question about the concept of a program

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

question about the concept of a program

Post by ShadowStorm »

Good evening,

I'm here to tell you about a program concept, as simply as possible, with simple words.

You would like to have a code module for PB that would allow you to create, customize and manipulate objects in the form of graphics in a "canvas" type editor?

This module would consist of simplistic functions to create and interact with your objects, to customize them, simply.

This module would be able to manipulate Objects in groups if necessary, for example select several Objects with a function or with your mouse, then move them, resize them, or what have you!

It will also be possible to incorporate data to each Object like a number or a string, so all your Objects will be totally independent from each other but unique and customizable!

Imagine these "Objects" a bit like gadgets in PB where each one is unique and customizable, but be careful, they are not "Gadgets" per se but graphics in the form of "Objects", that is to say that they do not have a specific characteristic, like a button for example!

This module would not be oriented to create "GUI", in fact it would be oriented to do several things:

For example you could with this tool, which is a code module, (so you have to code with simple functions), create different editors.

And that could be:

Vector drawing editors.
Graphic editors
Game level editors
Visual program editors (designers)
Graphical interface editors
Flowchart editors

This module focuses on the graphical part of the program, i.e. on a canvas containing graphics representing objects.

After that, it is up to you to do what you want, this module would not be intended to chew up "ALL" your work, it is a tool, which will greatly "facilitate" your task, because what is very difficult to do in some editors, is the manipulation of several Objects, for example selecting a group of Objects, moving them, resizing them, etc.

Moreover, it would be possible later on, to consider putting a graphical interface on all this, this way you wouldn't have to code too much, there would be an editor to create object editors (complicated I know), but it requires a lot of work, it would be possible but difficult.

The main strength of the module would be the manipulation of the Objects.

That is to say that you could customize your Objects as you like, for example by putting an image on them (even more powerful, your own graphic code), customize the mouse cursor when it passes over them, customize the resizing handles of the Objects and put only the ones you are interested in and even customize them too... !

The Canvas gadget would be used and called here an editor, and in this editor you incorporate your Objects and you customize and manipulate them as you like.

You could create several editors in the same program, each editor would have its own Objects, but it would be possible to change the Objects from one editor to another.

The editor would support mouse and keyboard to interact and manipulate your objects and all this would be customizable of course.

Objects could be selected, deselected, moved, resized, rotated, with the mouse or with functions...

You could also force your objects to do certain things, for example, limit them in movement and size, but also in rotation, for example:

Being able to limit their minimum and maximum size.
Be able to choose a resizing "step", for example from 5 to 5 pixels.
To be able to move them only within a certain limited area.
To be able to choose a moving "step", for example from 5 to 5 pixels.

The strength of the module would also be to be able to know at any time what has happened to your objects, for example:

Has an object been moved, resized, rotated?
Was it clicked (pressed, released, double clicked) (left, center, right)?

Of course, not everything has been written, the module would be able to do much more but the essential has been said.

Do you like the concept?
I am French, I do not speak English.
My apologies for the mistakes.

I have sometimes problems of expression
I am sometimes quite clumsy, please excuse me and let me know.
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Re: question about the concept of a program

Post by Demivec »

ShadowStorm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 am Do you like the concept?
How is that different from the concept of the thread 'EditorFactory - Module for object management in a Canvas' ?
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Exactly, great question!
Yes, that's what Editors Factory does!

However, I would like to understand why such a project doesn't interest anyone, it's beyond me!

So I think I probably didn't explain things well
maybe I didn't choose the right name
maybe I said things that people misunderstood or that I was wrong...

Maybe people thought it was a program to create their own editor entirely.

I'm trying to figure out what happened.

Also, I don't know yet, but it seems like something I would have liked to add is very difficult now, and that starting the project from scratch based on Editors Factory might be a good idea, with a better follow-up on the forum, see another license, maybe it's not the right one?

Maybe even put it on Gibhub?
So, I'm looking for answers, and then I saw this.

So maybe people would be interested in joining the project?

Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

ShadowStorm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am However, I would like to understand why such a project doesn't interest anyone...
Some simple examples of how to use it and for what, it would help to understand its usefulness (I think).
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

You basically describe a great c# application development framework.

Yes, those are pretty useful and the good ones are (rightfully) expensive.

Once you implemented it and did a dozen examples how to use it, we can talk about the usefulness, license and price :D
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Bitblazer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:24 am You basically describe a great c# application development framework.

Yes, those are pretty useful and the good ones are (rightfully) expensive.

Once you implemented it and did a dozen examples how to use it, we can talk about the usefulness, license and price :D
We already did that dans Editors Factory ! :)