PureBasic 6.00 released !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
juergenkulow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic 6.00 Alpha 5 released !

Post by juergenkulow »

@User_Russian,
do you have examples how /SSE2, /SSE, /3DNOW, /MMX, /DYNAMICCPU can generate better results throught pbcompilerc gcc?
Cyllceaux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Cyllceaux »

Are there any plans for the next Alpha (6) release? There are some fixes, I need to get my project to the next steps.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

juergenkulow wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:32 am @User_Russian,
do you have examples how /SSE2, /SSE, /3DNOW, /MMX, /DYNAMICCPU can generate better results throught pbcompilerc gcc?
You can only leave SSE2 there since every processor released the last (almost) 2 decades support it (and it surpasses the other extensions).
There are indeed more newer extensions available. I'm pretty sure the C compiler has support for it, unlike PB. That dropdown has been there since 2003 and does nothing at all. Just looking fancy I guess... unused. You would think PB asm can apply it to some mathematics, but no. Too much trouble it seems. But seriously, you could just assume SSE2 since that is available everywhere on Intel and AMD. It's even required for Windows 8+...
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

The long interruptions between messages from Fred and Co. are heartbreaking. Please report a little more frequently on development progress.
Dawn will come inevitably.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

useful wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:20 am The long interruptions between messages from Fred and Co. are heartbreaking. Please report a little more frequently on development progress.
No, when he's quiet before a release it means he's focusing, improving the compiler.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

...or on an unapproved holiday...
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

BERESHEIT
loulou2522
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loulou2522 »

Wouldn't this version of Purebasic be a farce because of the long delays?
Moreover, the delays in the evolution of SPIDERBasic are getting longer and longer, making this product a dead product. Thanks to Fred for answering this point because apparently every time he is asked about this subject he either ignores it or does not answer. The question is: Does he want to continue the development of SPIDERBasic
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

No farce.
BERESHEIT
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

loulou2522 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 pm Wouldn't this version of Purebasic be a farce because of the long delays?
Moreover, the delays in the evolution of SPIDERBasic are getting longer and longer, making this product a dead product. Thanks to Fred for answering this point because apparently every time he is asked about this subject he either ignores it or does not answer. The question is: Does he want to continue the development of SPIDERBasic
You can download and test the Alpha versions of this--numerous alpha versions by now--and you can read the C output yourself. How could a sane person call that a farce? Every software dev knows fundamental shifts take significantly longer than incremental updates.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Tenaja wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:34 pm
loulou2522 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 pm Wouldn't this version of Purebasic be a farce because of the long delays?
You can download and test the Alpha versions of this--numerous alpha versions by now--and you can read the C output yourself. How could a sane person call that a farce? Every software dev knows fundamental shifts take significantly longer than incremental updates.
He mentioned SPIDERbasic (Which has a yearly license with no mentionable updates released during that same year).

Anyway incremental updates grinded to a halt too. I already suggested to delegate tasks to other qualified individuals. Advise: you should not do it all alone. Product will suffer eventually. Some would want to do it voluntarily if they know their input is used. Anyway, of course v6 will arrive eventually, but it doesn't seem to have any practical improvements to language (syntax!) or libraries, except additional M1 support using the same old things on top. And since feature parity was mentioned, I don't expect any of those other improvements to arrive anytime. It's mentioned multiple times by somewhat disillusioned long timers that the feature request forum does not get love anymore for too many years. Then again, I stil use PB for low level tools and it has its charm and is a compact dev environment. Still, I frequently wonder why I have to do some things so awkward or simply are missing for no good reason, even compared to some other old time languages. Indeed, very little communication. Just look at the blog. Only recently for v6 a few short posts where added out of nowhere (thank you) while its purpose was many full moons ago to share updates frequently. It doesn't even allow comments. Again, one way. Enough ramblings. Lets see whats next.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

netmaestro wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:37 pm Image
I still have no doubt that the dawn will come inevitably. But I have been on the operating table with cardiologists, and I doubt that it (the dawn) will happen for me. :D :D :D
Dawn will come inevitably.
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

Rinzwind wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:56 amAnyway, of course v6 will arrive eventually, but it doesn't seem to have any practical improvements to language (syntax!) or libraries, except additional M1 support using the same old things on top.
Not only OS X M1. Fred wrote about support Raspberry Pi. https://www.purebasic.fr/blog/?p=508
For me, this is very important and I am very waiting PB for Raspberry Pi.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Not just new platforms, but with the c output, programs can be significantly faster. (Of you wait for the longer optimized compile time.)

Plus, imagine the simplicity of adding C libraries without compiling them separate--we won't need Fred to add new features... Just download it yourself.
Psychophanta
Addict
Addict

Post by Psychophanta »

:lol:
netmaestro wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:37 pm Image
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

While world=business:world+mafia:Wend
Will never leave this forum until the absolute bugfree PB :mrgreen: