Install PB on Manjaro

Raspberry PI specific forum
daveb
User
User

Install PB on Manjaro

Post by daveb »

I am probably wrong, but when I unpack the tarball and read the install information It appears that PB 6.0 for ARM64 is designed to only work on Ubuntu.

Since the Debian based Raspian OS is the most commonly used OS for Raspberry PI, I guess PB 6.0 for ARM64 does install there.

Unfortunately Raspian does not work well on my PI 4B, but Manjaro for ARM64 works on the PI 4B just like it does on a high end desktop. So, does anyone here have any experience or information about the possibility of running PB 6.0 on Manjaro.

Any information or pointers would be welcome.

Dave
jack
Addict
Addict

Re: Install PB on Manjaro

Post by jack »

although I only fire-up my pi4 once a month for updates, raspian64 works without any problems but I have not tried to run PB, what problems do you have?
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

For me, the Raspberry Pi OS with desktop [64-bit] works very well on my Raspberry PI4 Model B.
And Purebasic also runs on my Raspberry.

PureBasic for Raspberry is available for Arm 32-bit and Arm 64-bit.

But it also runs on others like Ubuntu 20.04 (Arm64)
(And under Parallels on a macOS with M1)
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
daveb
User
User

Post by daveb »

Hi Jack,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I heve several issues with Debian Rasputin, but the main ones are:
  • Old and poorly adapted programs.
  • Mouse and keyboard issues.
One of numerous examples is LibreOffice on Debian is several releases and badly modified. The Manjaro repository is up-to-date with the project's current release and I have the possibility to parallel installs of pre-release/beta versions.
Mouse and keyboard delay/stutter make Debian unusable. Manjaro (same hardware) mouse and keyboard functionality is smooth as silk, just as I would expect on a high end desktop box.
I really don't want this to become a "red herring" debate about the pros & cons of one OS v another, I just want to be able to use PB 6.0 on my PI 4B without "fighting" the OS. My main interest is to use PB to access the Pigpiod library.
Dave
daveb
User
User

Post by daveb »

Hi mk-soft,
You and your many code examples have been a fantastic help to me over the years, for which I thank you.
I am very pleased that Raspian OS works for you, but for me it is a 100% total bust, to the pint that I am just about ready to "bin" the PI.
Obviously there is something different in our respective environments, but that doesn't explain or resolve the reason why Manjaro and Raspian behave such extremely different ways in exactly the same environment.
Regards Dave
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I once installed Manjaro on my PI 400.
Then unpacked Purebasic for Raspberry (Arm64) and started it. It runs.

Because I have no experience with package manager "PACMAN", which packages I have to install, I installed all "base-devel".
sudo pacman -S base-devel
For the WebGadget and the OpenGLGadget I installed the following packages.
sudo pacman -S webkit2gtk
sudo pacman -S glfw-x11
sudo pacman -S glu
After that, so far the examples of Purebasic ran. :D
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
daveb
User
User

Post by daveb »

I am again indebted to you. Following your steps I had a couple of false starts, but now I have PB 6.0 working under Manjaro on my PI.
There are still some things that I have to sort out, but they are related to configuring the OS rather than PB, so I will go and harass the folks in the Manjaro forums. :D
Thanks & Regards
Dave