"Executable Format: Console"

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Executable Format: Console"

Post by StarWarsFan »

Short question here. Does a program that is compiled as "Executable Formant: Console" work on old computers that run on, say for example DOS 6.22 ?
Image - There is usually a lot of "try this, maybe do that" but ONLY an example that one can test for themself and get an immediate result actually brings people forward.
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Re: "Executable Formant: Console"

Post by jacdelad »

No.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
StarWarsFan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarWarsFan »

Roger.

Is there any other way to make a PureBasic program work on such old DOS 6.22?
Image - There is usually a lot of "try this, maybe do that" but ONLY an example that one can test for themself and get an immediate result actually brings people forward.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

Download a copy of VDOS that will allow you to run older software and is 100% solid.

Whilst on Console and DOS screens, I can't understand why PureBasic doesn't provide the capability to place text and variables on the screen as you could in dBASEII, dBASEIII and Clipper using 24 lines and 80 columns. After all that worked just fine over 40 years ago.

@ 12,10 SAY "Label "
@ 12,17 GET Variable PICTURE "!!!!!!!!"
....etc
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
jacdelad
Addict
Addict

Post by jacdelad »

No, at the moment PureBasic "only" has compilers for Windows, MacOS, Linux (just some distributions) and Raspberry OS. I don't think it will ever be compatible with any DOS, also I don't think this makes sense.
But you can easily create programs that look like DOS-programs.
PureBasic 6.04/XProfan X4a/Embarcadero RAD Studio 11/Perl 5.2/Python 3.10
Windows 11/Ryzen 5800X/32GB RAM/Radeon 7770 OC/3TB SSD/11TB HDD
Synology DS1821+/36GB RAM/130TB
Synology DS920+/20GB RAM/54TB
Synology DS916+ii/8GB RAM/12TB
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

StarWarsFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:28 pm Short question here. Does a program that is compiled as "Executable Formant: Console" work on old computers that run on, say for example DOS 6.22 ?
There should be other programming languages/compilers that you could use for old computers that still run DOS 6.22, but I think it needs to be a 16 bit compiler.

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

C87 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:00 pmWhilst on Console and DOS screens, I can't understand why PureBasic doesn't provide the capability to place text and variables on the screen as you could in dBASEII, dBASEIII and Clipper using 24 lines and 80 columns. After all that worked just fine over 40 years ago.

@ 12,10 SAY "Label "
@ 12,17 GET Variable PICTURE "!!!!!!!!"
....etc
It does: the ConsoleLocate() command -> https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... ocate.html
Quin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Quin »

Sadly not. That would be awesome ,but it doesn't. All setting format to console does is make your program not pop up its own terminal when being ran from something like CMD or Terminal, I think.
PB v5.40/6.10, Windows 10 64-bit.
16-core AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 128 GB DDR5.
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DeanH »

Pure Basic won't run in 16-bit DOS like 6.22 but it provides a limited set of functions to work with a console window that works in 32 and 64-bit. See the Console section in the PB documentation. Years ago I developed a few additional procedures to do some of the things my favourite 16-bit language, ZBasic, could do.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

a) purebasic does not support dos
b) with a little bit of time, somebody could use the purebasic x86 compiler with a small 16bit stub, to create a 16/32bit dos executable by using DOS/32 and write dos software with purebasic ;)
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

Here is UltraBasic.
It should run on 16-bit DOS.

I wonder how many "mission critical' computers still run on DOS or CP/M...

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Btw. DOS was never limited to textmode or rarely supported native (s)vga mode's. With Vesa 2.0 you could get a very comfortable linear framebuffer with paging support. Just ignore the 64kb segmented first VESA version.

For a fun challenge, implement a vesa 1.0 line drawing DDA version. But a fast, optimized one - no "single dot function call" nonsense.

ps : Vesa back then vs Vesa now
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DeanH »

I've written little DOS-like programs using PureBasic, but they're 32 or 64-bit, and DOS is still a part of Windows. PB doesn't do 16-bit. With the old ZBasic I produced several graphics-oriented programs using EGA and then VGA display modes. QuickBasic could do this, too, and with the addition of extra software, include animation. The educational software production group I worked with did this in the early 1990's. We would make a program for the Commodore 64, port it to Amstrad 6128, port it to the PC (286 & 386 in those days) and then to the Amiga. Port means literally connecting via RS-232 and transferring the files which were then worked into shape. At one point I had 16-bit DOS and Windows 3 programs calling 32-bit PureBasic exe's and sharing the same data files.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Is FreeBASIC good enough for MS-DOS 6.22?

A terminal/console on Windows, Linux, macOS, Raspberry PI is not the Disk Operation System that's usually called 'DOS', or in this case MS-DOS 6.22.