Windows Services & Other Stuff

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows Services & Other Stuff

Post by JHPJHP »

Updated:
- added \Other_Stuff\BlurBehindWindow\BlurBehindWindow.pb

Blur Behind Window
Based on a question asked here.

INFORMATION
1. The example demonstrates three effects.
-- Blur Behind Window
-- Acrylic Blur Behind Window
-- Transparent Window (different from other examples because the transparent area is "solid")
2. Does not work on windows with a white background.
3. Sometimes the blur image is not immediately updated (i.e. moving a window lower in the z-order).
Last edited by JHPJHP on Tue May 31, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

The blur looks good! Thanks for adding it your awesome archive of code.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi BarryG,

Thank you for your post and kind words.

---------------------------------

Updated:
- added BlurBehindWindow_1.pb
- renamed BlurBehindWindow.pb to BlurBehindWindow_2.pb
- improved Acrylic Blur transition

BlurBehindWindow_1.pb
The PureBasic Drawing Library can be used, provided images have a 32 bit color depth.

The following PureBasic Gadgets are supported (requires modern theme support from compiler options):
- ImageGadget
- ButtonImageGadget
- ScrollBarGadget
- ProgressBarGadget

- WebGadget

NB: There may be other supported or partially supported Gadgets (i.e. EditorGadget, TrackBarGadget, etc.).

Blur Behind Window
Last edited by JHPJHP on Mon May 30, 2022 2:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Updated:
- improved compatibility with PureBasic Gadgets (BlurBehindWindow_2.pb)

Improved Compatibility
Found a way to modify most of the unsupported Gadgets to work with the blur effect.

Acrylic Blur Behind Window
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Updated:
- added \Other_Stuff\RunExeAsSYSTEM\REaS.pb
- improved Windows Services include file
- various minor improvements to numerous examples
Last edited by JHPJHP on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Just download the archive to get your latest updates and it's like being in a candy store! Love going through it all. Thanks for your continued updates.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi BarryG,

Thank you for your post.
Sometimes the tank is a little empty, but it's the positive comments that adds fuel for a few more good miles.

Because I'm constantly borrowing scripts from my Other Stuff, and a lot of it was written years ago, I'm always testing and improving the code.
Case in point, some of the Windows Services scripts were used for the SYSTEM / Trusted Installer application, and since my previous post numerous updates have occurred with more planned; for the most part these updates will go unreported.

-----------------------------

Updated (REaS.pb):
- combined the include files with only the relevant Procedures
- improved the Truster Installer code
- improved the Service scripts
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I don't mean that I expect new code regularly; but rather I'm grateful that you haven't abandoned your sources and that you keep them updated.

Some feedback: Some examples are not obvious (to me) what they do or what they're for. So a comment at the top with an explanation for every example would be nice.

As an example, "MemoryFolder.pb" - I have no idea what this does? It looks like it shows folder size stats, but so much code and what's memory got to do with it? I think I'm missing the point.

When I run it, here's what I get for a folder I have for VirtualBox. It also says the folder size is too large, and it shows a negative value at the bottom of the message box, which I assume are bugs? There's only one file in that folder, a Win 7 virtual machine. See bottom pic.

JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi BarryG,
BarryG wrote:I don't mean that I expect new code regularly; but rather I'm grateful that you haven't abandoned your sources and that you keep them updated.
I don't think you realize that my post was a complement to you; it was a thank you for posting and providing motivation through acknowledgement.
If anything, I hope more people take note and follow in your footsteps.
BarryG wrote:"MemoryFolder.pb" - I have no idea what this does? It looks like it shows folder size stats, but so much code? I think I'm missing the point.
MemoryFolder will take any folder with a size of 100MB or less, convert it to memory, then compress the memory...

At this point it's up to the user what they want to do with the compressed memory (not included in the script).

... the script will then create a folder called MemoryDump and rebuild all the folders and files from the compressed memory.

NOTE: The negative number you saw was not a bug, but by design. It was reporting the number of bytes over the allowed max folder size.
Last edited by JHPJHP on Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

JHPJHP wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:06 amMemoryFolder will take any folder with a size of 100MB or less, convert it to memory, then compress the memory.
Okay. I had no idea, which is why a short comment (like I just quoted) at the head of all code would be nice.

Thanks for your compliment, too.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi BarryG,
BarryG wrote:Some examples are not obvious (to me) what they do or what they're for. So a comment at the top with an explanation for every example would be nice.
It's a good idea but getting around to implementing it is another thing entirely; I'll think about it.

---------------------------

Updated:
- improved \Other_Stuff\RunExeAsSYSTEM\REaS.pb
- improved Windows Services

Privilege States
Enabled:
- Checked = Privilege Enabled
- Unchecked = Privilege Disabled
- Solid = Privilege Enabled by Default
Disabled = Privilege Not Available to User Account

Verify Privileges from Command Prompt:
1. Type cmd in Application Name; hit the Enter key or press the Run button.
2. Type whoami /all in the Command Prompt window; hit the Enter key.

JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Updated:
- added \Other_Stuff\IconViewLayout\Windows_10.pb, Windows_All.pb

My preference is Windows_10.pb, it uses the IAccessible Interface, but has a couple restrictions...

Windows_10.pb Restrictions
- the example is written for Windows 10 only; might work on earlier versions of Windows, but definitely not Windows 11
- the example looks for keywords so English only; easy enough to modify for all languages, but would require additional code
Last edited by JHPJHP on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Hi, JHPJHP. Finally had a chance to try it (setting the folder view), and it works! Thank you.

Side-note: Despite me using Win 10 Pro, I had to use "Windows_All.pb" instead of "Windows_10.pb" for some reason.
JHPJHP
Addict
Addict

Post by JHPJHP »

Hi BarryG,

As always, thank you for your feedback.
BarryG wrote:Side-note: Despite me using Win 10 Pro, I had to use "Windows_All.pb" instead of "Windows_10.pb" for some reason.
Just to Confirm:
1. The Set View Menu button was first pressed before trying to set icon size.
-- this changes the window's ribbon menu to View
2. Your computers default language is English.

NOTE: The nice thing about this version is that it doesn't matter if the window is minimized or behind other windows.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Hi. My folders don't show the Ribbon (personal pref), so that's why "Windows_10.pb" wasn't working. The user can show or hide the Ribbon in Explorer, so this method probably isn't ideal. Once I enabled the Ribbon and clicked "Set View Menu" first, it worked and changed the icon view, but only after about a 2-second delay. Is the delay normal?

Anyway, since it only works with Win 10, English, needs the Ribbon enabled, and has a delay: I'll skip this method and use "Windows_All.pb" instead. It doesn't have any of these limitations. The only limitation with the "All" version is that I have some hotkeys already set to Shift+Ctrl+0 and Shift+Ctrl+1, so that method doesn't work while my other app with those hotkeys is running. So I'll have to re-think my approach. Thanks for the code anyway, as always!