Free updates for life?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Free updates for life?

Post by BarryG »

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I just read my receipt email for PureBasic that I bought years ago, and it seems unlimited free updates were only ever promised to early adopters like myself:

Code: Select all

Dear PureBasic new user,

First thanks a lot to have registered the PureBasic programming langage.
We hope you will be happy with it for a long time. As you are in the first
to register, unlimited free updated and version for every OSes (now and
futures) are and will be free for you, just ask for them. Updates will be
availables on the PureBasic web site.
Does anyone else's receipt have this clause? Seems to me that Fred could charge for updates if he wanted for those who weren't the "first to register" (his words).
Last edited by BarryG on Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Free updates for life?

Post by Fred »

The mail has never been changed, I will do it now.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

That wasn't my intention. The idea was to show that you could legally and ethically charge for major updates for modern users, to generate more income from it (like you do for SpiderBasic).
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

The product is advertised as free lifetime upgrade on the website, so no I can't do that :)
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

You could always take it off the website.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Many other applications offer free updates for the current version number.xx.yy.
When PB goes to v6.0.0, you must purchase a new or upgrade license. :wink:
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Fred could create a PB PRO version, which has new added features, and charge for updates to that. It wouldn't take much to add it... Just freeze the current 'lesser' PB where it is...
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I think PureBasic is already PRO and should stay that way.

If then only for very special libraries as AddONS
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

Just create a forum where you can post your desired features with an offer to pay $x for them.
If several people want this feature or a sufficient amount of money has come together, it will surely be implemented.
Then everyone is happy and everyone gets something.
地球上の平和
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Tenaja wrote:Fred could create a PB PRO version, which has new added features ..//..
Support for ARM seems to be the perfect opportunity to offer an extended product with an alternative licensing model.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

My two-penneth is that if you download an updated version, why not send some dosh in appreciation? :)
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

PB is awesome I like it very much, but I think one of the most valuable things is this forum.
Would be interesting if we are charged (yearly?) to get the privilege of write questions, while only reading keep free to anyone.
Also, veteran and expert users don't have to pay never, because they are the core of the forums.
I think this would be a good way to make PB more profitable to Fred & company :wink:
es_91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by es_91 »

Fred wrote:The mail has never been changed, I will do it now.
Fred, with all due respect, there are lots of little this about PureBasic that never were changed. Couldn't you perform a quality inspection to the lesser impressive features?

:|
Zach
Addict
Addict

Post by Zach »

Caronte3D wrote:PB is awesome I like it very much, but I think one of the most valuable things is this forum.
Would be interesting if we are charged (yearly?) to get the privilege of write questions, while only reading keep free to anyone.
Also, veteran and expert users don't have to pay never, because they are the core of the forums.
I think this would be a good way to make PB more profitable to Fred & company :wink:

This is a terrible idea. The community would die overnight.
Knowledge is power, and speaking from the novice / hobbyist perspective. If I had to pay for the privilege of asking retarded questions, I would just as soon never use PB again, and force myself to learn something else.

Saki wrote:Just create a forum where you can post your desired features with an offer to pay $x for them.
If several people want this feature or a sufficient amount of money has come together, it will surely be implemented.

This is the right approach, when it comes down to it.
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Post by Demivec »

Zach wrote:
Saki wrote:Just create a forum where you can post your desired features with an offer to pay $x for them.

This is the right approach, when it comes down to it.
From Fred in 2018 wrote:We are reading all ideas/suggestions and pick from them for future features. That said, if you use PB as a living and want a specific feature implemented quickly, the bounty system could work for us. For example, you could submit your idea, and how much you want to put in it (others could add as well), and Timo, Comtois/Guillot (for 3D), or I could then pick it, do the dev and get the bounty. I dunno if Timo and others are interested in it, they will probably tell :). That said, the idea has to be accepted, we won't put in PB anything irrelevant, it has to be useful for as many people as possible.
Here are examples of things sponsored by individuals for the PB 5.70 LTS release:

Code: Select all

- HTTPRequest() and HTTPRequestMemory() to call REST api easily (sponsored by c-wayne)
- UseMySQLDatabase() which use the opensource libmariadb.dll (found in purebasic\compilers\ dir) and brings MySQL and MariaDB support natively to PureBasic ! (sponsored by Paul)