A game like this

Advanced game related topics
Kamarro
User
User

A game like this

Post by Kamarro »

I'll probably be killed and smashed with this question, but I have to do it:

Does anyone ever did a game as "GOOD" as this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJf82vD2LI

Or this, that is a game from late 90's but wonderfull in size and diversity, not just a checkers : https://youtu.be/q8qrj74UV6Q

This is another good example of what I'm talking. No big 3D Unreal games, no Big Company's games, just a good 2D: https://youtu.be/Z57XqNpgfRI

These are just good examples, but I could use many others, like Titanfall, Diablo 3, Dominion, etc.
I'm just asking this, because I've been trying to see good games made with PureBasic and I only can see small childish games that remembered me of the Gameboy little games. Did nobody ever make a REAL game? Something bigger?
Am I the first one doing it? Using PB to create a good looking and big Commercial game?

Or am I wrong and there are a few out there and I just couldn't find them?
Last edited by Kamarro on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Re: A game like this

Post by Caronte3D »

I think you can do games like those with PB, but with much more (really much) effort than using a standard game engine.
Janni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Janni »

Caronte3D is probably right, but with hard work and dedication I think you can make some pretty amazing games entirely with PureBasic
Check out for instance Mark Dowen's work. https://www.youtube.com/@markdowen2509
Spec: Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Are you really putting AAA games like Wasteland, Diablo 3 and Titanfall in the mix ? Even if you could do it in PB (which you can't) it needs hundred of very skilled peoples working several years to do that kind of games. PB is more to do much smaller scale games, mainly 2D, even if you can do really great stuff in 3D if you know what you are doing: viewtopic.php?t=74714 . Some commercial games have been achieved in PB like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7lFvuj6_0
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Janni wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 pm Caronte3D is probably right, but with hard work and dedication I think you can make some pretty amazing games entirely with PureBasic
Check out for instance Mark Dowen's work. https://www.youtube.com/@markdowen2509
Yes, this is a nice arcade game, a bit more platform game than open world, strategy and role playing game, but the techniques used and his level of resolution is really amazing. More than knowing a language, you need to be a general programmer, logic vs language, organigram vs structure... etc.

Is a nice little game, more like an action game. What I'm doing is an open world survival game, more like the ones I referred on the open post, but completely in 2D, Isometric 2D, or what people usually says 2.5D.

Another Yes for your "hard work and dedication". My game is almost ready, maybe at its 90%, so, by Murphy's Law I only need another 90% of time to finish the last 10%. ehehe.... Yes, it's almost done and working, and YES, it's possible because I'm already playing it and is already being prepared for sale. What I'm doing now is replacing some old code, from 2016 and even 2015, and remaking those parts to fit better the nowadays look and feel that people is getting on new games. Also, I made it with a very little knowledge of PB, without looking for better ways of doing things. When I started it, there was no TextHeight, Rotate Sprite and things like that. I had to use self resources to do it.

For commercial and marketing reasons, I can't give you samples yet, but soon there will be trailers available and then I'll be abble to show you. It's a nice and beautiful high resolution strategy solo game, allowing 4 players to play it, cooperatively, side by side, or for 2 players, playing each one with 2 characters. It's basically an RPG, with the look of a boardgame, with miniatures, cards, dice, etc.

Yes, it's possible.
Last edited by Kamarro on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Caronte3D wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:58 pm I think you can do games like those with PB, but with much more (really much) effort than using a standard game engine.
If it was a 3D game, YES, but as a 2D game, I think that GameMaker is not enough, Unity and Unreal are too complex to restart again something that is almost ready.... I thought about changing to Godot, four years ago, but Godot wasn't good enough with files and the use of so many variables, images, texts, and the AI that I could get on Godot, wasn't good for my way of programming complex trees of resolution and learning.

Maybe if I had known a better Game Engine when I started, I could use some. The best I had when I started was RealBasic, much more object oriented, much more "actual" than PB, also much more usable for game programming, while PB was more for standard APPs. But I fell in love with this language, and decided to use it, even not knowing enough from it. Maybe one of the reasons why I've been working on this game for almost 9 years.
The other reason is that, Yes, I am alone on this... even the artwork is all mine, and they're thousands!

I do love PB. That's the reason why I risked to ask this question. I can't believe nobody did something really good and bigger with PB. Maybe they did and do not published the language used. It's BASIC, it could look to low-level for a big game. For me, is exactly the contrary: The real proof that big things can be made in BASIC, without being basics!
Last edited by Kamarro on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Hello Kamarro,

I'm currently working on a game my self but it's not progressing as fast as I would like since I need to work a regular day job so I have less time to spend on my project.

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:18 pm Are you really putting AAA games like Wasteland, Diablo 3 and Titanfall in the mix ? Even if you could do it in PB (which you can't) it needs hundred of very skilled peoples working several years to do that kind of games. PB is more to do much smaller scale games, mainly 2D, even if you can do really great stuff in 3D if you know what you are doing: viewtopic.php?t=74714 . Some commercial games have been achieved in PB like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7lFvuj6_0
“AAA” means budgets in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, “AA” (although rarely used) means budgets around just several million, while the third category is generally called “indie games”, with budgets in the tens of thousands (amounts that a person can reasonably cobble together from savings accounts and ...", this is what I got on a fast Google search.

