EditorFactory - Module for object management in a Canvas

Share your advanced PureBasic knowledge/code with the community.
STARGÅTE
Addict
Addict

Re: EditorFactory - Module for object management in a Canvas

Post by STARGÅTE »

superadnim wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:58 pm Any chance of adding load and save functions?
What exactly do you mean?
Load and save all objects in a given canvas gadget, while all properties (position, style, callbacks) are stored in the file?
Perhaps, this would work for static properties like the position, size or style, but not for all the dynamic properties like the callbacks.
Further, the question is, what storage format do we use? Simple XML or JSON or binary?

In principle you can now use ExamineObjects() to go through all objects and save them in your desired format.
All properties can be received using the GetObject<*>() functions.

So, "Any chance of adding load and save functions?", yes, if you tell me more about the features.
PB 6.01 ― Win 10, 21H2 ― Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB ― NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ― Vivaldi 6.0 ― www.unionbytes.de
Lizard - Script language for symbolic calculations and moreTypeface - Sprite-based font include/module
superadnim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by superadnim »

Hello!

Either format could be natively implemented if there is a way to use InsertJSONStructure / InsertXMLStructure otherwise I would steer toward JSON these days over XML. After all they are just settings / static data.

Yes every position / dimension / property of every object could be saved and loaded.
I could see how this would be a useful feature for editors.

:lol: should I bash the keyboard and give up?
:?
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Hello everyone, some news.
I have no news from our friend Stargate.
He doesn't talk to me anymore, no news from him.
I still agree with the project.

For the loading and recording function, it is possible to do it yourself already as Stargate said so well, but a function could be created for that.

For the license, I'm the problem, and yes I'm very reluctant that people face money on the back of others, it's not fair I think!

"Here I give you this great module for free, sell it!"
Stargate for whom I have, it must be said even if he does not speak to me, the greatest respect, I thank him infinitely for his help, he does not care about the license, he would give everything for free as he is so kind.

I have always been hated everywhere, and I should always give everything for free and without asking for anything, not even a thank you or an acknowledgement.
I've already done that for all my projects, and what did I get? nothing!

I don't play the calimero here, I don't care what people think!

After that, if that's the solution for the project to move forward, and for Stargate to stick to it, then ok, that will be the price to pay for my person, but I don't agree with that!

I'm not attracted by money, I'm just tired of giving something for nothing in return and in life when it's free, you're the sucker.

I'm the one who initiated this project, the biggest credit goes to Stargate and I have no problem with that, it's because of his generosity,
I admire this person!

I am open to proposals and discussions.
I've been killing myself trying to explain the concept, but I couldn't make myself understood, the name of the module was wrong and it's my fault because I chose the name.

But I would prefer a name like: Visual Object Handlers.

For me this project is fantastic, with already a lot of possibilities.
It's a pity that it can't be improved :(

Once again, my thanks to Stargate.
I am French, I do not speak English.
My apologies for the mistakes.

I have sometimes problems of expression
I am sometimes quite clumsy, please excuse me and let me know.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Maybe the GPL v3 free license can meet your need to ensures you still get credit, look at: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IWantCredit
It is better to open it with a more permissive license, otherwise it has little chance to be used, which is not good for anyone and you first.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

ShadowStorm wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:22 pm For the license, I'm the problem, and yes I'm very reluctant that people face money on the back of others, it's not fair I think!
"Here I give you this great module for free, sell it!"
Mmm... When I suggested dual licensing I was implying the commercial version would have a fee attached.
Sorry if I didn't spell it out clearly enough.
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Hi, um, and do you think people will really pay?
And if so, how much, 5€, 10€?

Already free they don't want it, so paying ^^
Ah, that's because they can't use it in their paid program.

And even if I did, if it's for 2, 3 people, is it worth it?

What a boring guy (me), right?

My goal is to grow this module, not to make money with it, and not to make money off of us either!

The debate is still open, so come and discuss :)

the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

ShadowStorm wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:52 pm Hi, um, and do you think people will really pay?
And if so, how much, 5€, 10€?
How else do you get out of your current impasse? You want people to use the module but you're the one putting on the limitation that reduces interest. Put a price on it and see how it goes.

@STARGÅTE
Nice work 👍️
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Already it would be necessary that people come to discuss, which they do not even do, the debate is open but nobody comes to say anything.

It would be nice if Stargate would come and say something, he doesn't say anything anymore, he plays dead!

