Is there a way to print a huge page to multiple A4 pages?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Is there a way to print a huge page to multiple A4 pages?

Post by doctorized »

They sent me a pdf file containing a single page 20 inches width and 200 inches height. The page contains handwritten text. Is there a way to print it to multiple A4 pages? Unfortunately, asking to send it again in separate pages is not an option.
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Re: Is there a way to print a huge page to multiple A4 pages?

Post by NicTheQuick »

Adobe Acrobat Reader should do this: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/p ... sizes.html
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

NicTheQuick wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:29 pm Adobe Acrobat Reader should do this: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/p ... sizes.html
Adobe Acrobat shows and cuts only a small part at the end.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

You can try the free PDF-XChange Editor.
I've got the commercial version of that program, which is very good and versatile.
However, some features are not available in the free version, so I can't promise that the free version can do this job for you.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Modern printers have a "tile" or "poster" setting to print a page like that - no other software needed. Have you checked yours?
Last edited by BarryG on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TassyJim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TassyJim »

If it's only the one time,
Try using adobe 'pdf to png' then crop individual parts in your preferred image program and print.

https://www.adobe.com/au/acrobat/online/pdf-to-jpg.html

Jim
bembulak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bembulak »

If you want something OpenSource, try Posterazor. https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/
cheers,

bembulak
Michael Vogel
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael Vogel »

Little John wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:33 pm You can try the free PDF-XChange Editor.
I've got the commercial version of that program, which is very good and versatile.
However, some features are not available in the free version, so I can't promise that the free version can do this job for you.
+1 this is a really good product with a brilliant support as well, for printing their printer driver Printer Lite should be already fine for creating a tiled output.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

Thank you all for the replays. The only solution that worked was print screen part by part. As Adobe Acrobat could show only a part of the page and not the whole page, all other solutions failed. Only browsers could show the page correctly but printing solution there were awful as parts of the page were missing.
Michael Vogel
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael Vogel »

That's bad - and even it's to late now, I recommend to use another PDF viewer (or a better browser) to initate the print. Never had a problem to split pages when using the free PDF XChange Editor or the discontinued but free XChange Viewer. Maybe you'd like to have a look into the online manual (search for split pages or print options).
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

@BarryG: why did you delete your post? I had the chance to read it but not to respond. I wanted to be able to print on A4 paper, as my printer supports A4 paper and not A3. By saying print on A4 I mean creating a booklet so the reader can easily read the text on it. I was lucky and shrinking the page in Chrome and print screen helped me take the text part by part, a few lines in every part, and print it, about 40 pages.

Michael Vogel I tried Chrome and Firefox. What is the “better” browser? I thought they are among the best browsers…. To be honest, they both disappointed me a few times when I tried to print something from the web. I am also disappointed in Adobe Acrobat. The latest version of it and could not handle that page correctly.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I deleted because I realized I had no idea what you were trying to do. I thought you wanted a poster made up of A4 pages, then it dawned on me that you didn't. Then I re-read your first post and couldn't figure out what you meant (my fault, not yours), so I deleted my follow-up post because I thought it was irrelevant.

BTW, Firefox lets you zoom out of an oversized document (such as a long web page or PDF), and then you can save that document as a single long image screenshot (right-click it, select "Take screenshot", then click "Save full page"). Then covert that long image to PDF with something like IrfanView, or save the image from Firefox to any PDF printer driver. That's how I'd do it.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Poster option under the Adobe Reader main print dialog.

Windows 10/11 Options(bottom right)>Printer Properties>Page Setup>Tiling/Poster under layouts

Both have scale and margin to play with to get font size where it's readable. You can get to the 10/11 dialog through all browser print dialogs.

FYI people who do posters and use large format cameras do this all the time. Take note of margin and border settings for A4, A5, 4X6 glossy etc..

If you want to do big prints with small images you can use A.I. upscaling these days. Also, Canon and Epson usually give free WYSIWYG software to do stuff like seemless A4 based posters; you don't have to tune margin and border settings on those. Linux and Mac have loosely maintained solutions that actually only print posters from bitmaps and documents(Posterazor etc..)..
The truth hurts.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

tj1010 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:14 amPoster option under the Adobe Reader main print dialog.
He's not asking for a single large poster - that's also what I initially thought. He wants to create a booklet made up of A4 pages.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

doctorized wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm They sent me a pdf file containing a single page 20 inches width and 200 inches height. The page contains handwritten text. Is there a way to print it to multiple A4 pages? Unfortunately, asking to send it again in separate pages is not an option.
Is it standard size text? in columns? multiple pages on a roll?
I have been using FinePrint for years. It's a virtual printer (like a PDF printer) but it allows you to make multiple pages in one, booklets, edit (delete areas, add text, logo etc), trim etc.
(It's not freeware, sorry, sometimes you have to pay people for their work)
:idea: It is a program that has been around for a very long time and is very useful for printing tests to avoid wasting paper.

Otherwise, yes, PDF-XChange Editor (Excellent value for money). The paid version (plus) also has a built-in OCR

(Sorry for the mention of commercial programs the moderator can delete if necessary)
:wink: