Programming help wanted for our theatre tech system

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
ozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Programming help wanted for our theatre tech system

Post by ozzie »

Show Cue System (SCS) is coded primarily in PureBasic, and the program is used in many theatres, schools, etc around the world. I am looking for assistance in adding new features to the program. If you are interested and have some time available, please message me. Payment will be negotiated. Active involvement in theatre productions would be a significant advantage, although not essential.

See the link in my signature for information about SCS.
techAZrkr
New User
New User

Re: Programming help wanted for our theatre tech system

Post by techAZrkr »

Mike,

I am with the organization MoezArt Productions in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. We have used SCS for a few of our shows during this past year or so. I have personally used SCS to set up shows, run tech live and also showed some of our students how to run SCS live as well. I was so successful at creating an audio loop that students could barely tell where the break in the loop was! You have an amazing piece of software! I wish we knew about SCS years ago.

I am intrigued by your post! I had a contract job end just two days ago, July 20, 2022 and my friend Charlie told me that you were looking for coding help. I'm not sure where he found that out from, but I found this post!

I haven't used PureBasic before, but I can follow code. I have experience with C, VBA scripting and Cobol. I have done binary bit shifting with C, so I can get down to that level if necessary.

I'm sure I would have some ramp-up time to get familiar with PureBasic, so I looked for PureBasic code examples on Google and found the following code to see how well I could follow it. It seems pretty well structured and once I figure out which parameters control what, it should be pretty straight forward.

; survival guide 6_2_150 colour depth
; pb 4.40b1 or earlier
;
; does NOT work in 4.50 or later!
;
OpenWindow(1,0,0,256,256,"graphics1",#PB_Window_SystemMenu|#PB_Window_ScreenCentered)
CreateImage(1,256,256,24)
ImageGadget(1,0,0,256,256,ImageID(1))
;
For n = 2 To 5
color_depth = Pow(2,n)
CreateImage(2,64,256,color_depth)
StartDrawing(ImageOutput(2))
For y = 0 To 255
linecolor = RGB(y,(y*2) % 256, (y*4) % 256)
FrontColor(linecolor)
LineXY(35,y,61,y)
Next y
For x = 0 To 32
For y = 0 To 255
If y < 128
plotcolor = RGB(255*x/32,y/256,255*y/128)
Else
plotcolor = RGB(255*x/32,y/256,511-2*y)
EndIf
FrontColor(plotcolor)
Plot(x,y)
Next y
Next x
StopDrawing()
StartDrawing(ImageOutput(1))
DrawImage(ImageID(2),(n-2)*64,0)
StopDrawing()
SetGadgetState(1,ImageID(1))
Next n
;
Repeat
event = WaitWindowEvent()
Until event = #PB_Event_CloseWindow

Playing mp3 files:
sfile.s = "C:\song.mp3"
mciSendString_("open " + sFile + " alias 1", 0, 0, 0)
mciSendString_("play 1 wait", 0, 0, 0);

I'm sure there is a lot more that you have to control audio playback and other features in SCS. What kind of features are you looking to add to SCS?

I worked for many years in the telecommunications industry billing customers and a short time in healthcare the last 1.5 years. Personally, I would love a project that is a bit more fun than business software!

If you are intrigued at the possibility, please let me know. If it's a bit too much of a stretch, that's fine as well, but I thought I'd at least reach out to you.

Take care!

Randy