Dealing with Google claiming malware

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Dealing with Google claiming malware

Post by Oso »

idle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 am People have given up, it's like they're no longer concerned about privacy or their rights. Seriously if you run windows you should try my application.
I think the delivery of technology has become difficult for consumers to fully understand, especially with the move towards apps with an online component. Consequently perhaps some indifference or acceptance towards it has been formed. Not to suggest that they aren't clever enough, but just that they have other things to do, and it has become time consuming. When I bought an Android mobile fairly recently for doing development, I spent three hours preparing it. Partly that was in deleting unwanted apps but mostly it was the changing of privacy settings. The settings have become so fine-grained, to the exent that they are really time consuming and repetitive to adjust. When I was doing it, I made a list of the settings I'd needed to change. It was four pages of A4.

Is your application intended to block outbound connections to domains?
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

idle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:58 am People have given up, it's like they're no longer concerned about privacy or their rights. Seriously if you run windows you should try my application.
How to try if there is no link?
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

@Azjio
The links here in this post

viewtopic.php?p=588571#p588571

or are you making a rhetorical joke as Google would have me do, remove download link then people can look at my page. 😆

@Oso
Yes it blocks out bound DNS but that's currently only plain dns and ipv4, you need to disable ipv6 currently on your network adapter and also turn secure browsing off in your browser.
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

Unfortunately removing the offending content is what they will likely tell you to do to fix this problem, but you can always host the file some where else as suggested.

Also I'm not sure if you're aware but this warning isn't limited to just Google products because Firefox also has it blocked with a link to googles Safe Browsing Advisory junk.

Have you had any luck with contacting Google about this? I'm hoping you can resolve this soon because this application looks quite interesting. I'll be waiting for a linux release :mrgreen:
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

idle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:43 am@Oso Yes it blocks out bound DNS but that's currently only plain dns and ipv4, you need to disable ipv6 currently on your network adapter and also turn secure browsing off in your browser.
I just saw Google's handiwork, although I didn't use a search. Yup, really shocking to see that. I pasted your domain name into the browser tab, but it seems that Firefox's web security feature is taking its cue from Google anyway : "Advisory provided by Google Safe Browsing".

Looking at the software spec, I would say its objective isn't too dissimilar from that of ad blockers, even though technically it's different. The thing is, ad blockers have become very popular, and perhaps unlikely Google would be seen to stop them. I hope you make some progress with this. If it's any consolation, Google isn't only causing you pain, but denying rightful choice of others who might otherwise be interested in what you have.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

@Nituvious
Yes that's exactly what they're saying to fix the problem. :lol:
I got it running on osx so it'll run on Linux and there will be a pi4 version as well.

Yes I will see, I'm probably still dealing with a script and if there's a human they will be about as smart as Gomer piles and just do as their script says which it to reject the appeal as I didn't fix the problem with suggested solution.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

They claim to have removed the blocks for now.
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

It works now, even with Firefox.
I like the fact they have acted very quickly (20+ days ?)
This is even worse than the light hearted false positives from the antivirus companies.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

I wonder if this is why so many apps use a small stub exe to download the actual exe to the user's PC? So Google won't see anything malicious in the stub exe. Maybe try that if Google blocks your actual exe again.
Last edited by BarryG on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

luis wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:13 am It works now, even with Firefox.
I like the fact they have acted very quickly (20+ days ?)
This is even worse than the light hearted false positives from the antivirus companies.
Only 2 of the AV vendors out of 71 flag the application as suspect and 5 flag the installer out of 71 vendors.
I think 20 days is fair enough considering they're playing the internet keystone cops.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

BarryG wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:34 am I wonder if this is why so many apps use a small stub exe to download the actual exe to the user's PC? So Google won't see anything malicious in the stub exe. Maybe try that if Google blocks your actual exe again.
I will be doing that soon for auto updates and building the blocklists from chosen categories.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

"Look at you hacker... how can you challenge a perfect immortal machine". Such a classic.
Last edited by Lunasole on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Lunasole wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:35 pm "Look at you hacker... how can you challenge a perfect immortal machine". Such a classic.
The last battle for the internet as we know it will be fought over DNS. They can't control it.
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

I think Google does not like direct .exe downloads on a website. Zip them, and see what happens. I never had an issue (from Google) that way with quite some level utilities.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Rinzwind wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 amI think Google does not like direct .exe downloads on a website
No, it's not that. There's millions of exe files for download on millions of sites ("Setup.exe" is one example).

Google is just acting like the internet police instead of being a search engine, and it gives me the shits.