Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Linux specific forum
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Official Linux distribution for PureBasic

Post by Joubarbe »

Look at what Windows has become while trying to keep both systems. Their file system is a total mess. Switch to 64b, even if that costs retro compatibility problems. PB should adapt more to current standards, and Linux standards is without any doubts 64b.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Shardik wrote:
NicTheQuick wrote:So, then only 2.85% are using an Intel based 32 Bit version and 95.88% are using an Intel based 64 Bit version.
That's correct. But 32 bit versions are the second largest fraction. Would you propose that Linux should drop ARM support which is only 0.86% for aarch64 and even all ARM architectures combined with 1.28% are well below the 2.85% of Intel 32 bit...

We are not talking about what Linux should or should not support. By the way, as you know there are dozens of different Linux distributions, and e.g. Ubuntu is funded by Mark Shuttleworth, who is a multimillionaire. We are talking here about PureBasic, and unfortunately Fred ( very probably :-) ) is not a multimillionaire, and the Fantaisie Software team is pretty small, and has limited capacity.

Provided, building the 32-bit Linux version of PB and building the 64-bit version of PB require the same amount of work, then building both versions would mean: 50% of the work serves 95.88% of the customers, and the other 50% of the work serves 2.85% of the customers. For a small team with limited capacity, it's obvious that dropping support for the 2.85% would be a good idea in order to work much more efficiently.
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

Since it has become more difficult to find 32bit versions of Linux I switched to 64bit several years ago so I have no problem with a 64bit only version of Purebasic on Linux. I mostly use OpenSuse and some Ubuntu.

It would be helpful if the Checkinstall.sh did not report missing dependencies when the required dependencies no longer exist.

As a side note I still require 32bit on the Windows platform because of integration with many 32bit Windows applications.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

I always use Linux Mint Mate.
IT works without problems and immediately.
But no 32 bit versions.
地球上の平和
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-web-remix/19394
If we add wine to the anbox, we will be able to develop and test the desktop lin,win(pb) and web,android(sb) in one system. :D
Dawn will come inevitably.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Thank you all for your feedback. I think we will procede as following:

- Build PB Linux x64 on 2 lastest Ubuntu LTS release. This will become the official supported OS for x64 PB.
- Build PB Linux x86 on lastest debian 32-bit (if it works).

It will add 1 build overall in our build procedure, which should be manageable. I'm sensible to the fact than old computers could get a new life using a modern linux system like debian and if PB could run on it it would be cool.
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joubarbe »

Why not Debian x64 then?
Denis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Denis »

Joubarbe wrote:Why not Debian x64 then?
I agree with you Joubarbe.
A+
Denis
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Fred wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. I think we will procede as following:

- Build PB Linux x64 on 2 lastest Ubuntu LTS release. This will become the official supported OS for x64 PB.

It will add 1 build overall in our build procedure, which should be manageable. I'm sensible to the fact than old computers could get a new life using a modern linux system like debian and if PB could run on it it would be cool.
!!!!!!
If x86(32bit) to save the old hardware, I would be happy if debian 9 was chosen. And let this version live until the end of extended support for platform 9.
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS June 30, 2022
p.s. And in my opinion only gtk2 is enough for this case.
Dawn will come inevitably.
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joubarbe »

x64 for latest Ubuntu.
x64 for latest Debian.
Period. This is 2020. If you need an old version of PB, then use an old version of PB. Or refactor.

What’s the point of having LTS versions if the latest version are not even up to latest standards? If you want support for older technologies, stay with the versions that were made in the time when support of these technologies were provided.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

+1 for Debian :)
Moreover Ubuntu and Mint and many others being based on Debian as much if it works on the latter then it will work on all of them.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I think building on ubuntu will make it work on debian as well.
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joubarbe »

Fred wrote:I think building on ubuntu will make it work on debian as well.
Don't you think it's the contrary, like Marc56us said?
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Fred wrote:- Build PB Linux x64 on 2 lastest Ubuntu LTS release. This will become the official supported OS for x64 PB.

This sounds like a very reasonable choice to me! Gives a very good chance of compatibility with a wide range of distros.

I can understand wishing to use Ubuntu or some other Debian-derived system rather than Debian X64 itself. From my very brief look at Debian - it's good but does takes a little bit more effort to run day-to-day (fine if you have time and knowledge). Whereas derived distros are helped by more convenient tools and in some cases smoother DE integration. IMHO building on Ubuntu will also be fine to run on Debian (and others). The distro I use most, MX Linux and its predecessor Mepis, always stays very close to its Debian Stable base and every PureBasic version since 4.40 has installed without any trouble.

I think the latest Debian Stable - currently 10 'Buster' will give a 32-bit option that can still run on old hardware. Distros such as AntiX already use it and have a designed aim to work on old hardware (even PII with 256Mb RAM). AntiX is closely related to MX which makes my 2006 Lenovo X60 run like a modern laptop (PureBasic 5.73b4 works great!).
Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joubarbe »

https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktop ... stall.html

It looks that Ubuntu perfectly manages .deb installer packages. Would be cool to have a good installer that manage dependencies, add a nice shortcut and such :)