Speed of Basic

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Ivan
User
User

Speed of Basic

Post by Ivan »

I'm a new user in this warm and friendly forum. Some of my questions have been answered with: Because of speed or one pass compiler.

It made me think of a nice recently discovery of this little ARM computer with free Basic (of course not of the level of PB). :D

https://geoffg.net/maximite.html

This computers Basic can execute 270.000 lines of code pr. sec. if it's true...

I know I can't compare directly, but it's a very versatile computer that can do many different task.

The 8-Bit Guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA7REQxohV4
kvitaliy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Speed of Basic

Post by kvitaliy »

Ivan wrote: little ARM computer
ARM computer costing over $ 100!
480 Mgz offer us in 2020 :D

Compare the Meizu M8c smartphone with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM, Snapdragon 425 processor and 5.45 '' HD + display.
Snapdragon 425, it uses 8 processor cores with a clock speed of no more than 1400 MHz.
For photo and video shooting, there is a 13 megapixel main camera and an 8 megapixel front camera.
Includes charger, cord, battery and a beautiful box.
And that's all for $ 65
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Post by infratec »

FreeBasic runs also on a raspberry.

And this is also faster and much cheaper :wink:
Joris
Addict
Addict

Post by Joris »

infratec wrote:FreeBasic runs also on a raspberry.

And this is also faster and much cheaper :wink:
Hmm interesting. Thanks.
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

and to stay in our favorite languange here
any "mini" system like raspbery (or this one ?) who runs linx with decent browser (firefox/chromium) can run SpiderBasic programs
which i believe (hope ? ;)) its, along with PB, favorite syntax here :)

to discuss about your topic also, RaspberryPi is preferred because its much more widespread / more versions / cheaper versions
can also run Android (again Spiderbasic with apk created projects should work i guess)

and for Basic, its not dead at all
its the second most widespread language (after C++ offcourse) among all OS's and embedded systems
and its spead by the most significant factor depends on compiler

for example PureBasic, a true Basic compiler, will ALWAYS be faster than MMBasic (your link has this basic for interpreted) because iti is an interpreter

also the coder makes the difference, for example ANY code I will EVER wrote in C/assembly PB will be ALWAYS, slower than Fred's code in PB.... brain optimization and knowledge makes the biggest difference here
Christos
Ural4320
New User
New User

Post by Ural4320 »

Yes, one of the reasons why I've decided to work with a Raspberry Pi is because of how common it is, there's a ton of dedicated support communities, tutorials etc.
And Basic is far from dead, I mean, that forum IS extremely active for its size, it means that there's a lot going on.