I was not talking about money involved in production, even if I have to take the title of Indie for my game. I don't agree with this classification. For me, Indie games are a bit like smaller games, easy games, low memory and computing performance needed games. There are great games on the market, made by only one or two guys, and after sold to Blizzard's and companies like that. My game will be on STEAM very soon (soon = months ), I did it on my daily freetimes and weekends, for many years, but I can't consider the money spent on PCs, High Level software for design and creation, or the hardware to draw like big Cintiq tablet monitors, an expense to the game, because I use them for my daily work as a Artist and Designer.

This is why, I can't include myself on an AAA, or AA, or even A company. I accept it, I am an Indie programmer. I just don't agree with that. And about the game selection, Fallout 1, the original, was never an AAA game, no way.

What concerns me is your affirmation
Even if you could do it in PB (which you can't)
. I believe that you are the man behind PB, right?!? Why do you say that I can't make a game like those, if the game is already a reality? Of course, you don't know it, you never saw it. But can't you believe in your own language? Don't you really think that is possible to make a game like those in PB? I'm not talking about "The Last of Us", "Tomb Raider", "Detroit", etc. I'm talking about games LIKE those, and remember that Titanfall is a 2D game, Wasteland (not the 3) is almost a 2D game, and Dominion is a flat Python WEB game with only cards on screen, no animations. How can you reject such possibilities on PureBasic?
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:18 pm Some commercial games have been achieved in PB like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7lFvuj6_0
I saw this video, and Yes, it's much more like what I was asking. It seems that you had an objective answer:

Somebody did it. A game that doesn't look like a Gameboy game made with PB.
I'm really pleased to know it, and I'm gonna get it to play it myself, because for me, this is something to be referred! Something that works as a time spot for PureBasic.

I'm really happy to see that someone made a "better" game with PB. That's nice. Thanks for the information!
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

StarBootics wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm Hello Kamarro,

I'm currently working on a game my self but it's not progressing as fast as I would like since I need to work a regular day job so I have less time to spend on my project.

Best regards
StarBootics
Don't fall my friend! That's my story, that's why it was taking so much time until publishing stage. It took me millions of hours to do it (not verbatim, of course) cause I never wrote the time spent or the money I had to use to make the game. It all started as a bet between friends. "I bet that you can't make a game like this "bla, bla, bla, bla" and put it on the market.
For spiritual reasons, I already paid the bet to my friend, five years ago. It was for me a reasonable time, but I keep it running and developing, and working, and trying, and re-trying... and here I am.

Never stop, just because it's taking time.
Cheers
Kamarro!
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

You can also check B-Game projects, it's very nice games done in PB for Windows: https://www.purebasic.fr/french/viewtop ... =2&t=17499
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

If you have a team of atleast 3 skilled people i dont see why something like Noita, Diablo 2 or even Fallout 2 should not be possible.

You only need to:
- find skilled people that are interested in developing a game and can sacrifice a good portion of their lifes
- organise the funding and deal with scriptwriters, artists, marketing, lawyers, ...

Super easy ^^

If you want to do something like this as hobby by yourself you will probably spend decades of your life or die tryin.

3D and PB... if you sell your soul to the devil and dream in PB.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

TBH, if you are serious about writing a game and selling it, I would use Unity like every indie studios. You can publish you game everywhere and the engine is good enough for small to middle games.
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:10 pm You can also check B-Game projects, it's very nice games done in PB for Windows: https://www.purebasic.fr/french/viewtop ... =2&t=17499
I will for sure, I'm curious.
I already bought and played a bit of this:

And it looks really like Shadowrun's. The Smog effect works nice, ambient animations are a bit flat, but okay. After all, Isometric is not 3D and this was made in 2004/5 when it was comercialized first. It's a nice game for those times. And if it was made by only one guy, or two, is just what I was saying. With a bit more work of extension, diversity and organization, it could be as better, or even much better than Fallout, or Diablo, the originals.
It was a bit hard to make it run, but I'm using Windows 7 on an iMac, so, it's not the real thing.
The video link you gave, is not fair with the game, because everybody is badly critical about it, forgetting that is a game from early 2000's. And much, much better than most games of that era. I remember Command & Conquer that is back again with a remake and everybody was crazy about it. Well, C&C is a very easy game to make, graphically and logically.
Kamarro
User
User

Post by Kamarro »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:27 pm TBH, if you are serious about writing a game and selling it, I would use Unity like every indie studios. You can publish you game everywhere and the engine is good enough for small to middle games.
And re-write everything again? Now that is pratically done? And I don't know Unity enough to port it, because that thing is another world to me. It has the Dungeon Makerf, or something like that, but my game is not much different from other survival games that you may find on Android and PC.

And FOR THOSE who didn't understood: My game is not 3D, is Isometric 2D, is ready and running, but not optimized for sale. I'm doing the videos and posters for promotion, and yes, I've done everything ALONE because, I'm a writter and the story is mine, a SCI-FI Prize from 1999. You may try to figure out what it is, since it is a post-apocalyptic story. Graphics are mine, all animations, videos and footage are mine. And I never asked if it was possible to make it!

My original question is: Did anybody make a game like this? Why I only see small, low level games?

As you can see for the answers from other people, there are a few good games already made!