PureBasic apps found in the wild

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

PureBasic apps found in the wild

Post by BarryG »

I was browsing the Reddit page "Software" today and saw this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/software/comme ... s/ijll5mv/

It was a nice surprise for me to see it was a PureBasic app from our very own horst here. Nice!

So, has anyone else ever accidentally stumbled across a PureBasic app in the wild like this? If so, post the links here.

Remember: This topic is NOT about announcing your own apps, but for when you find posts by non-PureBasic users recommending a PureBasic app on a forum or other website somewhere (like Reddit).

PureBasic coders can already submit their own apps in the "Announcements" area -> viewforum.php?f=14

Thank you!
Last edited by BarryG on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:01 am, edited 11 times in total.
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic apps in the wild

Post by Janni »

Nice 8)
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail ... 8?hl=en-us

Could do with more reviews and exposure I guess. Works very fine here.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

But that's not stumbling across it in the wild; that's just a direct marketing link to it. I'm talking about when you're web surfing and someone else has linked to a PureBasic app that you weren't expecting to see, like in my post.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Well, it is out there in the wild and is mentioned on stackoverflow or whatever. That is just a download link to it.

ps it was https://superuser.com/questions/18215/i ... 24#1732624
That link is more to your liking?

Then again, how would one know for sure which language was used... I don't expect much 'sophisticated' free or commercial software to be written in PB btw. So any mention is welcome I guess? Is there a list of known PB software?
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Yes, that SuperUser link is the type of "in the wild" that I mean. So we can see what people are saying when they link to it. Nice addition to the topic!

As for "how will we know", well that's the point of this topic. Just add them when you stumble on them.
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

BarryG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:00 am Just add them when you stumble on them.
By "stumble" I guess we all google our apps so see where they are on the interwebs :lol:
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Hence why it would be good to have a curated list of PB developed applications... if they are finished, polished and useful. That is... if there is indeed content to show. The current show case section on PB's home page is old and 'I am not impressed'. Screenshots miss product information and a link. Some (many?) of them are not available any more (just try to find the 'homepage' of a random shown product/author).
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Post by Caronte3D »

I agree, an updated section of: "Made with PureBasic" would be very interesant :wink:
JoeC4281
User
User

Post by JoeC4281 »

Deleted.
Last edited by JoeC4281 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Again: The idea of this topic is to share any links you stumble on in the wild about PureBasic; not about self-promotion or linking to your own apps.
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

BarryG wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:45 am Again: The idea of this topic is to share any links you stumble on in the wild about PureBasic; not about self-promotion or linking to your own apps.
I was randomly searching Google for DLL related info and one of the search results was Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureBasic

Of course it lists info about PureBasic but also at the bottom under References it lists links to...
http://www.purearea.net/pb/CodeArchiv/English.html
http://www.horstmuc.de/win.htm
http://purevision.reelmedia.org/

And purearea.net contains links to many apps written in PureBasic.
Image Image
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

There's has never been an issue with people having a plug at their own applications that's what the showcase part of the forum is for. The problem is we're a bunch of tire kicking code snobs and suffer tall poppy syndrome and or code envy. Maybe if we showed some more appreciation once in a while we'd have more people posting interesting things. The forum used to be full-on new things all the time. There are plenty of seriously smart talented pb developers who would post if the forum wasn't an echo chamber, give credit when credits due, cooperate, teach, inspire. We are really lucky that we still have a functional community.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I try to help most here where I can. Unfortunately, I see that beginners have less and less basic knowledge of maths (integer or floating point calculations), construction and operation of computers (processor, memory, interfaces).
Then they try to bend the standards and operation of the GUI of the OS.

I still come from the time when there was no WEB or at least BTX. Starting with a home computer with 1kb memory. Later I built my own computer, because ready-made ones were much too expensive.
Without the basics of the hardware, you couldn't get very far with programming.

Today I work as a developer in the field of automation. When apprentices want to join in and only ask a few simple questions, I usually fall behind. (How much is 5 / 10 ... ... ... 2)

I had to get rid of that
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

mk-soft wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:23 pm I try to help most here where I can. Unfortunately, I see that beginners have less and less basic knowledge of maths (integer or floating point calculations), construction and operation of computers (processor, memory, interfaces).
Then they try to bend the standards and operation of the GUI of the OS.

I still come from the time when there was no WEB or at least BTX. Starting with a home computer with 1kb memory. Later I built my own computer, because ready-made ones were much too expensive.
Without the basics of the hardware, you couldn't get very far with programming.

Today I work as a developer in the field of automation. When apprentices want to join in and only ask a few simple questions, I usually fall behind. (How much is 5 / 10 ... ... ... 2)

I had to get rid of that
@mk-soft, your contributions are great, not only do you answer questions you also share useful code and you have a nice clear coding style along with a wide range of knowledge. I'm far to scatter brained to answer questions and my memory is poor so I have to RTFM all the time, getting older sucks and I'm not even old just prone to enjoying life to much and being as my moniker implies, idle.

Main thing is we need to be a bit more mindful as a community to get more user content. Many talented people have become lurkers as there's nothing engaging them anymore and that's a shame, there is a lot of PB software out there and in some every interesting places too.

So come on PB community time to shine, now we just need kcc to post a few gifs of rainbows and unicorns just to show serious we all are here lol

Sorry Barry, not trying hijack your thread.