A game like this

Advanced game related topics
Kamarro
User
User

Re: A game like this

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am "My all-time fave PB made game has to be Izzy the Busy Squirrel. It used the native engine and it was a blast to play. Very addictive."
TFYR (Thanks For Your Reply)

I don't know the game, but I'm curious, I'll check it about.
Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am I lost that game when I moved a few years back and I miss it very much. Would rebuy it if I could remember the site that was selling it (if it still exists).
If I find something, I'll let you know. I know your feeling, because I have the same situation, at least I believe I do, with another game:
When I was on my 20's, in early 80s, maybe 1982 or 83, I bought an MSX, a Sharp MZ-800, and I had a game called Flappy. It was nothing like the Flappys that you find today, it wasn't a bird flying between towers and pillars, it was something like a mix of Manic Miner (from Spectrum) and Sokoban, the warehouse storage man. It was a little yellow flame shaped pet digging on levels of rocks.
If I had time, maybe one day I'll find it, I'll redo it. It's an easy game to make, just a few variables, no physics at all, although it looks like you need physics is just an array of stones and rocks. It's less than one month hard work, but I have no time for that now.
It's a wonderful game, no pace time, no racing, just logic and deduction.
I'll try to find your Izzy.
(About Flappy, yes, I can use a Spectrum emulator and the game is available for free to "ROM" it.)
Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am
IIRC, this game was made with PureB.
https://www.lostlabyrinth.com
This is my first priority. I want to see it. I like mazes. I'll let you know here about my opinion of it.
Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am Not the quality you are wanting, but for me as an old fart it is the style and types of games I enjoy. I rarely play games anymore. Post traumatic brain injury, games with graphics moving too fast really mess with my head. Not dizzy, but almost like a mental fog that can last two weeks.
I didn't wanted exactly quality, but more like quantity. Yes, look stupid, but as I said, Tetris was a Great game with a couple of Bytes of code. I was looking for Big Projects, like the ones I referred, and I don't think some of them are GREAT games, but they are big, long source codes, many images, large tables of arrays, many files, that's what I was searching for. Games with years of studies and development. Not exactly about the quality, because sometimes, a simple draw is as good as a wonderful 3D pic.

Nice to ear from you and thank you for a correct answer!
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am I rarely play games anymore. Post traumatic brain injury, games with graphics moving too fast really mess with my head. Not dizzy, but almost like a mental fog that can last two weeks.
About this part, as another old fart, I understand you well. I used to love Formula 1, a fast car racing called something like Midnight Runner, or something like that; I used to play it on my old Mac, it was the only Mac racing game and a good one. Superbikes 2000, my crazy bike driving game that I was playing first person, camera 1, for 22 laps and after I was smoking a cigarette and watching the full replay for every circuit. And Need for Speed, Driver, DCS, oh God, I was also a Biker guy on street.
Now, like the game I've finished now, I'm much more a sofa guy, mouse on one hand, heart pills on another, no smoking, no driving at all, not even cars... It's life my friend, it's life.

Being older is exactly like this, being OLD is another thing, and that... I believe I'm not. Older but always YOUNG!

Let's go fart!
Last edited by Kamarro on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
learnlearntt
User
User

Post by learnlearntt »

Kamarro wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:35 pm
Does anyone ever did a game as "GOOD" as this?

Or this, that is a game from late 90's but wonderfull in size and diversity, not just a checkers

This is another good example of what I'm talking. No big 3D Unreal games, no Big Company's games, just a good 2D
The reason may be that the focus of the marketing strategy of PureBasic is not on game development. As a result, not too many indie game developers bought, learnt and used PureBasic in commercial game development. If increased emphasis of the promotion of PureBasic is placed on game development, the current situation may be significantly improved. Right? :)
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

