Delete forum account...

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Dawgmann
User
User

Delete forum account...

Post by Dawgmann »

How do we delete our PB forum account?

I don't believe PB will meet my needs.
RSBasic

Re: Delete forum account...

Post by RSBasic »

Dawgmann wrote:How do we delete our PB forum account?
Only the administrator can do that for you.
Dawgmann wrote:I don't believe PB will meet my needs.
What requirements?

\\Edit:
Okay, just because of Try Error.
Is that the only reason?
Tombmyst
User
User

Post by Tombmyst »

:lol:
Tombmyst
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

There is no reason to delete your account. Just stop logging in.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Mistrel wrote:There is no reason to delete your account. Just stop logging in.
There is, if his nickname is unique and some of his/her real data can be determined by it.
bye,
Daniel
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

There is a reason to delete an account: GDPR

But it is possible to keep the posts while deleting the account. Because you have to accept the terms and conditions when registering to this board, you also give off some rights.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Also, if someone were to hack his account during his extended absence (or permanent absence), it would not be good.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

NicTheQuick wrote:There is a reason to delete an account: GDPR

But it is possible to keep the posts while deleting the account. Because you have to accept the terms and conditions when registering to this board, you also give off some rights.
Well, these posts have to be examined manually and every piece personal information has to be deleted. Also in quotes and similar.
bye,
Daniel
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

His posts were rambling on interesting topics.
He eventually gave up and wanted to clear his tracks.
I would prefer the forum topics remain to allow the user replies to have context and meaning.
The original username can be aliased to protect him from hackery.

EDIT: Users are not allowed to come in and speak trash, then ask to be deleted. That is not the scope of GDPR.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

skywalk wrote:EDIT: Users are not allowed to come in and speak trash, then ask to be deleted. That is not the scope of GDPR.
There are multiple issues with this here:
  • Privacy counts more than terms of use.
  • Only if something illegal was discussed the deletion might be suspended.
  • No matter how the data is structured, you have to delete all personal information if there is a request to do so.
bye,
Daniel
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

No matter how the data is structured, you have to delete all personal information if there is a request to do so.

But is this only about information that was actually collected via official means like form fields / profile data etc? If I post the address of someone else then the forum software or the forum owner has no way to know or detect that they have this information about the person.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

#NULL wrote:
No matter how the data is structured, you have to delete all personal information if there is a request to do so.

But is this only about information that was actually collected via official means like form fields / profile data etc? If I post the address of someone else then the forum software or the forum owner has no way to know or detect that they have this information about the person.
No, thats what I meant with "no matter how the data is structured". The GDPR says nothing about the form of data or how it is collected. Several websites state the same. Just google "gdpr forum posts".
bye,
Daniel
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

If this is about privacy then I can understand an option where "delete" instead just renames the account to something random and changes the password. But this has other ramifications such as making it difficult to locate posts by name from memory.

I do not agree with any instance of retroactively deleting all posts associated with a username. That risks the integrity of the forum and, in the case of users with hundreds or even thousands of posts, would be detrimental to everyone else.

This is a public forum on the internet. You have the right to anonymity up until the point at which you choose to participate and submit your first post. And even then, your username is just an alias; though a permanent one. I believe I've seen one online bulletin boards were you are allowed to change your username. That would be super confusing though.

This is of course just my opinion. It would be interesting to ask about this kind of policy on much larger forums such as Stack Exchange or Steam.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Mistrel wrote:This is of course just my opinion. It would be interesting to ask about this kind of policy on much larger forums such as Stack Exchange or Steam.
I won't link directly towards it, because of other legal issues, but google for "Are internet forum posts considered personal data under GDPR?" and you can read about it on stackexchange.
bye,
Daniel