Version 6.10 update?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
dvenus
New User
New User

Version 6.10 update?

Post by dvenus »

Hi!

I am new and considering Pure Basic. It seems to be the only basic getting updated. A recent blog indicated version 6.10 may be getting worked on. Any info on what may be included or when it might be available?

Thanks,

Dave
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Re: Version 6.10 update?

Post by jacdelad »

https://www.purebasic.fr/blog/
That's almost all we know for now.

But this is a strange way to start here. What's wrong with the current version?
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Most interesting is the new web gadget Fred mentioned.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
dvenus
New User
New User

Post by dvenus »

Hi!

Nothing is wrong with the current version.

I am sorry if I offended the group.

As I mentioned pure basic appears to be the only basic compiler getting updates and fixes. Other commercial products don't appear to have had updates or fixes in a few years. So the blog made me curious as to what might coming.

Thanks, Dave
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

dvenus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pmI am sorry if I offended the group.
You didn't. Welcome to PureBasic!
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

Yeah, you didn't upset me, I just think the question was strange as a first post. Seemed like you were a bot or so.
Of course it makes sense to know a bit about the future when you plan to buy something. Sorry if I sounded rude (I sometimes am though...).

You can try most things with the demo already, before buying.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Version 6 brought the C output version, which made arm Mac and raspberry pi targets possible. My guess is there probably won't be very significant new features for nearly another year, as these new targets become stable and mature. I'm sure it was a huge undertaking to add the C output as well as two new targets, and we are now seeing the bugs related to those dwindle.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Tenaja wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:56 pm Version 6 brought the C output version, which made arm Mac and raspberry pi targets possible. My guess is there probably won't be very significant new features for nearly another year, as these new targets become stable and mature.
I agree.
However, it seems that there might be a security update soon.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

I probably thought the same as the OP, dvenus, when I encountered PureBasic. A number of paid applications these days require a maintenance contract in order to receive further updates, so I can imagine some people might be inclined to wait until the next release. But with PureBasic, there is the benefit of a generous perpetual update licence.

Interesting point about other languages not having been updated, PB is very much a living development platform. Welcome to the forum dvenus.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

The expansion of Python, Go and JavaScript render most Basics obsolete.

PureBasic (&SpiderBasic) is the long-lived exception.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

dvenus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm As I mentioned pure basic appears to be the only basic compiler getting updates and fixes. Other commercial products don't appear to have had updates or fixes in a few years. So the blog made me curious as to what might coming.
Curiosity is generally only bad for cats. :mrgreen: PB seems too good to be true, when compared to the competition, doesn't it? PB is the last indie BASIC standing, and Fred is the only developer of an indie language who has a proven track record of keeping his promises to his userbase (which speaks volumes as to why it is the last indie BASIC standing).

The old saying in the 90s, in the heyday of Shareware, was an upgrade is just an update released when you needed the money. When PB became "not as profitable", Fred could have done what many other indie BASIC developers did and move to a paid model or make new features a paid add on. Not, Fred. He went out and got a regular job. He kept his promise of free updates to his users.

Any comments I make on Fred, apply equally to Freak. Freak is a coding Guru, just like Fred. We have two strong developers of the language and Andre kicks some serious butt when it comes to the documentation. PureBasic still exists largely because its developers care about the product and its users. And in general, we have some of the most helpful and knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Yes, the community has changed over the years as other languages have taken off and many may move on. But, many of us are still here. I have been here since JAN 2004. One month shy of 20 years. Many have been here since the late 90s. One of the most heart warming things I have seen in any programming community, was long ago, when Fred, Freak and Bericko (sp?) (who used to maintain the GUI editor) had a get together in person and shared some pictures. You could see the happiness, mutual respect and general camaraderie and friendship in their eyes and faces. Because the developers get along so well, is a part of why PB is still here.

A lot has changed in the 20 years that I have been here. In the product and in the lives of everybody here. Fred, like many of us, has gotten married and started a family. I am a firm believer in "Family comes first" and Fred, I am sure, believes the same. So if updates are not as quick as some may like, we need to learn to be patient.

If you want to see some of what PB is capable of, cruise the code Archives of purearea.net There is a lot of old example code there, that can run under modern versions with some tweaking, or you can download the old versions of PB from your account.

Keep in mind, it is not just FREE updates. It is free updates for ALL platforms, including emerging ones. When I first joined, I think the only platforms supported were Amiga, Windows (32 bit) and Linux (32 bit). Look at all that is supported now. And it is not just for applications, it is for games, too.

Most competition, even if offering free upgrades, would still be charging for each platform. Unlike much of the competition, PB has actually been on store shelves at one point. PB has a track record to be proud of, and Fred has a legacy and work ethic to be proud of. Even more importantly, Fred has the respect of his user base, which is also a huge part of why PB is still here.

Welcome to the community! I know you said you are considering it. You will not regret your purchase.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

100% agreed with everything that Kuron said. A great post!
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

BarryG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:30 am 100% agreed with everything that Kuron said. A great post!
Absolutely right! Completely agree with everything in Kuron's post. PureBasic and its team really are the best :D
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Thanks Kuron, and thanks to point out that Fr34k is key to PureBasic. I know he likes to stay in the shadow, but he did a lot of tricky part of PB (the 3 debuggers, the IDE, VectorDrawing, a full rework of 2DDrawing, JSON, XML, DragnDrop to name a few) and PureBasic wouldn't be what it is today without his contributions !
Ajm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ajm »

I wholeheartedly agree with what Kuron said.
Purebasic absolutely rocks.
Fred and Fr34k have done and continue to do a fantastic job.
Regards

Andy

Registered PB & PureVision User