learnlearntt wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:17 am The reason may be that the focus of the marketing strategy of PureBasic is not on game development. As a result, not too many indie game developers bought, learnt and used PureBasic in commercial game development.
TFYR too.
Yes and No, but mostly Yes. In fact I never saw any marketing about PB anywhere. I found it when I decided to drop some older languages, but keeping the BASIC line and started a search for a language replacement. That's how I found PureBasic.
Yes, it's a powerful language for Applications development, specially in Windows, or in Windows Mode, good for Networking and Web (I've done nice things thanks to the easy use of the Net), but it has also a lot of dedicated functions useful for game production.
Even after years of use, like a taxi driver that knows a city by the hand, but nothing about another city, I can do wonderful things in one area, but know nothing about others. This because we always dedicate our time to one thing, more than another.
After working on my games (yes, I have a few, smaller ones too), I figured out that PB is much more powerful for games than it looks. It's just not the tool that the big market want. It's not Object Oriented, it's not a NO-CODE engine, it's not even a Game Engine, but most good games are made in C# or C++. That's what I was using before. PB has a wonderful IDE, specially if customized, a good structure, and the NO:
- It's almost impossible to know it all in a lifetime. I believe that even the author doesn't remember everything on every situation. It's not a dictionary like many other languages, it's an encyclopedia of constants, variables, instructions, and with a very complex sintaxe with many variants in most cases. Uau, it's incredibly large. Sometimes I have to search the Help (It's not good on search, really bad indeed) for ages to find what I need to do. It's easier to ask on forums for an answer like "What is the instruction to do this?" or "How can I do this?".

That's why I say Yes and No. It's really not good for big production games, if we go to the 3D Real World, like Tom Clancy's, Star Citizen, Uncharted, The Last Of Us, etc, etc. No, I can't see any future for that kind of games. But for 2D games, is a very fast and wonderful language, BIG, but easy to learn, with some good added values about scripting. Using tricks like, paralaxes, layers, transparency and my favorite, the use of ISAM on Sprites, using Sprites as Images and not as only animated objects, this language is a paradise for game development.

This will be my morning. Read next answer to you!
learnlearntt wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:17 am If increased emphasis of the promotion of PureBasic is placed on game development, the current situation may be significantly improved. Right? :)
Yes, you're completely right. I don't see any promotion of PB. Kids at school (depending of system and countries) are learning Pascal, Visual Basic, Fortran, C, etc... don't think about insert PB at schools.
After school, every guy looking for a career on Game Production will look at Unity, Unreal, etc... or else, they want Python, Java and HTML 5 to make Android and Web games, fast and easy, selling thousands for 3 or 5 bucks each copy, minus the GooglePlay comission and things like that.
Nobody thinks of languages like RealBasic (today is Xojo), or ABasic, BBasic, or PureBasic as languages for games.
I'll do my best today, because I can, not because I'm the best, but I don't believe that PureBasic have future as a Game language, because the competition is High. There are SO MANY engines and gaming tools out there, that people always choose the cheaper, the fashion one, the most spoken, the one used to make THAT game, and here is where I'll give my contribution.

For personal, and a few more, reasons I asked firmly to the company who bought my game, to include a line on product saying "This game was completely programmed using PureBasic®". This is what I will be saying and explaining 3 hours from now, on an interview that I'll be recording today at the IMAX studios, exactly for use in a near future promotion action from the new owner!

It will be nothing, but MAYBE, just maybe, some more guys will try to use it and like it as much as I do!

Cheers!
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am IIRC, this game was made with PureB.
https://www.lostlabyrinth.com
Hi again, as I told you before, this would be my priority while I have some free time (if it really exists).
I tried to buy it but, don't know why, payment system is not working, at least for me. It's a very low level game for what I could see. Graphics are very bad for our days, but this started to be done ages from now. This is old, and even with the new version (the one made with PB), the gameplay may be good (I never say fun; this is a game, not a joke), playable, re-playable, and might be very interesting for the genre that in essence is not that far from mine.
I don't like the resolution, but years ago, higher resolution were not easy, and as you can see by the quoted text bellow, this game was made much before PB being what it is today. Not even Mac available yet. God, it's old!)
This is the kind of game that should be done using RPGMaker, not because I'll do it, I would prefer to use PB, for a couple of reasons, but because the author, or authors, are not good enough with graphics and RPGMaker (no matter what version) is ideal for that. Doesn't do anything else, but RPGs like that, is really wonderfully easy to use. And graphics are included or added as packs, very cheap
and with lots of nice graphics. (Although the resolution and depth being so LR).

Another programmer that changed from another language to PureBasic, for the reason that you can read next. Here is a quote from their FAQ.
The classic version is developed since years and development is still going on.
The programming is done by a friend of mine with whom I studied information technology some years ago.
So why is there a need for a new version?
The classic one is written in blitzbasic which is not developed anymore.
And this compiler is only existing for windows.
Purebasic the language the new version is written in is still developed and has a lot of nice features blitzbasic cannot offer (Like an integrated packer for the resources).
We also can compile the game without changing one line of code for windows and linux and maybe soon even mac os.

