Fedora 27 doesn't have libwebkitgtk-3.0 available

Linux specific forum
John Duchek
User
User

Fedora 27 doesn't have libwebkitgtk-3.0 available

Post by John Duchek »

I just downloaded and updated purebasic to 5.61 x64. Using checkinstall.sh I am finding that pure is looking for webkitgtk-3.0, but fedora only has webkitgtk-4.0 and its development files available. Is there a reason pure is using the older version, and is there a way for me to get it to use the newer version?

Thanks,
john
John R. Duchek
St. Louis,MO
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Fedora 27 doesn't have libwebkitgtk-3.0 available

Post by deeproot »

That is interesting information, thanks John. Sorry can't offer any help. I haven't installed Fedora yet but intend to test on all major distros when I get round to it.

This sounds similar to the problem I have with Manjaro where libwebkitgtk-3.0 and libwebkitgtk-1.0 do not appear to be available from any of the Manjaro/Arch repositories. I believe they were removed at some previous version release and only webkit2gtk is available. Still haven't resolved this despite trying several things including building from a webkitgtk.org download (fails in multiple places).

I guess as time goes on more distros might drop the version currently needed for the PureBasic WebGadget?
John Duchek
User
User

Post by John Duchek »

Thanks for your reply. As there is no quick fix, I will try to locate a libwebkit 3.0 rpm that I can install from an older version. sometimes that works.... I will keep you informed.
John
John R. Duchek
St. Louis,MO
alen
New User
New User

Post by alen »

Hello deeproot,

it looks like that in latest Linux Distros, like Fedora 27 and Arch / Manjaro, dropped the support for webkitgtk (GTK3).
I get it last time to work, with integration of AUR repo and installing the webkitgtk package which has been compiled from source. This took horrible long time (several hours) but it works at the end. I succeeded this with Manjaro Linux.

Now am at the point where the webkitgtk gets an update but the dependency enchant >=2.2 is now a problem. By some research I figured out that there is a source package in the testing repo of Manjaro. For now I can not get it to work with the updated packages, but my old compile still works.

This is surely bad news for future usage of Purebasics Dialog or WebGadget Functionality with newer Distros. Maybe the Purebasic developers have some idea how to deal with in the future.

Greetings
Alen
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Thanks Alen - this is very useful information !

I also tried from AUR but it failed for me. I will try again soon.

Even if I finally get this working for myself, it is becoming clear that it would not be reasonable to expect a normal end-user to do this long build in order to run my application on Manjaro. For Debian based distros this is not a problem as a simple apt-get takes care of it (at the moment at least!). I have not yet tested with RPM-type distros such as Fedora and OpenSUSE, or those based on Slackware or others.

I like Manjaro and can see why it is popular. WebGadget is the only part of my project that does not work under Manjaro, everything else runs very nicely. I just use WebGadget for my Help system, but this quite important for the application. Fortunately it will probably be some time before I make a public release of the Linux edition of my application. I am hoping for it to run with any of the main distros.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

Since a while I know the problem with the webkit under Manjaro also and solved it in the past just like alen.

In the past, the compilation took more time because additional debug messages were displayed. Later on, the
build script was apparently modified and debug messages were turned off. This made the compilation faster
again, but because webkit is very complex, it still takes several hours.

Since an update for the webkit library is available recently, the library from the AUR does not work anymore,
because the required dependency (enchant) from the repository is too old.

With a report in the forum I have waited, hoping that the enchant-library will be updated soon and the build
script will run again without errors.

However, the libraries from AUR were not a permanent solution, because it was already pointed out when
compiling that the outdated library should not be used because of the many security vulnerabilities.

On the following pages there is a pinned comment that seems to describe a solution, but for security reasons
I don't want to try it:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/webkitgtk
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/webkitgtk2
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

With Manjaro Linux, the package "enchant" in the repository was updated to version 2.2.1-1 yesterday.

Now the compilation of the packages "webkitgtk" and "webkitgtk2" from the AUR works again error-free. 8)
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Sicro wrote:With Manjaro Linux, the package "enchant" in the repository was updated to version 2.2.1-1 yesterday.
Thanks very much for the info Sicro.

I got the enchant update last night and the webkitgtk build looked more promising and went further (left running overnight). Unfortunately, after many hours it failed again :( This time it appears to have run out of disk space even though there was 20Gb free at the start of the run!

It's in a partition alongside 2 other OS's, only PureBasic and my project loaded on a standard install. I have deleted some packages I don't really need and trying again today.

Definitely would not want to ask my customers to do this!!
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Failed again on Manjaro :cry:

Build of webkitgtk ran for 11 hours then failed with the same "No space left on device message". I think this error message is deceptive as there was well over 20Gb free space and checking at various points during the build it never dropped much, including at the fail point before closing the update window.

Giving up for now! Perhaps will try at a later date on a different machine. I haven't attempted Fedora yet, but it's starting to look like I might need to recommend my application only for Debian based distros.