Hard copy of Purebasic code

Working on new editor enhancements?
RNBW
User
User

Hard copy of Purebasic code

Post by RNBW »

I note that in 2002 the subject of printing out Purebasic code was brought up and it was suggested that a work-around wascopying the code to Notepad to Notepad++ and printing from there.

I wanted to print out code from the Purebasic IDE today, some 14 years later, and it still wasn't possible. I have never come across this before with any other IDE. Surely, if Purebasic wants to be considered a professional bit of software, something as basic as printing out its code from the IDE should be possible.
ts-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Hard copy of Purebasic code

Post by ts-soft »

what is the advantage of printed code?
PureBasic 5.73 | SpiderBasic 2.30 | Windows 10 Pro (x64) | Linux Mint 20.1 (x64)
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

even in Microsoft Visual Studio the only thing it lets you print is the single source file you're currently viewing, so even then i'd still prefer to copy and paste it into Notepad so i can adjust the font and size, which Visual Studio won't let you do. So I personally reject your "if PB wants to be considered professional it'd have print to paper capabilities" suggestion; Visual Studio does a lame job of it, and printing to paper really has nothing to do with programming anyway, right? it's just an added bonus if it exists, although a bonus most wouldn't use. Personally i'd prefer Fred spent his valuable limited time working on actual programming functionality, because Notepad and Word give me all the word processing/printing functionality i need, and to hazard a guess I don't think many PB programmers find the need to print hard copies on paper too often, and when they do Notepad/Word pretty much handles most if not all they need anyway? #firstworldproblems :)
ts-soft wrote:what is the advantage of printed code?
you can start a campfire with it to then make toasted marshmallows, and you can print it in a book if you're an author, but that's me out of ideas :D
Last edited by Keya on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 14 times in total.
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

ts-soft wrote:what is the advantage of printed code?
It can be more pleasant to read, you can write notes on the paper, draw lines with arrows, it's an extra backup, you can take it with you to places where you don't have a computer.
But agreed with Keya, copy and paste is not a big problem.
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

RNBW wrote:...if Purebasic wants to be considered a professional bit of software...
PureBasic doesn't need such considerations; it is undeniably a professional software development tool in an unsurpassed class of its own. :wink:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
ts-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by ts-soft »

Keya wrote:and you can print it in a book if you're an author, but that's me out of ideas :D
Okay, this is the one and only usage, but to merge it with other text, i have to use copy and paste.
PureBasic 5.73 | SpiderBasic 2.30 | Windows 10 Pro (x64) | Linux Mint 20.1 (x64)
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.
RNBW
User
User

Post by RNBW »

Well I don't know what has happened to the post I've just made, but it's not showing.

All the procedural languages I have used have allowed printing from the IDE. I don't like Visual Studio. Purebasic it's not a new language. If it was, I could accept it as an excuse. After all these years of existence, I think it's rather a weak excuse.

Perhaps the thing to do is to have a poll to see how important it is. If I'm the odd one out I can accept that.
RNBW
User
User

Post by RNBW »

Just to add to what I posted earlier, I would reverse the argument and say that you had might as well just code in Notepad++ and copy into Purebasic to compile the code. I believe some people work this way when they have a favourite editor and just use the compiler (whatever it is) to compile the code. Not the way I like to work.
davido
Addict
Addict

Post by davido »

I don't think PureBasic should allow printing of the code directly from the IDE. It would just waste lots of paper.
Remember the old days where printouts stood a half metre high with perhaps 5% viewed! Did look good, though!?

If I want a small amount of code to read, I simply take a screen-shot to retain the colour and print that onto a A5 sheet.
I don't print code very often, but I still consider I waste paper!
DE AA EB
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
RNBW
User
User

Post by RNBW »

Now that sounds like a move in the right direction. I'll have a look at that, even though it is only black and white. Unfortunately, the link to a coloured version in a later post appears to be dead.

Do you know if it is for Wisnows and Mac OS? I'm working from tablet at the moment and don't have my computer to check.
RNBW
User
User

Post by RNBW »

Wisnows should be Windows (predictive typing - not a clue where Wisnows comes from!)
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

I think it's likely to be Windows only but I have not used it myself. Not sure but Paul may have added code for colour print-outs, he seemed to like the idea at the time.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

there's also a post halfway down where somebody links to another program that prints code in color :)
RNBW
User
User

Post by RNBW »

Keya wrote:there's also a post halfway down where somebody links to another program that prints code in color :)
Unfortunately, that it's the link that now seems to be dead. However, I didn't look at the 3 links at the bottom, on which that code was the inspiration. There is quite a bit of code there that I'll look at when I get back to my computer.