IDE: Pray stop the jumpy behaviour of the Search function

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Blue
Addict
Addict

IDE: Pray stop the jumpy behaviour of the Search function

Post by Blue »

Every time the Search function in the PB Editor finds what you've asked it to go looking for, it brusquely jumps to the top of the editing window and scrolls the text so that the found expression appears highlighted on the first visible line of the editing window. Ouch ! :shock:

That behaviour not only scares me to death every time, it also makes my computing life unnecessarily harsh and unpleasant as it totally obscures the context of the search result.

And then, to make things even worse, when it reaches the bottom of the file, it always requires a useless extra click to keep searching from the top of the file. That actually hurts my weary old right wrist !

My cardiologist, who is good friends with my physiotherapist, who uses PB daily, advised that changing to a smoother (and more modern) behaviour would not only enhance the Search function, but it would actually add years of happiness and good fortune to my PB life.

So, please, PB Gods, put an end to this cruel jumpy behaviour and grant me this important wish ASAP.

(Yesterday, i think, would be an excellent time to implement it.) 8)

Thank you, PB Gods, and have a good night too.

PS : Should this prayer actually be better adressed to the Scintilla authors ? :oops:
Is this abhorrent behaviour built-in to the Scintilla plugin ?

"That's not a bug..." said the programmer. "it's a feature! "
"Oh! I see..." replied the blind man.
c4s
Addict
Addict

Re: IDE: Pray stop the jumpy behaviour of the Search functio

Post by c4s »

Amen.
If any of you native English speakers have any suggestions for the above text, please let me know (via PM). Thanks!
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: IDE: Pray stop the jumpy behaviour of the Search function

Post by BarryG »

Blue wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 amEvery time the Search function in the PB Editor finds what you've asked it to go looking for, it brusquely jumps to the top of the editing window and scrolls the text so that the found expression appears highlighted on the first visible line of the editing window. Ouch ! :shock:
+1 for not showing the result at the top of the IDE. Centered in the IDE would be better.
ColeopterusMaximus
User
User

Post by ColeopterusMaximus »

+1 I'm an arthritic sufferer too.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

+1
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Center of field of view please or no scroll at all if already in field of view.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

As Skywalk mentions, it would be far better if searching didn't reposition the screen when the next match is within the "field of view".

If not within view, it should approximately centre the found text vertically, as others have suggested.