Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Re: Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Post by Caronte3D »

The fact is exactly like BarryG said.

When I was a 3D generalist, I must do watermarked work only to show I could do with Blender, because ealmost every company was using Maya, 3DStudioMax, Houdine and so on, and wan't to ear about something freeware.

Now I must do the same on programing, because many times the client almost laugh when ear the word "basic", so then I code a demo only to demostrate that can do the requested job

It's frustrant sometimes.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

It's true, they are still teaching bad attitudes about basic in school. I had an intern I showed some code to, and he said something like "oh, that's not as bad as I thought it would be". He'd never seen basic, but had already been taught a negative attitude.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

As I understand it, the clients do not understand programming at all, and the name looks too simple for them. I don't feel a problem in the name of the program. Maybe in English it sounds like simplified computer science or initial simplicity or simplified logic. Maybe when they ask you in what language you will write it, tell them that in the coolest language in the world PureBasic. It remains for you to finish off the client with arguments if he does not agree. You can show examples of programs in this language, similar to what you are being asked about. It is not profitable to do work for the sake of proving that you can do it, because the client may refuse the work already done.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

It is rare that exe's and dll's are questioned for their language. I state there are no runtime dependencies so it is assumed to be C based, which they will be with v6! :)
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Lord
Addict
Addict

Post by Lord »

Would be good if PureBasic change is name?
NO!
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

I expressed my thoughts on this topic in the discussion nearly 2 years ago (linked in previous posts). My opinion has not changed so also - NO!

The only thing I might add is that "PureBasic" has been the product tag for over 20 years now - this is very valuable for presence on the web. I know from my own experience that this is worth a lot for credibility and listing by search engines.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

deeproot wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:55 pm I expressed my thoughts on this topic in the discussion nearly 2 years ago (linked in previous posts). My opinion has not changed so also - NO!

The only thing I might add is that "PureBasic" has been the product tag for over 20 years now - this is very valuable for presence on the web. I know from my own experience that this is worth a lot for credibility and listing by search engines.
While longevity can improve search rankings on the server side, undesireable names can prevent the search on the keyboard side.
OgreVorbis
User
User

Post by OgreVorbis »

It should be Fanta-C
My blog/software site: http://dosaidsoft.com/
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

OgreVorbis wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:41 am It should be Fanta-C

OgreVorbis ,
Fanta-C .... sounds OK , knowing its Fantaisie Software

i'd change it to FantaC instead of Fanta-C
that way when you double-click on FantaC you select the whole word .
either way , OK

maybe a Contest to come up with a winning Name ?
and if its really great ... Fred might like it enough to make a Name change ?

i still like the original name : PureBasic

Merry Christmas to all !!!

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

You can make a second name. And how someone likes, he calls it that.
OgreVorbis
User
User

Post by OgreVorbis »

VB6_to_PBx wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:08 am

OgreVorbis ,
Fanta-C .... sounds OK , knowing its Fantaisie Software

i'd change it to FantaC instead of Fanta-C
that way when you double-click on FantaC you select the whole word .
either way , OK

maybe a Contest to come up with a winning Name ?
and if its really great ... Fred might like it enough to make a Name change ?

i still like the original name : PureBasic

Merry Christmas to all !!!
I think it's very applicable because of the new C backend and the software company name combined. I would keep the original PureBasic name for the old versions with the assembly backend. That way search queries still work for people familiar with the old name. Then when the new version gets released, you could use the new name for that one only. It's the beginning of a new series basically. It might not work out perfectly though if there wasn't an overhaul of the syntax, cause I think with a new name, people would be expecting a different syntax. I'd like if it just used "End" for everything except "For...Next". "Wend" was always strange to me. You'd then replace the "End" keyword with "Exit". To maintain compatibility, a quick scan/conversion of the old syntax files wouldn't be too hard cause nothing major would change internally (or so I would think).

Actually, it might be better if it just used the braces { } like C. It's faster to type and simpler, but the rest of the syntax could stay. I'm not sure if PB uses normal brackets [ ] anywhere, but that would be even easier to type. When I was making my own small scripting language a long time ago, I used that because pressing the shift + bracket requires a weird hand motion that isn't natural.

I do agree with the comments that the name "PureBasic" gives off the connotation of a toy. But in reality, I'd consider this even less of a toy than C#. It's native and even allows in-line assembly.

Merry Christmas to you too :)
My blog/software site: http://dosaidsoft.com/
chikega
User
User

Post by chikega »

My wife enjoys drinking Fanta soda. :D
Gary E Chike DMD MS
'Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want' Image
chikega
User
User

Post by chikega »

Caronte3D wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:20 pm I think one of the best names would be:

PURE
Unfortunately, or fortunately for some, there is already a Pure programming language. I noticed it when I was perusing Rosetta Code site. I had to update it's URL since it was broken on the Rosetta Code site. It appears to be a functional programming language inspired by Haskell, Lisp...
Gary E Chike DMD MS
'Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want' Image
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

FantaC is C by Fantaisie Software!!!???
Dawn will come inevitably.
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

I like to bother my friend by asking him to "invent C but with objects" and it makes me cackle every time. :mrgreen:
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░