Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Re: Would be good if PureBasic change is name?

Post by Tenaja »

Or maybe Pure Pro Compiler...now that it has C output...
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Caronte3D wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:20 pm I think one of the best names would be:
PURE
Not a very unique term for Googling though :mrgreen:
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

I'm not sure that changing the name can have a real impact, but maybe still a bit if there is some communication that goes with it.
In the "Pure" series, we could also have PureBasicC, PureCbasic, PurePower, PurePowerBasic or PureFantaisie (he made me smile that one :D ) or just PURE
Last edited by ChrisR on Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

True. When you mention pure"Basic" argggh people just dont want to know! Instance my daughters partner whom is from and lives in denmark has a Masters in Game Dev, 34 years old and when we 1st met him and I mention pureBasic the look on his face was superlative :o :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: he shrugged it off politely and that was the end of that topic of conversation. On my daughter return visit from Denmark she said he propably thought it some type of kiddy-script programming language. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: so how about - "Superlative-C", "Akin-C","Sim2C"

I suppose the moral of that tale is a bit like "Omicron" - anagram of "Moronic" some people just cant see past the end of there nose because of the facemask!

"No Offence to anyone just my humble opinion as an analogy" :lol:
malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

How about Visual C-BASIC-Script#++? Then everyone can complain aboout the name.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

perfect = "Painless-C"
malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I doubt Fred will change the name anyway. It's been discussed before and he said no, because at the end of the day it's still BASIC, despite the modern additions of structures and so on. Plus he said people find the product by specifically searching for a BASIC language, so he's not going to lose such potential users by renaming it.

Here's what Fred said -> https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewto ... 31#p518031

And that entire topic is literally just the same thing as this one.
kenmo
Addict
Addict

Post by kenmo »

Whenever this topic comes up, some people suggest "Pure", despite there being a language named Pure since 2008 :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_(pro ... _language)
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

I'll be damned and blasted. Even an older bloke like me could follow that c code when listed side by side with the corresponding pb code.

May help me with my journey into the arduino world:):)
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

BarryG wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:18 am ...because at the end of the day it's still BASIC, despite the modern additions of structures and so on.
Well, this is debatable... :P

When I found PureBasic over 20 years ago (coming from a GWBasic/Pascal/Delphi background)
I thought of PB as the child of Mr Basic and Ms Pascal... :D

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

This is psychological reasoning. If you are doing the right thing, then why do you need someone else's opinion about you, is your opinion about yourself less accurate than another person who knows nothing about you?
You will always lose if you ask someone else's opinion. Have you ever thought that someone else's opinion can be used against you, scammers do exactly that, imposing on you that you are not complete or that your program is weak and should be sold cheaper.
If you are a smart person, then people will want to dress like you and ask what programs you use.
If it seemed to you that a person does not understand the complexity of the programming language you are using or is trying to downplay your knowledge, then just ask "how many programs have you written", I think the person's legs will immediately shake at this question. Well, then we can talk about the details.
Well, if you want to put yourself above others, then you are on the other side and anything can happen to you.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

AZJIO wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 amwhy do you need someone else's opinion
This is more about companies not hiring you because you only have PureBasic on your resume, and not something "respected" like C/C++. In these situations, someone else's opinion matters very much and can stop you getting a job.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

because you only have PureBasic on your resume, and not something "respected" like C/C++
If the company requires knowledge of C/C++, then probably you should learn the language that is required. Otherwise, how will you fix and refine the code written in C++
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I mean more like freelance/contractor work where they just want a coder to do a task, without specifying a language in the ad. They might balk at BASIC and not want you, as Caronte3D said happens to them:
Caronte3D wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pmMany times I even have to write an entire code, just to demonstrate to a client that I can do it with PureBasic without problems and thus get the job.
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

If you write code for the sake of one person, you will spend a lot of time. The client must calculate what economic benefits your program will bring, that is, your program must constantly bring profit to the client. The client will want the economic benefit to go into his pocket, and not into yours, which means he will try to reduce the price, not taking into account that you have been studying programming for several years, have been creating parts of the code for years that you will embed in your program. The client will want to pay you as if you had been writing a program for 3 days at a price as if you had been sweeping the yard for 3 days. Naturally, you may not agree on the price. And it doesn't matter what the programming language is called. If you give the source code, then the price should be even higher. Here it is already important whether anyone can modify your program, then the programming language is important.
It is more profitable to write a program that in itself will be interesting to customers and they will be willing to pay, then you can reduce the price by 1000 times if you can sell it to 1000 customers. And if a million?
I come to the conclusion that I can earn more when setting up Windows. I write programs to speed up the setup process. There are more customers from this. If 200 clients have a computer that breaks down every half a year, then you will be able to secure a salary every month.
I work - repair of electric locomotives, not related to computers, but I was in a situation when there was no work and money was needed.