Make Application Icon visible with Systray (Windows only)

Share your advanced PureBasic knowledge/code with the community.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Make Application Icon visible with Systray (Windows only)

Post by Oso »

Axolotl wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:50 pm When I run e.g. the help examaple code for AddSysTrayIcon the system creates a new key under HKCU\Control Panel\NotifyIconSettings\
(Unfortunately) with ExecutablePath = "....\AppData\Local\Temp\PureBasic_Compilation0.exe"
Thankfully I don't have that problem, because I happen to be doing my PB development on Windows Server, but deploying the compiled routine to Windows 11 and consequently it has a proper application name.

Anyway, yes, it's working and I've got my icon appearing just nicely. The way that I've programmed this, is that when the application starts, I send the icon to the system tray as a 1-second test. While the icon is displayed, I then promote it in the registry. Since this is a background task which begins when the user logs-in, the 1-second test is useful to ensure that it is working.

Incidentally, what is the relevance of the optional parameter ComputerName.s in the code?
Axolotl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Axolotl »

ComputerName.s is the name of remote machine - omitting defaults to the current machine.
Bear in mind that only HKLM and HKU are available on remote machines.
Mostly running PureBasic <latest stable version and current alpha/beta> (x64) on Windows 11 Home
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

Axolotl wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:15 am ComputerName.s is the name of remote machine - omitting defaults to the current machine.
Bear in mind that only HKLM and HKU are available on remote machines.
Thanks for that Axolotl

I hadn't realised they could be accessed in such a way that referred to another machine — something I've never needed to work with to be honest. I can't help but feel that the Windows registry is something of a juggernaut. As I think you mentioned earlier in the post, if you deleted an application, it doesn't remove reference to it, as far as the icon is concerned.

I remember the Windows NT 4 days, when after installing the new O/S, it prompted the user to take an all important backup of the registry onto a 1.44MB floppy disc but on attempting to do so, finding that it didn't fit onto the disc anyway, so the whole process turned out to be pointless :lol: