Broken WebGadget under linux

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Broken WebGadget under linux

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

As you probably know the WebGadget() is no longer available under Linux. This is the Linker Error message we got :
GadgetWeb.a(WebGadget.o) : Dans la fonction « NavigationPolicyCallback » :
WebGadget.c:(.text+0x37) : référence indéfinie vers « webkit_network_request_get_uri »
WebGadget.c:(.text+0x67) : référence indéfinie vers « webkit_web_policy_decision_ignore »
WebGadget.c:(.text+0x91) : référence indéfinie vers « webkit_web_policy_decision_use »
GadgetWeb.a(WebGadget.o) : Dans la fonction « WindowPolicyCallback » :
WebGadget.c:(.text+0x11e) : référence indéfinie vers « webkit_web_policy_decision_ignore »
GadgetWeb.a(WebGadget.o) : Dans la fonction « GetGadgetItemText » :
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
What I would like to know, is there any chance to get the WebGadget() back :?:

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Broken WebGadget under linux

Post by mk-soft »

Show bug report...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72685
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

StarBootics wrote:What I would like to know, is there any chance to get the WebGadget() back :?:
This is certainly getting to be quite a big problem with the newest versions of popular distros :(

The distro I've been happily using for my two development machines had a new release on October 21st and guess what - no WebGadget! Might be ways to fix it, but for now I'll need to stay on the previous release.

However, things get more difficult because my application is released to a few customers and when they update their OS I will be getting some awkward emails. Fortunately I've made it clear that my Linux program is a Beta test (most customers are Windows or Mac). It's a shame though as I've had great feedback recently from a couple of enthusiastic Linux users. Maybe switching from GTK2 to QT could be a solution, but will take a lot of time.

This is slightly ironic because I'm getting the distinct impression that more "normal" users are looking at Linux as a viable alternative. A least that seems to be the case in some countries.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Difficult I don't know but when I see this : https://webkitgtk.org/
I don't see any complication at all.

Best regards
StarBootics
Amellos
New User
New User

Post by Amellos »

That does seem to be rather simple and straightfoward. I'm going to try this out too.
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Amellos wrote:That does seem to be rather simple and straightfoward. I'm going to try this out too.
Best of luck Amellos - I'd be interested to know how you get on!

A little while ago I downloaded a relevant tar package for GTK2 from that site and followed their build instructions. Unfortunately after spending several days on the attempt - I failed to get a successful build run :cry:

At first I had several errors due to missing dependencies, but with the help of various Linux forums I got all those fixed. Then the compile ran for many hours (between 8 and 12 hours!) but always ended with an error claiming to be out of disk space. This was pretty strange because at the time the system had about 20Gb of free space in that partition. I was using Manjaro 17 for this.

In the end I gave up - I had better things to do with my time! Also I didn't need it for my own system as libwebkitgtk packages were available from the standard repositories and everything worked fine. Sadly appears to have been dropped by the latest version, same as happened with Manjaro.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Fred or Freak about this issue ????

Best regards
StarBootics