Version 6.10 update?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Version 6.10 update?

Post by Oso »

skywalk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:36 am The expansion of Python, Go and JavaScript render most Basics obsolete. PureBasic (&SpiderBasic) is the long-lived exception.
What we're using though, in PureBasic, is a language that offers quite a number of C programming concepts and the power that comes with them, but at the same time provides the convenience and productivity of BASIC syntax. I would think therefore PureBasic is much more than a typical BASIC and it really only shares the BASIC name — not the BASIC scope.

There's also Rust that's been making a name recently. But aren't there too many languages now that the industry has encouraged to proliferate? I feel that so many new languages have been designed to fill gaps in existing languages, instead of extending those which already exist. In doing so, they themselves have broad weaknesses too, because they focus on a limited aspect. One could argue that none of them are broadly any good and some seem weak. That's perhaps why we need such things as "stacks" these days — in other words, to complete a programming project, we have to use several languages :D
williamvanhoecke
User
User

Post by williamvanhoecke »

dvenus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm I am sorry if I offended the group.
This forum is meant to ask questions, so....No you didn't. Welcome to PureBasic!
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Oso wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:36 pmWhat we're using though, in PureBasic, is a language that offers quite a number of C programming concepts and the power that comes with them, but at the same time provides the convenience and productivity of BASIC syntax. I would think therefore PureBasic is much more than a typical BASIC and it really only shares the BASIC name — not the BASIC scope.

There's also Rust that's been making a name recently. But aren't there too many languages now that the industry has encouraged to proliferate? I feel that so many new languages have been designed to fill gaps in existing languages, instead of extending those which already exist. In doing so, they themselves have broad weaknesses too, because they focus on a limited aspect. One could argue that none of them are broadly any good and some seem weak. That's perhaps why we need such things as "stacks" these days — in other words, to complete a programming project, we have to use several languages :D
I only tried to list languages that erode Basic adoption. Python is heavily promoted in academia and a large percentage of corporations.

Rust(and Zig) are an evolution of C to reduce or eliminate undefined behavior and memory corruption while maintaining the speed of C. These are terse system languages.
Other languages(Odin,V,Beef) seek to improve C/C++, but they are most often written in C/C++ to achieve their goals. :wink:

PureBasic has also consistently evolved and continues to provide a worthy competitor to both new and old languages.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

Kuron wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:46 am Welcome to the community! I know you said you are considering it. You will not regret your purchase.
Some very nice points made Kuron — always great to read other members' personal history with a product we enjoy using. :)
Kuron wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:46 am Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
Thanks and likewise to you, I thought at first it sounded like you are going away. :D
Last edited by Oso on Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

skywalk wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:27 pm Rust(and Zig) are an evolution of C to reduce or eliminate undefined behavior and memory corruption while maintaining the speed of C. These are terse system languages. Other languages(Odin,V,Beef) seek to improve C/C++, but they are most often written in C/C++ to achieve their goals. :wink:
Some new ones on me there :D Damn, that's some hours reading up I've got to do to try to keep up to date. :? Really though, if there are so many that attempt to resolve areas of C/C++ then it says a lot about C — both its difficulties and its staying power.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Nice prose and a beautiful message Kuron
I haven't been here since 2004, but after a little time, I feel the same way
Fred's answer sums it up: there's a lot of mutual respect and shared values between them and for users.
They can be proud of the result, a great adventure which I hope will continue.
Fred wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:57 am PureBasic wouldn't be what it is today without them
Including all the guys who have contributed to this success story.
Compact (-50Mb for windows x64), portable, multi-platform, fast compilation, powerful... with an easy and modern BASIC programming language, and incredibly, a lifetime license!!!
Respect :)

I didn't know that PB has actually been on store shelves at one point.
it would be nice if it could go back there again, also be present in engineering schools rather than Python...

At least for me, I'll always be grateful :)
PureBasic has given me a new taste and pleasure for development, after 25 years on As400 and a burnout.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

ChrisR wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:13 pm PureBasic has given me a new taste and pleasure for development, after 25 years on As400 and a burnout.
Yes, the same feeling — similar background of RPG2 on IBM System 34/36, at the very start of my career, after which one year was enough, then I used the PICK MV Database for over 37 years. Still developing and supporting on PICK now, but PureBasic offers some very compelling reasons to use it and it's hard to "put it down".
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

Oso wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:36 pm What we're using though, in PureBasic, is a language that offers quite a number of C programming concepts and the power that comes with them, but at the same time provides the convenience and productivity of BASIC syntax. I would think therefore PureBasic is much more than a typical BASIC and it really only shares the BASIC name — not the BASIC scope.
What are the "c concepts" from C in PB under your opinion ???
Christos
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

plouf wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm
Oso wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:36 pm What we're using though, in PureBasic, is a language that offers quite a number of C programming concepts and the power that comes with them, but at the same time provides the convenience and productivity of BASIC syntax. I would think therefore PureBasic is much more than a typical BASIC and it really only shares the BASIC name — not the BASIC scope.
What are the "c concepts" from C in PB under your opinion ???
Dealing with memory, pointers, structures, prototypes and interface are similar to 'C', but not the same syntax.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

mk-soft wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 pm
plouf wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:02 pm What are the "c concepts" from C in PB under your opinion ???
Dealing with memory, pointers, structures, prototypes and interface are similar to 'C', but not the same syntax.
Exactly, it's also clear that those who've developed PureBasic have been inspired by C, as we can see it in the way they've implemented features like allocate memory, sizeof() and so on.

The ability to do the following — it feels like C programming whereas in a typical BASIC, we'd be limited to using slow MID() :

Code: Select all

*str= @str 
While *str\u 
  Debug Chr(*str\u)
  *str + SizeOf(Unicode) 
Wend
I was also thinking of the way that C is commonly put to use, even if the C language itself is often limited in scope, such as implementing linked lists https://www.learn-c.org/en/Linked_lists and also maps in C++, very similar to PB https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/c-plu ... h-examples :

first['a']=10;
  first['b']=20;
  first['c']=30;
  first['d']=40;
Possibly PureBasic might even encourage a separate interest in C, I know that's happened in my case. :D
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Oso wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 amPossibly PureBasic might even encourage a separate interest in C
In my case, using PureBasic has definitely taught me to read and understand other people's C code more easily, which is a nice benefit.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Basic is considered a beginner's programming language. I'm naming PureBasic a programming language for those completing their programming. In the sense that you have used all operating systems and tool libraries at least once, but at least once, but programming in C, assembler, etc., but the appearance of PB in your hands makes you lazy. Why remember everything when the valiant Frederic Laboureur and Timo Harter remember it all instead of you.

p.s. I took my first programming exam around this time 45 years ago. And the first program that someone else used but me wrote almost 41 years ago.
Dawn will come inevitably.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I only understood object-oriented programming when I worked with Purebasic with external objects (DCOM, OPC-DA, VB-Script, etc).
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

mk-soft wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:31 pm I only understood object-oriented programming
It's a pity that PB doesn't support it native object-oriented programming...
You have to write a lot of extra code for this and this increases the likelihood of making mistakes.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

User_Russian wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:53 pm It's a pity that PB doesn't support it native object-oriented programming...
You have to write a lot of extra code for this and this increases the likelihood of making mistakes.
OOP

Noun.Verb(params)
PB

Noun::Verb(*data, params)
🙃