Dealing with Google claiming malware

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Dealing with Google claiming malware

Post by idle »

Google is blocking access to my web site and scopes up download. I requested a review and they just rejected it, so Ive asked for another review.
It's ironic Google are protecting people against a product that protects people against Google and Microsoft.

Anyone else had this happen to their pb application and website.
Caronte3D
Addict
Addict

Re: Dealing with Google claiming malware

Post by Caronte3D »

They protect their business :wink:
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

Who is providing your hosting/tld? It might help to get in contact with them too over the matter. And obfuscate the download link so that bots can't find it. And possibly add the page that it's found on to your robots.txt disallowed list

Also it never hurts to annoy Google over the phone!
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Caronte3D wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:44 pm They protect their business :wink:
lol, yes like I'm a threat. Googles just goose stepping around in jackboots stomping on little guys.
Nituvious wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:08 pm Who is providing your hosting/tld? It might help to get in contact with them too over the matter. And obfuscate the download link so that bots can't find it. And possibly add the page that it's found on to your robots.txt disallowed list

Also it never hurts to annoy Google over the phone!

I never thought of that, I wonder if they have a local number.
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

You could also try removing the download link for a few days and see if this will resolve the claim. If it does, I would use a link to a github release/build if you have one.
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Nituvious wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:40 pm You could also try removing the download link for a few days and see if this will resolve the claim. If it does, I would use a link to a github release/build if you have one.
thanks but that doesn't really addres the root of the problem.

Perhaps I'm being somewhat hypocritical, as I will auto block 3 million domains in the bloom filter if it's enabled, the difference is you can unblock any content with ease unlike google who make it as difficult as possible so a regular user will just move on. It's nothing short of blatant censorship and anti competitive behavior.
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Post by Nituvious »

Indeed it is probably censorship, but if the goal is to remove the malware warning then removing the offending content and offloading to someplace else could potentially help with that. Some websites get around this by splitting the download process into parts, such as a redirect to a generated page when the download button is pressed.

Best bet is probably just continue trying to get into contact with a support team though
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

Is Google doing this on the basis that your product limits Google's reach, thus on the pretext of your product being malware, or because the executable has been triggered as malware?

If it is the latter and you have a direct link to an executable on your website, would it work for you to gather some information from the user first, before allowing the download, such as an e-mail address, or even just to ask the version and type of the O/S? After completion of the form, forward the page to a download, which itself isn't available to a search spider.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

They have flagged the setup executable as being unwanted software. I will have a registration process eventually but that will be for add on services. I can make a script to generate a download link. I will give it a week and see how it goes
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

idle wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 pm They have flagged the setup executable as being unwanted software.
It seems to me that the dominant players are trying to steer the concept of software installation towards their own app stores, so that it becomes the norm. I think we have to resist that. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

It's already the case with mobile apps. If we give our APK file to a user, they have to jump through hoops to set the device to allow 'untrusted installation'. On Android 10/11 they made it more difficult.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Oso wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:01 pm
idle wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 pm They have flagged the setup executable as being unwanted software.
It seems to me that the dominant players are trying to steer the concept of software installation towards their own app stores, so that it becomes the norm. I think we have to resist that. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

It's already the case with mobile apps. If we give our APK file to a user, they have to jump through hoops to set the device to allow 'untrusted installation'. On Android 10/11 they made it more difficult.
Yes it seems to be the case, Google have purposely made it difficult for people to get around the barriers but flagging website as dangerous in Chrome and blocking access to it and then blocking the application download as dangerous is just an abuse of their market position.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

idle wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:07 pm Yes it seems to be the case, Google have purposely made it difficult for people to get around the barriers but flagging website as dangerous in Chrome and blocking access to it and then blocking the application download as dangerous is just an abuse of their market position.
I think you could argue that Google is restricting your right to make a living. It certainly has a record of abusing its power. It was fined 4.3 Bn Euro by the European Commission, for using manipulative practices, forcing manufacturers to provide only Google's search engine on Android devices. That has to start with someone making a complaint. Along with others, there is the recent case in the US of using unlawful action to eliminate competition, more relevant to what you describe...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dvertising

They also have a local presence... https://about.google/intl/ALL_nz/google-in-new-zealand/
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Oso wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:55 am I think you could argue that Google is restricting your right to make a living. It certainly has a record of abusing its power. It was fined 4.3 Bn Euro by the European Commission, for using manipulative practices, forcing manufacturers to provide only Google's search engine on Android devices. That has to start with someone making a complaint. Along with others, there is the recent case in the US of using unlawful action to eliminate competition, more relevant to what you describe...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dvertising

They also have a local presence... https://about.google/intl/ALL_nz/google-in-new-zealand/
I will be paying them a visit for sure. Its only a small detour to get to their office, I will hammer on the door or window and yell hey google! I have already started proceedings making a complaint to the commerce commission and I will seek legal council later this week.
Oso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oso »

idle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:19 am I will be paying them a visit for sure. Its only a small detour to get to their office, I will hammer on the door or window and yell hey google! I have already started proceedings making a complaint to the commerce commission and I will seek legal council later this week.
This is good to hear, I'm behind you all the way. These businesses follow the "might is right" approach. I remember the antitrust case against Microsoft in the late 1990s, over its attempts to control installation of browsers other than Internet Explorer. I don't think Microsoft paid much attention the ruling. Instead what appears to have happened is that the increasing tech reliance during the 20+ years since, has given them all even greater power. I was surprised that nobody made a fuss after Windows 10 kept installing its Edge browser and other applications — it seemed to be a repeat of the 1990s anti-trust, but without the protests.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

People have given up, it's like they're no longer concerned about privacy or their rights. Seriously if you run windows you should try my application.