Improve Speed of Folding?

Working on new editor enhancements?
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Improve Speed of Folding?

Post by HeX0R »

Since quite a while my IDE starts up really slow.
It will open up a bigger project at start-up (11 sources, maybe 25000 lines of code alltogether), so I expected a little delay before I can start.

But it took 30(!) seconds, until I was able to enter my first character.
That felt not right.

I had a litte time today and did some researching.
Whatever I disabled (auto correction, session history, all external tools, folder observation, auto update, ....), I always ended-up with 30s!
Antivir was also disabled while testing.
I finally came to the folding functionality, I didn't expect that from helping much but disabled it anyway.
From then on the IDE was ready to go within 10 seconds!
That is acceptable, but I really like that folding feature and can hardly live without it.

Any idea why this folding feature is slowing down anything, isn't it an inbuild feature of Scintilla? Could it be improved somehow?

I know the IDE is open source now, but I typically only work on Windows and I would have to install just too many unneccessary things to get that beast compiled.

btw.:
I don't know if folding is slowing down anything in Linux or MacOS as well.
PeDe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Improve Speed of Folding?

Post by PeDe »

Here I have a project with 36 open files and 80,000 lines. Without folding the loading takes 24 seconds, with folding 38 seconds. The PC has a slow Celeron J1900 CPU with 1.3 GHz. But I don't use the folding, it confuses me.

Windows 7 x64 / PB 5.73b2 x86
Josh
Addict
Addict

Post by Josh »

Here I need for a project with 10 files and 35000 lines 4-5 seconds. And this on a slow machine.
sorry for my bad english
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

I don't think it depends on the raw amount of lines, but more on the amount of folding points.
There might be some more in my case, I usually add custom folding points, which you both probably don't use.

Anyway, I didn't want to start a performance comparison now, I only asked if there is a chance to speed-up the folding functionality in future.
Josh
Addict
Addict

Post by Josh »

I have about 500 folds, but I do not have any embedded folds, as they occur in modules. Maybe the IDE does not like these.
sorry for my bad english