Which Linux does the IDE work with?

Linux specific forum
stevie1401
User
User

Which Linux does the IDE work with?

Post by stevie1401 »

I have tried different distributions, Mint, Ubuntu, Mageia, Suse. With all of them, the IDE crashes regularly when I remove a REM (the ; - character) or when I use the down arrow key.
Is there a Linux where the IDE works fine? So it is completely useless under Linux for me.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Re: Which Linux does the IDE work with?

Post by Marc56us »

stevie1401 wrote:I have tried different distributions, Mint, Ubuntu, Mageia, Suse. With all of them, the IDE crashes regularly when I remove a REM (the ; - character) or when I use the down arrow key.
Is there a Linux where the IDE works fine? So it is completely useless under Linux for me.
Debian, Slackware.
Never had any problems with these two distributions.

:wink:
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

At the moment it is not usable on Ubuntu GNOME 18.10. And as you maybe guessing already I will not switch to another distribution just because of Purebasic. I simply do not use it anymore if the IDE sucks. In the beginning it is working just fine but after a non-deterministic while the auto-complete window either is simply gray and not usable or it does not close anymore and the whole IDE keeps unresponsive but also does not freeze totally.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
stevie1401
User
User

Post by stevie1401 »

Now I tried Linux Mint "LMDE 3 Cindy", Debian. All the same.
The IDE is not usable.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

The IDE doesn't run quite so perfectly under Ubuntu 18.10
But I don't have that many problems.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

I'm currently on Ubuntu 18.10 x64 and I don't have any particular problem or crash. I'm experiencing crash on large project with the debugger active but beside that nothing to say here.

Best regards
starBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
Justin
Addict
Addict

Post by Justin »

Never worked here. Useless, sorry to say it but it is my experience. I have to code with the project opened on Windows and in a virtual machine on Linux on the same computer, going only to Linux to hit F5 to compile and quickly return to Windows.

For the people who Works it would be interesting to know how big is your Project.

The IDE needs a total rewrite testing on Linux first or just give PB support to Visual Studio Code, there is already syntax highlighting and compiling but lacks autocomplete wich is crucial.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Justin wrote:For the people who Works it would be interesting to know how big is your Project.
36 121 lines

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
Justin
Addict
Addict

Post by Justin »

How do you know the extact lines of code? i haven't found a way appart of the quick message after compilation i can not read.

My main file is a module of 3853 loc plus 19 includes in module format wich i don't know their loc.
It is impossible to code, it crashes constantly.
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Justin wrote:Never worked here. Useless, sorry to say it but it is my experience.
Sorry - cannot agree with that! PureBasic and the IDE on Linux is not perfect and it's true there are important issues that need to be fixed. However, from my own personal experience it is certainly not useless. It is possible to make a large program and spend much productive time working with the IDE (my opinion - I understand and accept that others might have different experience).

My observations - same as many, the IDE sometimes crashes and just disappears. Almost always happens right at the start, first time the cursor is placed at a code line and then any key is pressed. Very annoying :cry: But this behaviour is very erratic and does not happen every time. If the IDE does not crash after added/amending a few lines at the start of the session then it will normally continue to work for hours. When doing a long coding session I also sometimes get the problem with the blank auto-complete - also annoying but not so serious.

My program - 36256 lines. This is organised as a PureBasic Project, with a main file and 9 include files. The biggest single file is 15185 lines. Most of the code came from the Windows and Mac versions and then had many changes to adapt for Linux. My Linux program is still only an early Beta - I just finished a big update and a few customers are running it.

My distro(s) - All coding is done on a machine with MX Linux x64, currently version 18 (was 16 and 17). Now using PB 5.70LTS x64. MX Linux is very good - excellent for PureBasic. Another machine is for testing - multi-boot MX Linux 32-bit, Mint and Manjaro. On 32-bit PB 5.70 x86 currently has a problem loading, but 5.62 x86 works.

I hope the team fixes the problems with the IDE, but I'm prepared to wait! Personally I really like the IDE, same for Windows and Mac. Despite the above problems, it does everything needed and is logical and easy to use.
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

I cant remember the last time the IDE crashed for me but I dont have any 10k + line programs but am happy to try something if you want to send me and let you know.

Running Manjaro
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA