Mobile internet usage surpasses desktop usage

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Mobile internet usage surpasses desktop usage

Post by Tenaja »

http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usag ... vs-mobile/

Mobile internet usage surpasses desktop usage...

Good argument for arm support. We are, statistically, replacing our leisure pc with phone and tablet. Pc will be more and more for hardcore games (not necessarily where pb shines), work, and elderly.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Re: Mobile internet usage surpasses desktop usage

Post by Keya »

i agree it makes a good argument for an ARM PB, an ARM PB would be sweet! but my concern is that Purebasic is already too big a project for Fred in the sense that we'd all like more bugfixes and features etc than he can realistically handle, and there's already the Spiderbasic project on the side taking away that time from Purebasic, and now Fred has a new wife and family on the way, so I'm guessing he's currently using about 23.5 hours of the day, and having to thoroughly learn the ARM architecture enough to build compilers with it, far out... that's a massive undertaking, and we can't clone Fred until the price of CRISPR comes down, and id guess the PB lifetime license business model doesnt provide much financial support for future dev so I don't think hiring another coder would be an option, if im allowed to speculate and stick my nose into business i know nothing about! :( :) just my 2c before tax
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

I know, and I'm sure I've used those same arguments.

But if he converts to a c translator instead of a asm generator, he can use all libraries anywhere. (And likely gain speed, too, since we'd gain better optimization possibilities.)
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

Tenaja wrote:http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usag ... vs-mobile/

Mobile internet usage surpasses desktop usage...

Good argument for arm support. We are, statistically, replacing our leisure pc with phone and tablet. Pc will be more and more for hardcore games (not necessarily where pb shines), work, and elderly.
Good link, thanks.

An argument against support for mobile computing is that the rate of cancer has gone from under 2% to over 40% since 1900.
Back in 1900 cancer in children was practically unheard of, extremely rare, as in non-existent.
Now it is the second to third leading cause of deaths in children 5-14.
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/LeadingCauses.html
Being surrounded by non-ionizing radiation is not a good thing for organisms.
Keep it BASIC.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

I assume you are being facetious, right?

I would bet sugar is one of the top causes of cancer. Think about it; it causes inflammation and attacks the immune system, as well as cause heart disease. Fifty years ago, eating candy or soda was the exception for special occasions. Now, everybody eats it almost every day, and some people drink about a half a cup of sugar every single lunch. If you scoop 12 spoons of sugar into your coffee, people give you a funny look, but won't think twice when you drink a 12 oz soda. Turns out the sugar industry paid off the health department when they were studying the effects of sugar, and redirected them to complain about fat instead. And yes, I'm a sugar addict. I've been a sugar addict for more years than I care to count.

There are no studies which definitively prove cell phones cause cancer. In fact, studies which hold up to scrutiny show there is no link.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

Tenaja wrote:I assume you are being facetious, right?
Did you ever hear what they say about assume?
I would bet sugar is one of the top causes of cancer. Think about it; it causes inflammation and attacks the immune system, as well as cause heart disease. Fifty years ago, eating candy or soda was the exception for special occasions. Now, everybody eats it almost every day, and some people drink about a half a cup of sugar every single lunch. If you scoop 12 spoons of sugar into your coffee, people give you a funny look, but won't think twice when you drink a 12 oz soda. Turns out the sugar industry paid off the health department when they were studying the effects of sugar, and redirected them to complain about fat instead. And yes, I'm a sugar addict. I've been a sugar addict for more years than I care to count.
And you would lose the bet. Sugar does not cause cancer. But cancer loves sugar and it is the best way to feed it and make it strong.
There are no studies which definitively prove cell phones cause cancer. In fact, studies which hold up to scrutiny show there is no link.
Tenaja, you are totally, absolutely, 100% wrong. And although I don't know you personally, in deep major denial I must add, to even challenge my post.
I'm only trying to help, not hurt readers.

Feel free to continue to ignore anything.
http://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... t-2014.pdf

LONG-TERM EXPOSURE TO MICROWAVE RADIATION PROVOKES CANCER GROWTH: EVIDENCES FROM RADARS AND MOBILE COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS

Wireless wake-up call | Jeromy Johnson | TEDxBerkeley
Keep it BASIC.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Mobile platforms were, are and in nearest future will be useful for useless tasks only (like counting your steps using accelerometer, or doing another stupidity using another extremely stupid "application" ^^).

In all other tasks (starting from some primitive web-crawling bots and ending with much serious soft used in small/average business) PC it seems can't be superseded. I still see any such reasonable program requests in freelance are meant only to be made for desktops.
So that is the first, PC is not only for games, but for anything which just can't be done nicely on mobile. By fact mobiles are still only usable for simplest one-click (or more correct, one-touch) entertainments.

I also didn't saying against all those mobile ShitStores and their policy, etc. You can't just write your app for mobile, and upload it to your site without messing with mobile vendors idiocracy. That's another great difference which works in favor of PC.

And it also looks obvious that those "most web visits" counted, are also entertainment visits ("users wasting time on facebook, or posting another their ass selfie to instagram" and so on).

So, looking at such things I'm not afraid that mobiles really might replace PC. By fact only mobile usage is growing, while PC remains at same level or slighty decreases, because users who were using PC mainly for those "assbook entertainments" are migrating to mobiles.
Me personally still using mobile just to read books, as it is really one and only useful thing which mobile can do better/more reliable than PC or x86-based notebook.

