It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:12 pm 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I'm checking out PureBasic and have been looking around for a good, comprehensive beginner's tutorial, video series, book, etc. I came across a book called "purebasic-a-beginners-guide-to-computer-programming". It's in PDF form, and was available free.

I notice it's written for version 4, and PB is now up to version 5.

So, my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:28 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:15 pm
Posts: 896
Location: Cuernavaca, Mexico
Thanks for joining the forum. You'll find everyone here very willing to help beginners.

The book is an excellent start and will give you a good foundation.

When trying the examples and something doesn't work, simply look into PureBasic's help file in the 'History Section' and look for changes that affect the command you are trying to use.

If you're still stuck.. simply ask!

_________________
- It was too lonely at the top.

Current Machine: Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Dual Xeon E5-2670, 64 gigs ram, Geforce GTX 1660 Ti w/6 gigs ram


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm 
Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:26 pm
Posts: 220
I think the official doc(chm) is good enough for beginners to start with. :D

_________________
poor English...

PureBasic & Delphi & VBA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:20 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am
Posts: 2325
Location: Singapore
Wolfsong wrote:
...my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?
Firstly, welcome to PureBasic. :D

And secondly, the answer to your question is, yes.

The core command syntax and programming structure of the language remains mostly unchanged. The book will serve as a good starting point to get a feel and understanding of PureBasic.

Beyond that, the manual is quite comprehensive, and this forum is quite responsive.

_________________
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am 
Online
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:51 pm
Posts: 3756
Location: Utah, USA
Wolfsong wrote:
Hello everyone

Welcome.

Wolfsong wrote:
I notice it's written for version 4, and PB is now up to version 5.

So, my question is if that book is still relevant/useful to learning PB, despite the version differences?


Here is another book that was written for version 5. There still have been things added and even changed in PureBasic since then but it will get you a little closer to the current version. This second book covers creating a 2D side scrolling game in PureBasic. It introduces the fundamentals of PureBasic also though maybe at a slightly higher level than the book you mentioned. You can find it here.

@Edut: Corrected description of the link to a more advanced book. Thanks BarryG.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Demivec on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 am 
Offline
Addict
Addict

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am
Posts: 1085
Demivec wrote:
The author updated it to version 5 a few years ago in 2014. You can find that version here.

The link you gave is for "Programming 2D Scrolling Games", but the OP is asking about "Purebasic: A Beginners Guide to Computer Programming" (Kale's book).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:55 am 
Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 5:31 pm
Posts: 769
Location: Linz, Austria
Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!

_________________
Et cetera is my worst enemy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 pm 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Posts: 2
chi wrote:
Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!


I've checked out some of his videos and found they aren't truly beginner-focused. At minimum, he seems to assume programming/syntax knowledge of the viewer.

In watching other of the supposed "beginner" videos, I find that, like many others "teaching" programming, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner, and jumps straight into concepts that are beyond beginner level. His intro videos are more just front-loading a bunch of info, with no examples or projects to apply that knowledge to. As I said... seems a lot of people creating "beginner content" make that same mistake. They forget that things which are easy and obvious to them aren't to someone who's brand-new. Too often it seems like they just want to show off how good they are, more than actually teaching anything.

I had the same experience with that book I asked about earlier. It's a lot of front-loading information, with very little application so I can see how/when/why to use it, etc.

Ironically, despite being a 'BASIC' language, I'm finding it hard to find good beginner content for it. Moreso than I have for any other one I've looked into. In fact, I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it.

This is the only language I can't find a "hello world" tutorial for. And that's pretty much a universal, step 1, "go-to" beginner's thing.

So, I don't know. I feel like this language is intended for people who already know how to program. Not so much for someone you'd expect to be looking for a BASIC language to begin with. Or at least I've yet to find anything to make me think otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 pm 
Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 am
Posts: 336
Location: Pandora
http://nomad.uk.net/downloads/PureBasic ... 0Guide.pdf

With "Hello World"

Have fun :wink:

_________________
地球上の平和


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:24 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 am
Posts: 2325
Location: Singapore
Wolfsong wrote:
...I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it...
This short tutorial attempts to address the fundamentals of PureBasic:

> The Basic Anatomy of a PureBasic Program

It's truly a simple and powerful programming language. Hope it helps in some way.

_________________
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:22 am 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 14179
Location: France
Wolfsong wrote:
chi wrote:
Check out Guillaume's Beginner Tutorials on YouTube!


I've checked out some of his videos and found they aren't truly beginner-focused. At minimum, he seems to assume programming/syntax knowledge of the viewer.

In watching other of the supposed "beginner" videos, I find that, like many others "teaching" programming, he seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner, and jumps straight into concepts that are beyond beginner level. His intro videos are more just front-loading a bunch of info, with no examples or projects to apply that knowledge to. As I said... seems a lot of people creating "beginner content" make that same mistake. They forget that things which are easy and obvious to them aren't to someone who's brand-new. Too often it seems like they just want to show off how good they are, more than actually teaching anything.

I had the same experience with that book I asked about earlier. It's a lot of front-loading information, with very little application so I can see how/when/why to use it, etc.

Ironically, despite being a 'BASIC' language, I'm finding it hard to find good beginner content for it. Moreso than I have for any other one I've looked into. In fact, I haven't found anything that I could follow and feel like I'm learning and absorbing how to do anything with it.

This is the only language I can't find a "hello world" tutorial for. And that's pretty much a universal, step 1, "go-to" beginner's thing.

So, I don't know. I feel like this language is intended for people who already know how to program. Not so much for someone you'd expect to be looking for a BASIC language to begin with. Or at least I've yet to find anything to make me think otherwise.


Did you check the userguid part of the doc ? It starts with very simple concept, step by step

https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... rview.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello. New user/learner with a question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 pm 
Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 5:31 pm
Posts: 769
Location: Linz, Austria
Another good source learning PB: blueznl's PureBasic Survival Guide

_________________
Et cetera is my worst enemy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

 


Powered by phpBB © 2008 phpBB Group
subSilver+ theme by Canver Software, sponsor Sanal Modifiye