game!
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
bmon
User
User

Post by bmon »

Thank you Kuron ...
Num3
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Num3 »