PureBasic 5.70 LTS is out !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PureBasic 5.70 LTS beta 1 is out !

Post by Fred »

I will recompile the QT subsystem with a flag to disable the QT linker check and see if it fixes the issue.
macros
User
User

Post by macros »

Thanks so much for the new version and ongoing development!

With the Qt subsystem software now integrates much better into my KDE desktop.
The 3D functions look nice, although I wont get to using them.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

I really hope to see in the next beta updated checkinstall including recommendations for setting up the qt toolkit environment.
Dawn will come inevitably.
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

#NULL wrote:
Fred wrote:You will need a newer ubuntu IIRC
Is that in regard to Qt or PB in general? Ubuntu 16.04 x64 here.
I can't start 'purebasic' from a filemanager, it doesn't know how to open 'shared library'

Code: Select all

~/purebasic_5_70_b_1_x64/compilers>file ./purebasic 
./purebasic: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=c1af8a3e3cd52668ce23ec1fd2913b9b212ea7e3, stripped
starting from the commandline works thought. But it can't compile. 'Compiler isn't loaded yet'. In Preferences > Compiler, i see the default compiler is an older one, even older than the PB version i used lately. My PB 5.62 has its own compiler set as default and no additional compilers set. But PB 5.70b1 has set a default compiler from some 5.60 directory which doesn't even exist with that exact name. There is no version info in titlebar or About, but the splashscreen and About says 06/06/2018. I added an additional compiler with the correct 5.70 one and enabled it in a source file's compiler option, but compiler still 'isn't loaded yet'. Restarting the IDE didn't help.

<edit>
And many Thanks for the continuing work! :)

<edit>
I can compile in 5.62 using the 5.70b1 compiler.
I had this in some bash file

export PUREBASIC_HOME=~/purebasic_5_60_x64
export PATH=$PUREBASIC_HOME/compilers:$PATH
and the directory doesn't not exist anymore. So if i start ./purebasic it will have a default compiler set that doesn't even exist, but it only tells me "isn't loaded". If i disable those lines then pb 5.70 b1 will start fine from terminal and has its own compiler set as default which also works. If those lines point to some other pb version which does exist then i can't even start pb 5.70 from terminal because it will always start that other version (not sure if that's a PATH thing or a pb startup thing).
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

#NULL wrote:

export PUREBASIC_HOME=~/purebasic_5_60_x64
and the directory doesn't not exist anymore. So if i start ./purebasic it will have a default compiler set that doesn't even exist, but it only tells me "isn't loaded". If i disable those lines then pb 5.70 b1 will start fine from terminal and has its own compiler set as default which also works. If those lines point to some other pb version which does exist then i can't even start pb 5.70 from terminal because it will always start that other version (not sure if that's a PATH thing or a pb startup thing).
--- INSTALL

Quick Installation method:

If you do not need to use the compiler from the commandline, the quickest
  method is to simply extract the purebasic archive somewhere and execute
  the PureBasic IDE.

Type "./purebasic" from inside the "compilers" folder, or doubleclick
  on the "purebasic" executable file in your file manager.

Other Installation methods:

1) Recommended (doesn't require root rights)

a) Setup the PUREBASIC_HOME environment variable to your purebasic
        path. It can be done in a terminal like this (if you have put 
        purebasic in your home directory):

export PUREBASIC_HOME=~/purebasic

b) Add the purebasic/compilers/ directory to you path, as it's
        where all purebasic binaries are. This can be done like this:

After these 2 steps, you should be able to type 'pbcompiler' in a shell
     and you ready to use the IDE, just type 'purebasic'.

Note that these steps only affect your current terminal session, and will not
     be present after you log out or restart. It is recommended that you put the above
     two lines inside a startup script (like "~/.bashrc" if you use the bash), so
     they are executed whenever you log in or open a terminal. 
So this is not a bug or error.
If you set PUREBASIC_HOME to some dir, compiler will search for the IDE and tools in dir you set and not in dir where you start. So remove it or set in in a script to launch pb.

:!: using ~ in a multi-user system is not a good idea if the program is installed only once for multiple users.
Indeed ~ is the shortcut for home_dir and this one is different for each connected user.

