DNScope.io

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

DNScope.io

Post by idle »

Dnscope.io Scopes up! Get your scopes up and accelerate your web traffic.
It's a DNS cache and DNS firewall in one, blocks unwanted system and web traffic at the os level. preloaded with ~ 3 million bad domains, it also can block telemetry and automatic updates and anything you want by simple drag and drop in a 30 second live view or by selecting and checking or unchecking an item in the log.

Blocks ~80 to 90% of the DNS requests.
block lists contain ~3 million domains

It runs at user level and can also be configured to filter the LAN traffic, simply by setting a static ip on the host machine and setting your routers dns to use the static IP as the DNS resolver. That way you can filter the requests from other PC,s phones and tablets on the LAN and it will still failover to external DNS should you turn your host machine off.

Currently its x64 windows only

Features
  • Block Adverts, Trackers, bad web sites, Telemetry, automatic updates and anything else you want
  • Accelerates page loads, with fast DNS Cache sub millisecond response
  • Comes with ~3 million blocked Domains

v 0.8.4.6b

Download from:

https://github.com/idle-PB/Dnscope.io

you can use it portably or install is but if you use it portably you still need control of the machine to set the dns to either the static IP of machine or localhost 127.0.0.1

1) On first install, it won't be 100% effective until you restart the computer as the windows dns cache will still be active

2) You also need to disable IPV6, it's temporary.

3) Turn off secure dns in your browser. Go to setting tab and search for dns.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: DNScope.io

Post by BarryG »

Does this block specific URLs on a router level? Been wanting to ban my kids watching YouTube for years but everything I've tried has failed.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

BarryG wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:16 am Does this block specific URLs on a router level? Been wanting to ban my kids watching YouTube for years but everything I've tried has failed.
Yes if you set a static IP for your PC and then set your routers primary DNS to your PC it will filter the DNS to whatever you choose, it's quite effective.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I meant on a router level, say if my PC was turned off and they try to watch YouTube on their phone using my router's wi-fi?
NicTheQuick
Addict
Addict

Post by NicTheQuick »

BarryG wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:36 am I meant on a router level, say if my PC was turned off and they try to watch YouTube on their phone using my router's wi-fi?
No. DNS filters can always be avoided if you can set the DNS server by yourself which is possible on Android very easily. If you don't want your kids to do certain things on their phone, use the parental control mode of their phone.
The english grammar is freeware, you can use it freely - But it's not Open Source, i.e. you can not change it or publish it in altered way.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

It's not just their phones, but their Xbox, school laptop, etc. Anyway, I can see it's not doable. Thanks anyway!
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

If the PC hosting the app is off then it just falls back to the secondary dns.
There are numerous dns providers that will do filters but same applies if the kids have the keys they can unlock whatever you set up
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

NicTheQuick wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:44 am
BarryG wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:36 am I meant on a router level, say if my PC was turned off and they try to watch YouTube on their phone using my router's wi-fi?
No. DNS filters can always be avoided if you can set the DNS server by yourself which is possible on Android very easily. If you don't want your kids to do certain things on their phone, use the parental control mode of their phone.
If you leave the keys in the lock of course it can be circumvented. DNScope will filter the LAN effectively if the user devices are set up appropriately and you can even set it up so the DNS doesn't resolve to a secondary and in that case if you turn off the host it will block all traffic. It's not like you've got anything to loose from using it, it's a free product that will have some paid extras should you choose.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

It's quite an eye opener to see how much crap can be dragged in visiting a website

here's a screen shot from visiting cnn, that's just one click and look at all the red, there's still at least a dozen more in the denied list.

idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Pre release v0.7.0a is available. you will need to go through the checkout at the moment or PM me.

Added an install and uninstall.
*don't put it in a folder with a space in the name or the uninstall won't work! :oops:

It should work reasonably well without much training as it's got ~800,000 urls in it's filters but you will still need to fine tune it.

My own block list is currently 1333 and allowed 738, that has taken 2 weeks browsing. and when the cache is current page load times are in micro seconds.

There will be some annoying lags while it resolves expired addresses, my next job is addressing the pre fetch which means adding in a ring buffer.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

I was asked how is different from an in browser ad blocker. An ad blocker just uses a bloom filter it blocks by redirecting the urls to the loop back which keeps the page busy. Scopes up is a dns cache it intecercepts the requests and returns them as either an A record or Nx so the browser will stop asking for the resource.
The cached responses take ~0.0005 seconds or around 5 micro seconds the difference is quite noticeable.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks for the clarification, I would have asked the same question.
I've used uBlock Origin for a while to get rid of too much advertising but also to disable Javascript on some sites.

What about ad blocker detection on some site, is it the same as with an ad blocker ?
You have an ad blocker installed!

The blablablasite only displays IT ads that are discreet and non-intrusive.
In order for us to continue to provide you with quality content for free, please support us by disabling your ad blocker.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

ChrisR wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:52 pm Thanks for the clarification, I would have asked the same question.
I've used uBlock Origin for a while to get rid of too much advertising but also to disable Javascript on some sites.

What about ad blocker detection on some site, is it the same as with an ad blocker ?
You have an ad blocker installed!

The blablablasite only displays IT ads that are discreet and non-intrusive.
In order for us to continue to provide you with quality content for free, please support us by disabling your ad blocker.
I don't know, do you know of any sites that does that? I've just tried Reuters they have very annoying scrolly adds and locks you out after a few reads. I don't know if they have add block detection though.
I would confidently guess that an ad block detection routine would fail with dnscope, the difference is when a browser is told a domain doesn't exist in response to the dns request, it just does what it's told and stops trying to find it. The JS that's fetching the payloads could simply use a timer to detect when a browser extension ad blocker is working as they generally replace the IP with the loopback address so eventually it times out the resource, I think PI hole does that too, it just sends traffic to the local host where nothing is listening, which isn't the right thing to do. The proper way to give it the proverbial middle finger is to say the record doesn't exist, computer says no.

I will also be shipping a stripped down opensource ad blocker, there's only so much you can do with both alone and the two working together with Dnscope.io it will work much better than the current ad blockers. It will also get you around geo blocked content without a subscription, but dnscope scopes up is just the scratch to the itch, the the end goal is a big idea, I just hope I get the opportunity to deliver it as it can't be done on a 0 budget without a userbase.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

idle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:49 pm I don't know, do you know of any sites that does that?
An example here https://www.developpez.com/
It does not block the site unlike others, It just asks for users' benevolence.

I don't know much about all this but DNScope.io idea sounds great.
I wish you the same success as the ad blockers. many sites abuse ads, trackers.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

don't see any adds or warnings