My 3D game project

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

My 3D game project

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I'm taking some to time to write about my 3D game project. I'm making progress but it's very slow because I'm not in the mood of programming. For example, yesterday it took me the entire day to improve the performance about loading a 3D model. The entire day to implement a Binary search and a Quick sort on a linked list, for something that should have taken 20 minutes max. To be honest I don't know why I'm not in the mood of programming. I have nothing else to do since many of us are in lock down due to the Pandemic.

So far the Model Editor for my game project reached the 37 048 lines of code and it is far from complete. My estimate it will reach 50 000 lines of codes before to be ready. After that I will have to work on the Scenario Editor probably another 50 000 lines of codes and the game it's self will probably reach 150 000 lines of code. At least some code will be shared between the Model Editor and the game and between the Scenario Editor and the game. Nevertheless I will have to organize the all the codes to make it to work.

Anyway, maybe I can try to make 3D models instead of programming.

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
dcr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: My 3D game project

Post by dcr3 »

StarBootics:
For example, yesterday it took me the entire day to improve the performance about loading a 3D model. The entire day to implement a Binary search and a Quick sort on a linked list, for something that should have taken 20 minutes max.
StarBootics,I feel for you. Your not the exception.This has happened to me on many occasions. :mrgreen:
I am sure, you and I, are not alone. :)

That fact, that you, managed to reach 37048 lines of code so far, is a credit to you. 8)

keep on plodding along, you will, eventually reach there. :wink:

Keep well. Stay safe. And everyone on the PB Forum. :) :)
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

StarBootics wrote: For example, yesterday it took me the entire day to improve the performance about loading a 3D model. The entire day to implement a Binary search and a Quick sort on a linked list, for something that should have taken 20 minutes max. To be honest I don't know why I'm not in the mood of programming. I have nothing else to do since many of us are in lock down due to the Pandemic.
I wouldn't complain about a whole day. It took me a couple of weeks to make my compressed trie. :lol:
I think a lot of us are finding the lock downs disruptive, just crack open another beer! .
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Not to pile on, but this took me almost a day to solve cause no way did I think SQLite had such a serious bug. :shock:
I was triple checking all my stuff before pointing at SQLite.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

First thanks for the replies, very appreciated. I'm better at programming, today was very productive. I have worked on a "Contact" and a "ContactResolver" system to manage what happen when two "RigidBody" collide.
Tonight I'm taking a break and just relax so tomorrow I will be ready for another productive day.

Best regards
StarBootics
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

StarBootics wrote:I don't know why I'm not in the mood of programming
It's normal. Sometimes I go weeks without coding anything, and I end up just watching YouTube videos or playing games. Sometimes I'll tinker with my code like a kid playing with his food with a fork. After a long while I'll eventually get back into it. But weeks (and sometimes months) is nothing to worry about. You're not a robot and you're in control of your time, so taking an extended break and not coding is no big deal. Contrary to what a lot of "experts" say, you don't have to be productive 24/7, and procrastination is nothing to be ashamed of or worried about.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

First I want to thanks everyone for the great replies. I had to take a break and re-think the architecture of my engine. Defining a game engine is a very hard things to do especially when new ideas come to mind.

I also think I should take time to write down a document describing every things in details before going any further. I have started to realize by doing that, it will pay off in the long terms.

So no more coding for now.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Almost one month later and I have made great progress. The model editor is almost ready to save simple game loadable models. I have spent the last two days figuring out a bug and I have finally figure it out and I solve it today. As the lines count goes :
  • 41 502 lines for the Model Editor.
    36 354 lines for the game it's self and does nothing for the moment beside opening a Windowed screen.
    983 lines for the Scenario editor
In the next coming days I will take a break of programming and focus on making 3D models for the game. After that I will start on the Scenario Editor for real, I have made a skeleton program already for it. But still have to choose between using the CanvasGadget() or the OpenGLGadget() for the map representation.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I have spent 5 days to make a text rendering system to work. This aspect include the bitmap font texture atlas generation program (5470 lines of code) and the update of the ColorPreview Gadget and the Color Spectrum Requester. I have also worked on a Mouse ray calculation system, a Frame Buffer Object to render on texture instead of the screen. Soon I will be able to apply FXAA and other post processing effects on the rendered scene.

I will take couple of days off because I feel little bit burned out. Plus I need to get a new refrigerator because mine decided to stop working properly after 17 years of service. Apparently, I will have delivery delay of about 3 weeks for it.

Best regards
StarBootics
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

StarBootics wrote:Plus I need to get a new refrigerator because mine decided to stop working properly after 17 years of service.
RIP Star's fridge. :cry: 17 years of faithful service is something to be commended!
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

About the fridge, I will receive the new one on Saturday. It's a relief that I will not need to wait 3 weeks to get it.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

After the Fridge, it's my computer monitor to die after many years of service. My sister given me a smaller 20" one she didn't use anymore while I'm considering to buy two 21.5" screens and a special stand to support them or going with a single 24" or 27" screen.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I was finally be able to make the FXAA filter to work properly. This mean I'm also able to do post processing at will. The next step about the rendering engine is the shadows rendering and this will not be an easy one.

I will keep you posted.

Best regards
StarBootics
Olli
Addict
Addict

Post by Olli »

On my side, a unknown bot fired my profile far away. My old password key felt in da snow...
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Another step done but far from completed, the cockpit view.

I still need to add and program the cockpit instruments such as Front and Back radar screens, the CMD, MFDs and other stuff.

Best regards
StarBootics
Last edited by StarBootics on Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.