(for those who do not know unix/linux/*BSD etc at all)
For security reasons, on un*x machines, files in the current directory cannot be started directly. This is why it is necessary to put either the full path, or ./<program> or define a PATH.
You can change this behavior by adding . in the path, but it is not recommended (anyone typing by mistake * then triggers all programs and scripts in the current directory)

:wink:
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

Yes, but from that it's not obvious what PB does with PUREBASIC_HOME apart from just an intermediate step for adding it to PATH. It's also inconsistent that depending on how i start pb i sometimes get the IDE i actually started but with a different compiler without me knowing, or i get a different purebasic IDE version at all. i used the dot prefix like './purebasic' or './compilers/purebasic' (so i don't think it's a terminal/PATH issue in the first place) in the pb570 directory and got a pb56.. IDE.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Possibly of any help in regard how I currently handle DPI in Windows...
Seems to work in both Windows 7 and 10. Replace all absolute position/sizes with dpiX(value) and dpiY(value). Would be indeed very nice if PureBasic handles this transparently.

Global FontScale
  Global TextFont
  Global GadgetFont
  Global DpiScaleFactorX.f
  Global DpiScaleFactorY.f
  Macro dpiX(_num_): (_num_ * DpiScaleFactorX): EndMacro
  Macro dpiY(_num_): (_num_ * DpiScaleFactorY): EndMacro  

Procedure InitDpi()
    Protected dpiAware
    If OpenLibrary(0, "User32.dll")
      If Not CallFunction(0, "IsProcessDPIAware")
        CallFunction(0, "SetProcessDPIAware")
      EndIf
      CloseLibrary(0)
    EndIf
    DpiScaleFactorX.f = GetDeviceCaps_(GetDC_(#Null), #LOGPIXELSX) / 96
    DpiScaleFactorY.f = GetDeviceCaps_(GetDC_(#Null), #LOGPIXELSY) / 96
    If OSVersion() > #PB_OS_Windows_8
      FontScale = DpiScaleFactorY
    Else
      FontScale = 1
    EndIf
    TextFont = LoadFont(#PB_Any, "Tahoma", Round(12 * FontScale, #PB_Round_Up), #PB_Font_HighQuality)
    GadgetFont = LoadFont(#PB_Any, "Tahoma", Round(9 * FontScale, #PB_Round_Up), #PB_Font_HighQuality)
    SetGadgetFont(#PB_Default, FontID(GadgetFont))
  EndProcedure 
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Just thought I'd share how impressed I am with the QT subsystem, even if it is only in its infancy.

Never really got on with GTK, and most especially not GTK3. Biggest problem is that I really don't have the time to learn the various APIs to anywhere near the same extent that I am familiar with Win32 etc. and so, under Linux especially, have always had to rely on native Purebasic code only without mixing API calls. Indeed, I try not to explicitly invoke any API calls these days even under Windows. Just enjoy PB far more this way.

Anyhow, been working on what should be a cross-platform propertybox control; one which uses embedded controls to edit cells and, since it is at the point where I can actually edit cells now, thought I'd give it a whirl on Ubuntu with the new QT subsystem. GTK3 was always a no-go because of the layout manager and the fact that I am embedding precisely sized controls in a canvas gadget.

Very very impressed that it ran straight out of the box. Absolutely flawless under Ubuntu with QT. Ubuntu 18.04x64, PB 5.70 beta 1. This is a complex control with custom scrollbars and the like... and it just worked! Tried GTK3 just for the hell of it and, well, the least said about that the better! :)

Great job guys. QT looks a great call from where I am standing and looking forward to it evolving.

Thanks.
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
wombats
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by wombats »

I agree with srod. The Qt subsystem is so much better than GTK. My project crashed in so many places with GTK and I had given up on it working on Linux. With Qt, I just have to make some ‘tweaks’ here and there to get it working.

I do hope we’ll be able to work with Qt more in-depth, but what we have right now is an excellent start. Thank you for it.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

srod wrote:Absolutely flawless under Ubuntu with QT. Ubuntu 18.04x64, PB 5.70 beta 1. This is a complex control with custom scrollbars and the like... and it just worked!
^5's
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

The approximate roadmap of the release of B2?
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

useful wrote:The approximate roadmap of the release of B2?
Fix of B1 ;-)
We all know there is no answer from Fred before earlier as the B2 itself.
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

I hope at least a beta of 1.5 :) with the correct checkinstall.sh including the verification of the correct environment settings qt
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

useful wrote:I hope at least a beta of 1.5 :) with the correct checkinstall.sh including the verification of the correct environment settings qt
I hope a BUG report of this issue is there? Or you should write one.
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
chi
Addict
Addict

Post by chi »

Any ETA for Beta 2 yet? Since the auto-complete box is over the current line and thus hiding it, I can't/won't test Beta 1 for bugs as much as I like... Just saying ;)
Et cetera is my worst enemy