A new battery technology ?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Olli
Addict
Addict

A new battery technology ?

Post by Olli »

Being weaponed of an excellent level in english, as you ever could see, I fall onto this clip on YouTube, but it seems that the narrator does such mistakes in english that I have lots of difficulties to understand...

I let you see, and, maybe give a remark :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVOFydscAo
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Re: A new battery technology ?

Post by the.weavster »

As I understand it these batteries produce a very small amount of energy, for example in order to power a smartphone you'd need a battery the size of a tub of margarine.

These are only really useful for widgets like pacemakers or IoT sensors not smartphones or EVs.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

...another weekly battery breakthrough which will be forgotten within a few days and never come to life.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Olli
Addict
Addict

Post by Olli »

@the.weavster

thank you for these details. I prefer such a comparison (margarine tube volume, or weight or cost) than nothing else a spectacular movie. Thank you so

@jacdelad

we do not know about the future. I did not understand the importance of the diamond in this battery technology. But on the past, the strategic and artificial matters were ever more expensensive than the gold. i.e. the teflon.

Carbon has lots of uses in the future, depending of the market. All the batteries we use today had an incredible cost on their starts. I consider you are absolutely right actually. But we could not know the events in the future.

Did you hear about the Lithium/Air technology ? It seems that it gives goog performancies in term of Wh/kg (I think it is 3 times more light than the Li/po technology).

The two criteria are Wh/L (density) and Wh/kg (weight). This can bring the technology to very strange periods (breakthrough in aeronautic or in nautism without reach the automobile parks, etc...)
Joris
Addict
Addict

Post by Joris »

Olli wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 pmI did not understand the importance of the diamond in this battery technology.
As far as I understand, the synthetic created diamond serves as 'hardest, longest life element' in this, to hold the radioactive carbon locked in it.
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

@Olli: Lithium/air, Wood/air, carbon, zinc/air...I just mean we can read literally about a new breakthrough on a weekly basis. Longer lasting, more cycles, more power...none of them are brought to reall life within the last decade. Sure, in ten years we will have different batteries, but until then you can read about a new breakthrough regularly. It's like in storage technology. We now basically have the good old tapes, harddisks, SSDs and Blu-Rays. In the last years they invented holodisks, Tesa Rom, Stone disks, laser written glass cubes, memristors...nothing you can buy.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
Olli
Addict
Addict

Post by Olli »

@Jacdelad

I focused Lithium/air tech because the developpement is growing for embedded systems (automobile).
I do not think it will be forgotten. Theorically the weight per kWh is 15 times less great. But the automobile industry (in U.K. it seems) has tested stronger batteries with this tech (Li/air) : they are 5 times lighter (weight). There are too, closed with only O2 (oxygen : the real oxydoreduction name is Li/O2).

I appreciate the details you give, obviously the wood/air technology ! This does not risk to be forgotten !

Anyway, as you demonstrated, the diamond tech showed in the clip abobe, really seems to be a nest with very specific usages and a big balance too...

@joris

ah thank you for the detail. What I observed is the radioactive source seems to be the nickel (Ni63). This is maybe incrusted in the carbon of the diamond...