He doesn't talk to me, I don't know what's going on with him, he refuses to talk to me, and I don't like that at all, it's not nice to do that.

I think he is disgusted, but of what?
He doesn't say anything, I'll end up believing that he has a grudge against me!
Let him come and talk here!

Joubarbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Joubarbe »

Every single message you recently posted is about complaining about people, the project, yourself or Stargate. If you think that's ok and that motivates people to talk to you, you're wrong. PB is a niche programming language, with people working on libraries that mostly can be used for free; otherwise they invest time and effort to present their work in a coherent professional way that customers can understand, like ProGUI for instance. Your project is mainly developed by Stargate, as far as I understand; he's an efficient passionate programmer who understands that PB is a good language that needs people to keep it alive. You said you don't want money, but yes, you do; otherwise it would already be under a permissive license. So either charge people, or don't. If you want to make real money, you should develop libraries on other platforms or languages, as PB will not be the way to gain a reasonable amount of money. So what do you get from developing libraries for people for free, you might ask? Well, the satisfaction of helping people in their projects, and making them happy by providing useful tools. Yeah, just that. It's up to you if you want your projects to be used by no one, or if you want your work to be rewarding (that reward is not money). Your problems with Stargate are a private matter and shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. It's "not nice" either to bring your grudge on a public space.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Joubarbe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am Every single message you recently posted is about complaining about people, the project, yourself or Stargate. If you think that's ok and that motivates people to talk to you, you're wrong. PB is a niche programming language, with people working on libraries that mostly can be used for free; otherwise they invest time and effort to present their work in a coherent professional way that customers can understand, like ProGUI for instance. Your project is mainly developed by Stargate, as far as I understand; he's an efficient passionate programmer who understands that PB is a good language that needs people to keep it alive. You said you don't want money, but yes, you do; otherwise it would already be under a permissive license. So either charge people, or don't. If you want to make real money, you should develop libraries on other platforms or languages, as PB will not be the way to gain a reasonable amount of money. So what do you get from developing libraries for people for free, you might ask? Well, the satisfaction of helping people in their projects, and making them happy by providing useful tools. Yeah, just that. It's up to you if you want your projects to be used by no one, or if you want your work to be rewarding (that reward is not money). Your problems with Stargate are a private matter and shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. It's "not nice" either to bring your grudge on a public space.
+1
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Well, no matter what I do, there's always a problem somewhere, it's really annoying in the end.

And no, you're wrong, I'm telling you that I'm not interested in money here, read my post again.

And for Stargate, I just explain my misunderstanding, that's all.
But curiously you forgot all the praise I gave him!

And I've already developed free modules and software, and no one cared, always being criticized, do you think it makes you happy?

skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Please just make an app derived from this wonderful lib. :idea:
Then put it on the Announcements page and explain how easy it was to create using your lib.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Mindphazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mindphazer »

Joubarbe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am Every single message you recently posted is about complaining about people, the project, yourself or Stargate. If you think that's ok and that motivates people to talk to you, you're wrong. PB is a niche programming language, with people working on libraries that mostly can be used for free; otherwise they invest time and effort to present their work in a coherent professional way that customers can understand, like ProGUI for instance. Your project is mainly developed by Stargate, as far as I understand; he's an efficient passionate programmer who understands that PB is a good language that needs people to keep it alive. You said you don't want money, but yes, you do; otherwise it would already be under a permissive license. So either charge people, or don't. If you want to make real money, you should develop libraries on other platforms or languages, as PB will not be the way to gain a reasonable amount of money. So what do you get from developing libraries for people for free, you might ask? Well, the satisfaction of helping people in their projects, and making them happy by providing useful tools. Yeah, just that. It's up to you if you want your projects to be used by no one, or if you want your work to be rewarding (that reward is not money). Your problems with Stargate are a private matter and shouldn't be discussed on a public forum. It's "not nice" either to bring your grudge on a public space.
+1
MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro - 16 Gb - MacOS 14 - Iphone 15 Pro Max - iPad at home
...and unfortunately... Windows at work...
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

skywalk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:42 pm Please just make an app derived from this wonderful lib. :idea:
Then put it on the Announcements page and explain how easy it was to create using your lib.
That's an interesting idea, thanks for the idea.

---------

For all the others, we all know, Shadow is a big jerk who is useless and who makes everyone piss off, that's all :)

Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

Joubarbe wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am Every single message you recently posted is about...
+1
skywalk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:42 pm Please just make an app derived from this wonderful lib. :idea:
+1