PS. Sorry for "uneven handwriting" in this post, I hope It is still possible to understand what I've tried to say ^^
Anyway, what about PB ARM support itself, I supported that idea time ago and still thinking that it is good way for PB to grow. Which however requires lot of work from PB team and probably investments are needed to hire additional coders.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Hi,

my contribution (experience?),

I use computers for over 30 years. For at least 20 years it is predicted (the computer marketing) that next year, for sure, laptop computer will completely replace 'desktops'. :mrgreen: (20 years...)

But at the same price, mobiles are still twice less powerful (2x-), very breakable.

The good new (2016): almost a year, I see more and more of Minitower/Desktop reappear in stores when they had almost disappeared. (I'm happy)
Like many of us I have a desktop, laptop and tablet(s) and smartphone, but I never develops on the laptop.

There are more and more new uses "read only" and new users have for example never used a spreadsheet to manage their account (they use online banking) so that new users do not see the use of a 22-inch screen.

New users change laptop i.e when video crash: $500, I change video card of my mini tower: $50 ten minutes :)

Maybe I'm too old, but every time I'm on a laptop I feel cramped.

8)
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Mobiles ARE replacing desktops, not just for games either. Just Google to see what the accounting programs there are, for instance. All of those gaining market share work on mobiles. Tablets have made it easy for non techies to use computers...some people use them because they must, not because they want.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Tenaja wrote:Mobiles ARE replacing desktops, not just for games either.
I agree in that mobile devices replace desktops in many fields, but for example typing long texts (or coding for example) is better done with a large screen and with a large keyboard that is not heated by inner electronics. I have tried using notebooks etc., but I always need the screen to be higher. There is no real solution for that, yet. I've got a 15" notebook and my back hurts by using it. Normally the keyboard should be just slightly higher than your legs and the monitor should end at the height of your eyes. A notebook never reaches this.

Btw.: Today I've got also a convertible notebook, and the keyboard is much cooler than with a usual notebook, but still, the palm rest heats much more than with a usual keyboard. I don't understand why, but it is the truth.
bye,
Daniel
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Microsoft ushered in the age of the Tablet PC when it officially dropped RT in favour of devices that run their full-fledged Windows OS. Now Apple is following this concept with the iPad Pro. It's just a matter of time before mobile phones too would be able to run full-blown desktop OS's, ditching their lesser-able cousins for good. Then, the only differences would be form factors.

The concerns over radiation from mobile devices should also be targeted at desktop machines, as most are also equipped with the same wireless connectivity. In today's world, the only way to avoid them would be to get totally off the grid.

Nevertheless, contrary to fallacious claims, there doesn't appear to be any real threat.

National Cancer Institute - Cell Phones and Cancer Risk
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

TI-994A wrote:Microsoft ushered in the age of the Tablet PC when it officially dropped RT in favour of devices that run their full-fledged Windows OS. Now Apple is following this concept with the iPad Pro. It's just a matter of time before mobile phones too would be able to run full-blown desktop OS's, ditching their lesser-able cousins for good. Then, the only differences would be form factors.
I can run arch linux on my google nexus 4 from 2012, an X and VNC server.
TI-994A wrote:The concerns over radiation from mobile devices should also be targeted at desktop machines, as most are also equipped with the same wireless connectivity. In today's world, the only way to avoid them would be to get totally off the grid.
I thought cosmic radiation is far higher than from everyday's electronics?!
bye,
Daniel
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

DarkDragon wrote:
Tenaja wrote:Mobiles ARE replacing desktops, not just for games either.
I agree in that mobile devices replace desktops in many fields, but for example typing long texts (or coding for example) is better done with a large screen and with a large keyboard that is not heated by inner electronics. I have tried using notebooks etc., but I always need the screen to be higher. There is no real solution for that, yet. I've got a 15" notebook and my back hurts by using it. Normally the keyboard should be just slightly higher than your legs and the monitor should end at the height of your eyes. A notebook never reaches this.

Btw.: Today I've got also a convertible notebook, and the keyboard is much cooler than with a usual notebook, but still, the palm rest heats much more than with a usual keyboard. I don't understand why, but it is the truth.
I have used a notebook for the past ten years or so. For the past 7, I've used models with docking stations, so connecting my keyboard, mouse, and 30" monitor is not tedious.

Everybody knows that a full size keyboard is best for large amounts of text. However, nowadays, most new programs run on mobiles before desktops. More and more desktop programs are getting ported to mobiles (especially tablets).

I've been waiting for a good implementation of a stick-sized portable computer that can plug into my monitor (without cable), or a tablet format. They aren't quite there. When I can plug my phone in to use as a desktop, tablet, or phone, then I will be happy. But it has to perform like my laptop.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

DarkDragon wrote:
TI-994A wrote:The concerns over radiation from mobile devices should also be targeted at desktop machines, as most are also equipped with the same wireless connectivity. In today's world, the only way to avoid them would be to get totally off the grid.
I thought cosmic radiation is far higher than from everyday's electronics?!
If one were wise, then one would remove any wi-fi device in a desktop machine, or at the minimum turn it off when not in use.
With the rapid depletion of the protective ozone, cosmic radiation is much higher than it used to be.
However on here the Earth's surface the amount does not compare to that coming from a cellphone held less than the manufacturer recommended 20 centimeter minimum distance from the cranium.
Combine that with the ultra harmful UV-C rays now getting through the atmosphere, makes for a scary time indeed, so why expose your body (and those around you) to extra EMFs?
If one must make an error, IMO it's wiser to make the error on the side of too much protection than too much exposure. But that's just my conservative nature.
Keep it BASIC.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

heartbone wrote:If one must make an error, IMO it's wiser to make the error on the side of too much protection than too much exposure.
Erring on the side of caution is always good, but rationality is better.

EDITS wrote:18th February 2019: updated image link
Last edited by TI-994A on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D