PlayMovie() from console?

Linux specific forum
PeterH
User
User

PlayMovie() from console?

Post by PeterH »

Been trying to figure this one out for a bit. Considering that we use libvlc for PlayMovie() on Linux as far as I understood now, could we then somehow play movies without X server, or do we still have to depend on X server for this functionality? I'm planning on buying a few Pi Zero 2 W and running a video player in a kind of "kiosk mode", hiding all the boot messages etc.

I did search the forum like a mad man and found some contradicting information.
Fred in 2016: viewtopic.php?p=490006#p490006
Fred in 2002: viewtopic.php?p=15126#p15126
Help file under "PlayMovie()": "It's also possible to play a movie on a full screen, simply use the result of ScreenID() as 'WindowID'."

I do recall that I tried PlayMovie() in DietPi, with LXDE, a couple of months ago when the Raspberry version was release (before misplacing them), but that I got an error from InitMovie() which I never got around to troubleshoot. Probably just some library missing, but libvlc-dev was installed.

After "spring cleaning" I can't find my old Raspberries, and therefor have some problems testing this out before I make a purchase that I prefer not to be in vain. Anyone here who has tried using PlayMovie() in a "screen" in Linux at all, preferrably with a Raspberry Pi (Zero 2 W or not) and even better if getting it working without a desktop running?

Grateful for any information or guidance!

Regards,
Peter