The game was programmed from scratch and did not use any code of the classic version.
Interesting, how world runs, isn't it?
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am "My all-time fave PB made game has to be Izzy the Busy Squirrel. It used the native engine and it was a blast to play. Very addictive."
I lost that game when I moved a few years back and I miss it very much. Would rebuy it if I could remember the site that was selling it (if it still exists).
Even not knowing exactly what I'm looking for, and since the original site is completely OFF, what makes me blind about game images and other things, the best I can do for you, is to give you this link, because it has a lot of Squirrel games, for Kidz, I know, but as I said, I don't know what I'm looking for. Maybe you have a chance to find something alike, or useful to remember any way of getting it back.
Be safe!

https://games.kidzsearch.com/computer/i ... h=squirrel
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Bitblazer wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:50 pm This did lead me to Izzy the busy squirrel
Talking about this? https://backups.rsbasic.de/IzzyInstaller.exe
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Okay, after returning from Studios for the interview that went really well, since I am not an English spoken person, I asked the representative guy, a few things and there is a little trick to show you something without compromise the operation.
This interview will be available mostly on YouTube in a couple of months (they say) and will be dubbed and/or subtitled in various languages. It was a very professional thing, with a big mess about the lights and the rehearsal of sound... it's done.

About the game and some tips about, all I can do is to give you this link, where you can see, 3 images "from the game". Quotes are the reason why you can see them. They will not be used. Things turn out a bit different, but since the art is mine only, and they were not used, being only illustrations, I can share them with you. The copyright is mine, not from the game's owner.

If I'm not messing with the order, the first is the original cover image, for the box, or to be used as presentation poster, but the final one is much different. The second one is from the foggy mountains, but has also been replaced by a new algorithm and images now look much more like the third one that is the much closer to the final version, but game is not even hexagonal anymore.

If you're intrigued how did I put this working on PureBasic, I must remember you, that the game is a 2D only game. Of course videos are videos, photos are photos, and almost every complex game has introduction screens, helpers, on-the-fly datasheets and illustrations for places, etc. But there's no programming in 3D, although most base images are made in 3D programs; when used here, of course, I have to use them mostly as backgrounds for sprites, or as cards illustrations. I can't reveal more than this.

Here is the link for the 3 images: https://imgur.com/a/ATjpuMp

THIS IS A NEW LINK. OLD ONE NOT FUNCTIONING NOW! Also, new images are 9 instead of only 3
Last edited by Kamarro on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darius676
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by darius676 »

Janni wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 pm Caronte3D is probably right, but with hard work and dedication I think you can make some pretty amazing games entirely with PureBasic
Check out for instance Mark Dowen's work. https://www.youtube.com/@markdowen2509
Thank you for mention my work :)

the latest update (29.01.2023) BUILD 1.1160

is online

https://mark-dowen.itch.io/thorins-world-working-title
yuki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by yuki »

Kamarro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm Here is the link for the 3 images: https://imgur.com/a/ATjpuMp
Looks cool, but Midjourney did not exist 3 years ago. Good luck nevertheless.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

yuki wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:55 am
Kamarro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm Here is the link for the 3 images: https://imgur.com/a/ATjpuMp
Looks cool, but Midjourney did not exist 3 years ago. Good luck nevertheless.
xD
Few disconnected random images indeed.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

Kuron wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 am https://www.lostlabyrinth.com
'Lost-Labyrinth-Portals' can be found here as an open source game like 'Lost Labyrinth':
viewtopic.php?t=79337&hilit=Lost+Labyrinth+Portals%27
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

I can't believe how "~#!"XZ" people can be. Even if those images were made by Midjourney (or used by MJ to remake), that wouldn't say if they are related, or not. They WERE in my game, as I told, and they are not used now, anymore.
They are completely connected and I'm no kid or a street boy to lose my temper and show you the real images from the game.
After an annoying user sent me privates about things like this, I did make him happy, but I'll never compromise my sale agreement.

As I said before, this forums are really getting worse, day after day. Just remember this two words and in a couple of months, you'll feel the most reprimandable and stupid guys. You shouldn't live only to destroy other's credit!

Two words for a near future: Kapitalia, Rebelia ... and the last laugh will be mine!

Nice to meet you, those who helped me, with answers and also with the No Answers. This topic was my mistake. Sorry!
Last edited by Kamarro on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.