PureBasic 6.00 released !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Lebostein
Addict
Addict

Re: PureBasic 6.00 Beta 8 released !

Post by Lebostein »

Is there a link to re-download beta 6 and 7?
Beta 8 is (at the moment) no option for me. To many complications with the new implementation of the ListIconGadget on MacOS...
Because there were so few setting options via PureBasic (no colors, no alignment settings, no header settings) I built up a large arsenal of API calls, all of which don't work now. :cry:
I wonder why such profound changes are not list in the "changes and improvements" list...
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

First, the good news: the ASM backend for beta 8 works great with my app with no issues to report. Yay!

Now the bad news: for both beta 7 and 8, the compiler hangs on "Creating executable" for the C backend forever. The Task Manager shows a process called "cc1.exe" using 25% CPU during this time. I end up having to kill this process, otherwise the compilation doesn't finish (well, I waited for 5 minutes before giving up).

I'm on Win 10 Pro (64-bit) using PureBasic 6.00 beta 8 (64-bit) at the moment.

One time when I killed the "cc1.exe" process, PureBasic showed me this error, if that somehow helps?

Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Thanks Fred,
I had not seen this new option in the general preferences. "Use Compiler"

Code: Select all

Preferences > Compiler > Defaults > [X] Use Compiler <version>
It's nice not to have to specify the compiler for new projects (I often forgot to switch to Backend C now that I try to do all my projects with it).
:P
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DeanH »

Same thing happens to me like BarryG with v6b8. As I reported previously, compiling ASM takes seconds but with the C-backend it takes over 3 minutes for one large program with 2.8Mb of source code including all include files. It does eventually compile. If I stop it with task manager, I see a similar error popup. I have tried removing sections and found that just reduces the time to compile. I have not found a specific type of code that causes the long compile time. As indicated previously, compiling with Beta 1 takes 30 seconds.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Paul wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 pm
Fred wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:30 pm Beta 8 is out, with some more changes and improvements:

- Removed ToolBarStandardButton() as it doesn't support high DPI and is very bad looking
So will there be a replacement for this or will PureBasic 6 not be backward compatible in this area?
It won't be replacement for this command, but we added all the default icons in the Examples/Data/ToolBar drawers, so you can use them as replacement if you were still using it.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

DeanH wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:26 am Same thing happens to me like BarryG with v6b8. As I reported previously, compiling ASM takes seconds but with the C-backend it takes over 3 minutes for one large program with 2.8Mb of source code including all include files. It does eventually compile. If I stop it with task manager, I see a similar error popup. I have tried removing sections and found that just reduces the time to compile. I have not found a specific type of code that causes the long compile time. As indicated previously, compiling with Beta 1 takes 30 seconds.
May be it's the add of the 'volatile' keyword everywhere which makes it a lot longer, I will do some test here to see if it has some impact.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

Since changed to C backend everytime I compile a source, the time is far longer tha ASM backend. I was supposed that was normal :?
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Fred wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:13 am
Paul wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 pm
Fred wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:30 pm Beta 8 is out, with some more changes and improvements:

- Removed ToolBarStandardButton() as it doesn't support high DPI and is very bad looking
So will there be a replacement for this or will PureBasic 6 not be backward compatible in this area?
It won't be replacement for this command, but we added all the default icons in the Examples/Data/ToolBar drawers, so you can use them as replacement if you were still using it.
Update Module ToolBarStandard
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

@Barry6 : I have similar issues, so I tried to track it down.

; build.pb
param$=#DQUOTE$+"ReportComplete.pb"+#DQUOTE$
param$+" /OUTPUT "+#DQUOTE$+"ReportComplete.exe"+#DQUOTE$
param$+" /ICON "+#DQUOTE$+"images\liveicon.ico"+#DQUOTE$
param$+" /OPTIMIZER"
param$+" /XP"
param$+" /USER"
param$+" /THREAD"
param$+" /COMMENTED" ;remove this line and it does the same as the editor (takes ages, lots of errors)

compiler$="C:\Program Files (x86)\PureBasic\Compilers\pbcompilerc.exe"
building=RunProgram(compiler$,param$,"",#PB_Program_Open|#PB_Program_Read)
out$=""
If building
	OpenConsole()
	ConsoleTitle ("Building ReportComplete:")

While ProgramRunning(building)
		If AvailableProgramOutput(building)
			PrintN(ReadProgramString(building))
		EndIf
	Wend
	PrintN("")
	PrintN("Exitcode: "+Str(ProgramExitCode(building)))
	CloseProgram(building)
	CloseConsole()
EndIf
I created this code that can be made into an console executable to compile my program correctly. Using it, my code will compile fairly quickly and 100% of the time if the /COMMENTED flag was used, it would take forever and mess up without it.

Maybe this is a clue as to where there may be a bug?
Last edited by DoubleDutch on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Hi DoubleDutch,
Can you clarify your statement on /COMMENTED?
I am confused.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... piler.html

-c, --commented, /COMMENTED: creates a commented '.asm' output file when creating an executable. This file can be re-assembled later when the needed modifications have been made. This option is for advanced programmers only.
Dawn will come inevitably.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Yes, I have read the manual. What I am asking is how DoubleDutch got a working exe with comments OFF. Or did I misunderstand his words?

We need comments ON to find errors posted in the dialog boxes that refer to a commented purebasic.c.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

Update DisplayCCode with full compiler output
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

I mean if you include /COMMENTED then the compile works and the executable is generated, without that parameter and the executable does not get generated and the compiler outputs loads of odd errors.

(I've edited "comment" in the code to make it clearer what I meant, sorry)
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Got it. That is what I am seeing also. The IDE C compiles are not stable.
The cmd line compiles complete but I must use relative paths for icon, resource files.