Does size matter !!!

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does size matter !!!

Post by swan »

Recently I was asked if I was interested in completing a project that was about two thirds along, done in RealBasic (Xojo). Target was for Windows desktop, not too complex with remote DB. Not knowing too much about RealBasic I looked into it. I found the IDE nice but was surprised by it's resultant distribution overhead. So I did a little test and created the same Windows app on RealBasic, PureBasic and Delphi, then compared the exe. The app was a webgadget, button and stringgadget, type a URL into stringgadget, press button and URL is displayed in webgadget, very simple.
PureBasic: 48128 bytes
Delphi: 2464256 bytes
RealBasic: 4462592 bytes Then add necessary distribution overhead: 284572523 bytes total
Size of files these days isn't such a big deal as it once was nor am I bagging out any one platform but with such a difference in comparison - worth sharing.
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Does size matter !!!

Post by Janni »

Thanks for sharing. I love to see it!

File size is a sign of strength in favour of PureBasic
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

Size, inline FASM and no dependencies where the main reasons i choose PureBasic.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Thats quite a size difference. Fred is still debating about updating the c runtime because if he does the size of executables will rise above 19kb.
Michael Vogel
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael Vogel »

Has anyone made tests for the code size when using 32 bit / 64 bit standard/C-backend compiler?

I was wondering that the 32 bit C-backend results are larger than expected and within the exe I can see some sections (debug_a, debug_l, etc.) and tables (nt_store, fp_move, fp_load, fp_store, mmx_move, mmx_load, fadd, fmul, div, fabs, fchs,...) which are not present in the 64 bit executables. [Windows, PB6.00 64bit]
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

It's been a long time since I used RealBasic [Xojo] but iirc there was a checkbox you could use to specify whether you wanted the platform web renderer or alternatively include webkit with your app. Including webkit increased the size quite a bit.

Imo at this moment PB's WebGadget relying on IE makes it nonviable for this kind of app anyway.