how use lastest version on any Linux distro ?

Linux specific forum
skinkairewalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how use lastest version on any Linux distro ?

Post by skinkairewalker »

hello everyone !
I'm having a hard time getting the purebasic IDE to work on the latest versions of several distros ( ubuntu, mint, manjaro, arch linux, and others )
Does anyone know a way to share the dependencies and put them inside the folder to avoid the incompatibility in some distros?

// Not a bug! Moved from "Bug Reports / Bugs - Linux" to "OS Specific / Linux" (Kiffi)
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: how use lastest version on any Linux distro ?

Post by mk-soft »

The last fully supported version is Ubuntu v18.04 with all components.

For me, the IDE runs under Ubuntu v21.04 without problems.
Restrictions for programs are the libraries Webkit (Webgadget) and Dialog (XML). These no longer work because the WebKit libraries that are needed no longer exist.

Link: Simple install of Purebasic (Ubuntu, Mint)
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

I am running on Manjaro, what is the exact issue you are having? Generally I think the only thing I have to install is the webkit libraries.

These are the ones I have installed, not sure which I installed and which other apps installed, but you can try:

extra/webkit2gtk
extra/qt5-webkit
aur/webkitgtk-bin
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

mk-soft wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:09 pmFor me, the IDE runs under Ubuntu v21.04 without problems.
Restrictions for programs are the libraries Webkit (Webgadget) and Dialog (XML). These no longer work because the WebKit libraries that are needed no longer exist.

Link: Simple install of Purebasic (Ubuntu, Mint)
The guide at the above link is invaluable for any Debian based distro :)

PB 5.73LTS works excellently on my MX Linux systems - both 64-bit and 32-bit. As described above - Webkit is no longer available on the more recent releases, same as other distros, though worked fine up to version 18. MX Linux is my personal favourite and PB always installed without trouble (everyone can have their own favourite of course!). The IDE runs well even on old, slow hardware.