VDOS

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDOS

Post by C87 »

I don't know if anyone if anyone would be interested but I came across a program called VDOS from www.vdos.info

It is a MS-DOS simulator that runs on Windows. (I'm on Win10 64Bit) Basically it simulates a DOS screen with 80 columns
and 24 lines. I ran a Clipper87 program written in the 1980s and 1990s which I last complied in 1997 and it was fine.
I have also run a couple of PureBasic programs in it which appeared to work normally. Obviously the screen size isn't
quite right for a PureBasic Windows program. One was just an EXE to put the ASCII code on-screen. The other was a
database program using a BE SQLite database and it appears Ok but no real tests made. It is mouse enabled in the
PureBasic program but not obviously in Clipper87, except to close it down. Back to just eight for a filename though!

Maybe just of novelty interest but so easy to run a few old programs to compare with today. VDOS is a free download.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Re: VDOS

Post by infratec »

We use it to run an old FoxPro program which is soon replaced by a PB program :mrgreen:

But if you need to use a serial port, you need DOSBox.

In both cases it is not easy to print correctly.

My old Sharp MZ-700 emulator is running well with DOSBox, since it emulates a VGA card very accurate.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: VDOS

Post by C87 »

Ah, yes Infratec.......the joys of printing in DOS, I had forgotten that one.
At the end I had a system table of 126 printers with 32 different printer codes for each. I doubt that many today will
have any idea about printer codes and needing to include them in the programs. In fact switching to Windows was a
big plus as it handled the printing and printers without much effort from me. Happy days.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!