PB portable

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Splunk
User
User

PB portable

Post by Splunk »

I tried to create a portable PureBasic version today. Didn't make it unfortunately and gave up out of frustration. :|

Suggestion: Is it not possible to set up a prompt (check box) for a portable installation during the installation?
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Re: PB portable

Post by ChrisR »

Use Innounp, the Inno Setup Unpacker
To Unpack, use this command line (with your path) :

Code: Select all

innounp.exe -x -b -a -d"E:\PureBasic\PureBasic_5.73_x64_Portable" "E:\PureBasic\PureBasic_Windows_X64_LTS_5.73_(xxxxxx).exe"
Purebasic will be extracted in "E:\PureBasic\PureBasic_5.73_x64_Portable\{app}" subfolder.
To launch it in portable mode, use the /PORTABLE switch
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Yes, portable is the most efficient mode for my Windows workflow.
When PB betas and new releases come, you MUST debug your code before adopting new versions.
There will be times when a new feature or syntax change breaks your code base.
For all PB installs, I use the standard installer but choose a root folder instead of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).
Ex.
Install to C:\PureBasic-x64\ <-- Approved release.
Install to C:\PureBasic-x64-v6b1\ <-- Debug snazzy new release. :P

Then append '/portable' to your link or shortcut that starts PB.
And add each installation path to your antivirus whitelist.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Splunk
User
User

Post by Splunk »

Thanks for your help.

My problem is that I want to install (in addition to an installed version PB 5.71) still for an earlier project the version PB 5.41. This works also so far, only if I want to call the help in the 5.41 with F1, then appears in the help window the message "No access to the page". However in the 5.71 it works.

What is wrong?
highend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by highend »

Splunk
User
User

Post by Splunk »

Wow....that would have been too nice!

Unfortunately, this option no longer exists in W10. But through this tip I searched the internet and found the corresponding registry entry. Unfortunately it doesn't work either.

Uninstalled PB 5.71 and reinstalled PB 5.41. The result: ...still does not work! Then uninstalled PB 5.41 again and installed PB 5.71 again. Now PB 5.71 doesn't work either!!!

WTF?? This outdated shit with the damn .chm...! I can try what I want, it won't work anymore
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Hi Splunk,

First remove all old parameters if exist
:arrow: remove folder %Appdata%\PureBasic\

Second: Unless you have a specific need or a blockage with a function, use the latest versions of PB
  • Latest actual version: 5.73 LTS
  • Latest non-unicode only: 5.46 LTS

History
https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... story.html

The contextual help uses the PureBasic.chm (whatever language) file which is located in the opened IDE directory.

The contents of the help are not displayed if the .chm file has been downloaded separately. Manual unlocking is still valid under Windows 10

Note especially that you can install PB normally and then transform it into a portable installation simply by copying the directories and then changing the startup parameters.

Finally, several versions can be installed on the same computer (but in different directories) while using the same settings directory. This way, all user settings and file history are kept. This what we do to have x86 and x32 and old version on same computer.

:wink:

Edited: Latest non unicode was 5.46 not 5.42
Last edited by Marc56us on Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gérard
User
User

Post by Gérard »

Hello,

In French in the French Forum:

https://www.purebasic.fr/french/viewtop ... =6&t=18346

Gérard/CAGE
■ Win10 64-bit (Intel Celeron CPU N2920 @ 1.86GHz, 4,0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics) & PB 6.00 LTS
■ Vivre et laisser vivre.
■ PureBasic pour le fun
■ cage sur le forum Français
■ Mes sites: http://pbcage.free.fr - http://yh.toolbox.free.fr
Shardik
Addict
Addict

Post by Shardik »

Marc56us wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 pm [*]Latest non-unicode only: 5.42 LTS
This is incorrect. The last PB version supporting both ASCII and Unicode compilation was PB 5.46 LTS. Beginning with PB 5.50 ASCII compilation was removed.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

You're right :o , I listed the history file forgetting that the two series of versions (LTS and non LTS) existed together for a while (plus I still have 5.46 in a corner of the disk even though I don't use it anymore since all the good libs have been converted)
I correct my article. :wink: